Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options

Interesting to see Adolf Hitler…..front row six in from the left!
    Must have been the Christmas Day 1914.
  • Options

Adolf Hitler in 1914 - not sure which match this is?

• Options
    Ross said:

Poland (A)
    Sorry to piss on the joke, but no-one could have played Poland, home or away, in 1914 as it wasn't a unified nation state at that point (sulks back into pedantic corner).
    Booo, don't let the truth get in the way of a good joke  :)
  • Options
    Ross said:

Poland (A)
    Sorry to piss on the joke, but no-one could have played Poland, home or away, in 1914 as it wasn't a unified nation state at that point (sulks back into pedantic corner).
    No, its a good point @pedantSporadic and thinking about it, I'm pretty sure now that it was the announcement of the fixture: Germany v Russia made before a huge crowd in the Munich Odenplatz in early August 1914.

or maybe it's Prussia v Russia (before Sporadic emerges from the corner and starts to examine!)

• Options
    I think that’s the first game I bunkin for 
  • Options
    Didn’t take any photos of the return to the Valley. Still have the memories.
    This just SO helpful on a “photos” thread. 
  • Options
    Didn’t take any photos of the return to the Valley. Still have the memories.
    This just SO helpful on a “photos” thread. 

It is actually. A photo doesn’t tell you the story, it simply records a moment in time and leaves you ask the questions that only somebody who was there and has the memories can answer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just seen this on facebook
    (11) Facebook

I'm going for c. 1971, and guessing the old boy at the front is mid 70's. Lets assume he's a local lad.

Born in Queen Victoria's reign.
    Served in WW1
    Saw the club's first game at The Valley in 1919.
    Was one of 75,031 against Villa in 1938.
    Served in the Home Guard in WW2 and watched the blitz from the top of Charlton Church Lane.
    Had multiple trips to Wembley and saw us win the cup in 1947.
    Watched the 1953 Coronation on TV.
    Shook Sam Bartrams hand after his final game at The Valley in 1956.
    Saw man walk on the moon in 1969.
    Was contemplating seeing Charlton back in Division 3...

• Options
    Could right about c.1971. Looks like when they held a market there. Not sure whether it was on a Saturday or Sunday.
  • Options
    (11) Facebook

Was there a story with it? Looks like some sort of market in the car park.
  • Options
    (11) Facebook

I'm going for c. 1971, and guessing the old boy at the front is mid 70's. Lets assume he's a local lad.

Born in Queen Victoria's reign.
    Served in WW1
    Saw the club's first game at The Valley in 1919.
    Was one of 75,031 against Villa in 1938.
    Served in the Home Guard in WW2 and watched the blitz from the top of Charlton Church Lane.
    Had multiple trips to Wembley and saw us win the cup in 1947.
    Watched the 1953 Coronation on TV.
    Shook Sam Bartrams hand after his final game at The Valley in 1956.
    Saw man walk on the moon in 1969.
    Was contemplating seeing Charlton back in Division 3...

Have a bit of respect please. That “old boy” is @blackpool72
  • Options
    Could right about c.1971. Looks like when they held a market there. Not sure whether it was on a Saturday or Sunday.
    Looking at the women's clothing and some of the kids I would go for something in the 60's not 71.
  • Options
    Looking at the women's clothing and some of the kids I would go for something in the 60's not 71.
    *mike swiftly went to his wardrobe to see when he bought his latest clobber (when he used to dress as a Doris)
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    My recollection is that it was Rodney Stone who came up with the market idea.  A potential money-spinner, eh?  Eat your heart out, Mumford.

If I'm right, that makes the photo early- to mid-1970s.

Charlton Athletic football club | Rodney Stone | General Manager | Football | Today | 1975 - Bing video
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    My recollection is that it was Rodney Stone who came up with the market idea.  A potential money-spinner, eh?  Eat your heart out, Mumford.

If I'm right, that makes the photo early- to mid-1970s.
    I believe you are correct
  • Options
    Market was there to at least 1973 as it was my first experience of the valley, it was midweek I think, 
    I was blown away by. the size of the ground and begged my brother to take me to a game,

• Options
    *mike swiftly went to his wardrobe to see when he bought his latest clobber (when he used to dress as a Doris)
    We all A lot of men dressed as women in the 1970s.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    @blackpool72 70/71?
    I've been going since 1967/8 season. What happened in Blackpool in 72 refers to an eventful day out.
    I think we need to know more than just that blackpool72 😄

This has got to be one of my favourite threads.  It’s going to take a fortnight to troll through the whole lot.  Nice to see that picture of our Fanny with the flowers by the way (page 3).
  • Options
    @blackpool72 70/71?
    I've been going since 1967/8 season. What happened in Blackpool in 72 refers to an eventful day out.

This has got to be one of my favourite threads.  It’s going to take a fortnight to troll through the whole lot.  Nice to see that picture of our Fanny with the flowers by the way (page 3).
    I'll let @blackpool72 speak for himself, but the eventful day that I recall was our 0-5 defeat on the final day that condemned us to relegation.

I think we had to match or better Fulham's result, but a legendary Warman own goal helped us along the path to gloom and misery.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    @blackpool72 70/71?

I'll let @blackpool72 speak for himself, but the eventful day that I recall was our 0-5 defeat on the final day that condemned us to relegation.

I think we had to match or better Fulham's result, but a legendary Warman own goal helped us along the path to gloom and misery.
    There is an old thread somewhere regarding Blackpool away in 72.

I'm afraid I can't comment to much on the actual game as along with about 30 other fans, some who post on here we spent the entire day in Blackpool Nick. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    @blackpool72 70/71?

There is an old thread somewhere regarding Blackpool away in 72.

I'm afraid I can't comment to much on the actual game as along with about 30 other fans, some who post on here we spent the entire day in Blackpool Nick. 
    They’ve only just closed that Nick in the last couple of years, there’s a new one on the outskirts of town. Should you wish to visit.
  • Options
    I made it to Bloomfield Road in time for kick off. At the time, I felt that those who were detained got a better deal. Can’t believe it was 50 years ago. 
  • Options
    I made it to Bloomfield Road in time for kick off. At the time, I felt that those who were detained got a better deal. Can’t believe it was 50 years ago. 
    I was 17 at the time. 
    Quite a few of the Charlton fans I was with that day are still coming to Charlton with me now.
    Life long friendships started when we were teenagers back in the day.
    All old grandads now.
  • Options
    (11) Facebook

Woah, the miseries he must of seen...at The Valley!
  • Options
    I was 17 at the time. 
    Quite a few of the Charlton fans I was with that day are still coming to Charlton with me now.
    Life long friendships started when we were teenagers back in the day.
    All old grandads now.
    14 to a cell good job we were all young slimlines. If we got nicked today only me you and bro would fit in that cell. 🥳
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    if you look on the right side of the picture you can just make out a poster advertising our next home game v QPR. 
    I lived in Valley grove 82 to 86 and I’m sure the market was when I lived there. Only one home game v QPR during this time 29/12/82.
    But judging by the lack of winter clothing I think I may be wrong about the date.