Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    A youthful @WhenIwasLittleBoy at the front

• Options
    No way is that him
  • Options
    Great photos @DaveMehmet  

Im gutted I don’t have any from my group that day 
  • Options
    Found my photos from the back to the valley game this afternoon (clearing out the garage held more appeal than watching the game).

Jim Rosenthal took this after the game, I don’t look happy but was off my tits by then.

You the bloke in the middle Dave?
  • Options
    Just after we scored

• Options
    Think this was in The Oak after the game

Met JC and a couple of others in Oak for a beer, when I was over the other week
  • Options
    Great photos @DaveMehmet  

Im gutted I don’t have any from my group that day 
    They very nearly got chucked out, my wife noticed them caught up in the bottom of a box that was just about to go to the dump.
  • Options
    Didn’t take any photos of the return to the Valley. Still have the memories.
  • Options
    Didn’t take any photos of the return to the Valley. Still have the memories.
    I still have the mammaries 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I would love to know what the likes of Steve Archer (standing in the car) and the lad on the car bonnet are doing now - can't for the life of me remember his name but have a feeling it was Andy or Mike? Both played for me for a while when I used to manage a Sunday morning football team but the latter also played rugby for Sidcup 1st XV. He was fearless on the pitch and from what I can gather quite handy off it too!

I also had the "privilege" of refereeing a Charlton v Millwall supporters match one Saturday morning at Sparrows Lane in which Mick was in goal. Steve Archer and Steve Dixon (who also I believe used to also sit behind me with his dad in the West Stand when we were much younger) in our side too. Didn't turn out that well as we were winning 3-2 but Millwall equalised in the last minute of injury time - and of course I got the blame for adding too much of it!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would love to know what the likes of Steve Archer (standing in the car) and the lad on the car bonnet are doing now - can't for the life of me remember his name but have a feeling it was Mike? Both played for me for a while when I used to manage a Sunday morning football team but the latter also played rugby for Sidcup 1st XV. He was fearless on the pitch and from what I can gather quite handy off it too!

I also had the "privilege" of refereeing a Charlton v Millwall supporters match one Saturday morning at Sparrows Lane in which Mick was in goal. Steve Archer and Steve Dixon (who also I believe used to also sit behind me with his dad in the West Stand when we were much younger) in our side too. Didn't turn out that well as we were winning 3-2 but Millwall equalised in the last minute of injury time - and of course I got the blame for adding too much of it!

I was in the same class as Steve’s sister (Kate) in primary school. He moved up north some time ago but used to bump into him at away games every now and then. A top bloke.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    stonemuse said:
    Posted on Twitter by @1dev - 1936. Does anyone know what the building above the East Terrace was?

brilliant ... completely new pic for me ... but not convinced it is the Valley
    Seen pictures with that structure from the 30s

• Options
    Great picture - never come across that before. Mid 40’s I’d guess based on the damage to the covered end roof (and the fact it’s an RAF photo…)
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    It's taken in October 1946 from the caption, alongside the CE roof you can see a group of 2/3 houses missing on the Woolwich Road just opposite the old dog track that must have taken a direct hit. 

The station area is temporary as well after the V1 strike @Tomhovi's mum witnessed that one
  • Options
    Great photo. Easy to forget that the dog track was ever there. I remember doing "penny for the guy" outside there in the early 60s.
  • Options
    Couple of original press photos of Charlton players the museum purchased.

The scars on Frank Burton's face are almost certainly war wounds

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think this was in The Oak after the game

Not the Oak Russ. Looks more like the Horse & Groom?
  • Options
    Possibly mate, we did end up at a pub in Plumstead (The Star?) so might be there?
  • Options
    Just after we scored

Short sleeves in December!
  • Options
    What an absolutely magnificent day that was. Had my two lads back from uni for it too. 
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    kentred2 said:
    stonemuse said:
    Posted on Twitter by @1dev - 1936. Does anyone know what the building above the East Terrace was?

Does anyone know the approximate year the black and white photo was taken?
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    kentred2 said:
    stonemuse said:

I'd suggest after the East Terrace was fully developed and before the war (no military uniforms in the picture), so I'm guessing c. 1937.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    kentred2 said:
    stonemuse said:

I'd suggest after the East Terrace was fully developed and before the war (no military uniforms in the picture), so I'm guessing c. 1937.
    Interesting to see Adolf Hitler…..front row six in from the left!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Are there videos of Paul Parker playing left back?
  • Options
    Found my photos from the back to the valley game this afternoon (clearing out the garage held more appeal than watching the game).

Jim Rosenthal took this after the game, I don’t look happy but was off my tits by then.

Is that you in the middle?