Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    I reckon the QPR game could possibly have been this one
  • Options
    Maybe but I’m sure the market was later as I remember rummaging around with the missus and we didn’t meet till 73.
    waiting for rude comments from B72
  • Options
    Acab said:
    if you look on the right side of the picture you can just make out a poster advertising our next home game v QPR. 
    I lived in Valley grove 82 to 86 and I’m sure the market was when I lived there. Only one home game v QPR during this time 29/12/82.
    But judging by the lack of winter clothing I think I may be wrong about the date. 
    We played QPR in the league cup in and around 75,76.
  • Options
    I am fairly sure I have seen this photo before and it was dated 1971. That fits with the market and the clothing. If we were due to play QPR next match, that was April 71 and we lost 3-0
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Maybe but I’m sure the market was later as I remember rummaging around with the missus and we didn’t meet till 73.
    waiting for rude comments from B72
    As if.
    See you in a couple of weeks  🍺🍺
  • Options
    From cabbles snr

• Options
    edited May 2022
    On the right hand side of the picture (previous page) there is a poster advertising a game - which could be related to either of these programmes, but he thinks more 73 
  • Options
    Just seen this on facebook
    (11) Facebook

Woah, the miseries he must of seen...at The Valley!
    There are a few of us, also in their 70s that have witness some s""t over the years
  • Options
    After a real good squint at the photo, I think there might be enough on the poster to indicate that the QPR game was on a Monday, and with a single digit date.

I fancy it's the Bob Curtis Testimonial game.

Mrs Rudd also believes that the market was there from about 1976 onwards so, if it survived for a couple of years, that would all fit together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just seen this on facebook
    (11) Facebook

I'm going for c. 1971, and guessing the old boy at the front is mid 70's. Lets assume he's a local lad.

Born in Queen Victoria's reign.
    Served in WW1
    Saw the club's first game at The Valley in 1919.
    Was one of 75,031 against Villa in 1938.
    Served in the Home Guard in WW2 and watched the blitz from the top of Charlton Church Lane.
    Had multiple trips to Wembley and saw us win the cup in 1947.
    Watched the 1953 Coronation on TV.
    Shook Sam Bartrams hand after his final game at The Valley in 1956.
    Saw man walk on the moon in 1969.
    Was contemplating seeing Charlton back in Division 3...

Back in the 70's, all blokes over 40 looked and dressed like this. 
  • Options
    Found this one on Getty Images (apologies if already been posted before ) - defo 70’s from the flares !!

Wish we still had that entrance sign - it’s lovely 

Anyone recognise themselves ???

• Options
    Found this one on Getty Images (apologies if already been posted before ) - defo 70’s from the flares !!

Who concert i think 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    @blackpool72 70/71?
    I've been going since 1967/8 season. What happened in Blackpool in 72 refers to an eventful day out.
    I think we need to know more than just that blackpool72 😄

This has got to be one of my favourite threads.  It’s going to take a fortnight to troll through the whole lot.  Nice to see that picture of our Fanny with the flowers by the way (page 3).
    I'll let @blackpool72 speak for himself, but the eventful day that I recall was our 0-5 defeat on the final day that condemned us to relegation.

I think we had to match or better Fulham's result, but a legendary Warman own goal helped us along the path to gloom and misery.
    There is an old thread somewhere regarding Blackpool away in 72.

I'm afraid I can't comment to much on the actual game as along with about 30 other fans, some who post on here we spent the entire day in Blackpool Nick. 
    You were lucky....I got married . The same evening England list to Germany 1-3 in the European Nations Cup.
    Hopefully you are still happily married. 
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Who concert i think 
    Yep.
    No silk scarves hanging from wrists. 😁
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Photos of Nick Drake from top of Gilberts pit looking over the Thames. well it looks to be where these photos are taken but it might be closer to woolwich? any ideas?

http://transpont.blogspot.com/2012/05/nick-drake-in-se-london.html

Blowup the famous swinging 60s thriller was filmed in Maryon Park next door. 

https://www2.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/features/blowup-michelangelo-antonioni-london-locations
  • Options

Bump
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    Gribbo said:

NYD fixture, I think.
  • Options

Bump
    The fella walking past nearest the camera is Colin Salter, elder brother of Keith Salter.
  • Options

Barbers must have had it tough them days.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:

Feck Barbers.
    Hated those annoying, patronising gits when you first go for a haircut without your Mum.  :)
    Went four years without a haircut, from skinhead to that look in the picture.
    By the time I got my hair cut again I went to a hairdresser up town.
    Stick your one for the weekend up your arse Barber  :D
  • Options
    Hal1x said:

Feck Barbers.
    Hated those annoying, patronising gits when you first go for a haircut without your Mum.  :)
    Hal1x said:

Feck Barbers.
    Ha. My mum trimmed my locks once a year for years. Still have the scissors.
  • Options
    The barber of choice when we were growing up in SE7 was a small place in Charlton Church Lane ... next to Hindwood's on the corner of Floyd Road.  Where Sainsbury's is now.

As kids, we had to sit on a plank of wood stretched across the barber's chair.

I have a recollection of listening to the radio there as England beat Mexico 8-0 one glorious midweek afternoon.

England 8 Mexico 0 1961 - YouTube

Anyone else able to carbon date a haircut when they were 9?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    The barber of choice when we were growing up in SE7 was a small place in Charlton Church Lane ... next to Hindwood's on the corner of Floyd Road.  Where Sainsbury's is now.

I have a recollection of listening to the radio there as England beat Mexico 8-0 one glorious midweek afternoon.

I do remember as a seven year old being asked what I was good at at school. When I said arifmatik, he asked me what 15x15 was. I’d only done up to the twelve times table but quickly worked out 150 +50+25 which left him suitably impressed. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Dave Rudd said:

That was Andrews. Still there and run by his son.
     I was taken there from about 6 upwards.

in fact Andrews is further up the road.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Dave Rudd said:

That was Andrews. Still there and run by his son.
     I was taken there from about 6 upwards.

in fact Andrews is further up the road.

The barber that I'm talking about is where I described.  Between the Barclay's bank and Hindwood's.  Your place is up the hill beyond Wellington Gardens.

Quite a different place.  Maybe they moved premises?