Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    The barber of choice when we were growing up in SE7 was a small place in Charlton Church Lane ... next to Hindwood's on the corner of Floyd Road.  Where Sainsbury's is now.

As kids, we had to sit on a plank of wood stretched across the barber's chair.

I have a recollection of listening to the radio there as England beat Mexico 8-0 one glorious midweek afternoon.

England 8 Mexico 0 1961 - YouTube

Anyone else able to carbon date a haircut when they were 9?
    That was Andrews. Still there and run by his son.
     I was taken there from about 6 upwards.

in fact Andrews is further up the road.

The barber that I'm talking about is where I described.  Between the Barclay's bank and Hindwood's.  Your place is up the hill beyond Wellington Gardens.

Quite a different place.  Maybe they moved premises?
    think the bloke who owed that (back in the 80's) was called George - he had a cracking combover, he moved and opened another shop in Welling High St, near the Turnpike 
    We used to pile in to George's on a Saturday morning for a number 2 all over. Think it was 2 quid
  • Options
    I used to go to a hairdressers called Kayes, back of the Granada opposite the ferry. 'Proper' hairstylist, washed your hair and blow dried it, then sprayed it with lacquer!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I used to go to a hairdressers called Kayes, back of the Granada opposite the ferry. 'Proper' hairstylist, washed your hair and blow dried it, then sprayed it with lacquer!
    Kayes!!!  Tom, who started there in 1961 and ended up as Manager , lived above me in Samuel Street SE18. He was from Italy but became a true Charlton fan once he arrived in sunny Woolwich. By coincidence he now lives close to me in Bexley, happily retired. We always spent the time having hair cut moaning about the previous game, nothing changes!!
  • Options
    used to have me Barnet cut there in the sixties as a kid he would put a board on the seat. Titbits and parade would be the mags to read while u waited.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    used to have me Barnet cut there in the sixties as a kid he would put a board on the seat. Titbits and parade would be the mags to read while u waited.

Titbits and Parade...Hmmm that must have been just after the Freemans Catalogue ;-)
  • Options
    Pretty sure that it isn't.

The tin hat shot is claimed to be 1940 and the Covered End roof in this one has no damage, whereas it has damage in the 1944 one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Here’s a press photo from 1946. On the back it says: ‘Gunnar Nordahl, Sweden goal scoring centre forward, gets into his stride during a workout at Charlton Athletic ground this morning October 29. The Norkopping team, soccer champions of Sweden start a four match tour of England when they play Charlton on Thursday. ‘

Nordahl went on the get 210 goals in 257 appearances for AC Milan, their all time record scorer. He also played for Roma.

I’ll post the photo to the museum. 

Great photo.

We could do with a goal scoring centre forward or two in the squad now.
  • Options
    Circling back to the hairdresser chat. Does anyone remember a hairdressers at Wellington Mansions on Wellington Gardens?
  • Options
    CHG said:
    Circling back to the hairdresser chat. Does anyone remember a hairdressers at Wellington Mansions on Wellington Gardens?
    Yup, lived in Victoria Way when I was young and it’s where I went for haircut.   
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    CHG said:
    Nice one. What era was that Stonemuse?I was told my grandad owned it. Sid Gaus. Massive Addick. His fault. 
  • Options
    A friend from Milano said:

Oh yes, He is a Ac Milan myth. Called il Pompiere (The Fireman) scored massive amount of goals with Milan side and well known for his physical awe. Part of the GRENOLI (Grehn Nordahl Liedholm) 3 swedish redandblack footballers. We have been said he usually scored with 2 or 3 opponents attached to his shirt and forcefully dragged across half the pitch...🤩
  • Options
    CHG said:
    stonemuse said:
    CHG said:
    Nice one. What era was that Stonemuse?I was told my grandad owned it. Sid Gaus. Massive Addick. His fault. 
    Up until 1965 when we moved to Cherry Orchard Estate and changed to the barbers in Charlton Village.  
  • Options
    He would have chopped your hair then. He always said he used to cut Sam Bartram’s hair. 
  • Options
    CHG said:
    That was the original Andrews. It's round the corner now with Andrews son running it.
  • Options
    CHG said:
    That was the original Andrews. It's round the corner now with Andrews son running it.
    Used to sit on the red cushioned plank as a kid so I could see my hair being butchered in the mirror 😂.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just seen on another thread (how the village has changed) someone mention my grandad…Sid, sounds like he was a butcher. 
  • Options
    Pretty sure that it isn't.

The tin hat shot is claimed to be 1940 and the Covered End roof in this one has no damage, whereas it has damage in the 1944 one.
    Think the 1940 match is v Arsenal 
  • Options
    CHG said:
    Don't remember that place, but the place I went to was on the corner of Vincent Rd and Helen St up from the station, two guys ran it and the one that always cut my hair was deaf, really nice blokes.
  • Options
    CHG said:
    Used to sit on the red cushioned plank as a kid so I could see my hair being butchered in the mirror 😂.
    So did I. My Dad always took me to Andrews original place when I was small. I continued to use them as an Adult when they moved into Church Lane and only stopped because when he retired, he left his son in sole charge and the wait for a haircut became far too long. 
  • Options
    Well this was early February 1994. I remember it well as I had arranged to visit a friend working in Costa Rica. As result I was missing out on the replay at Blackburn in the FA Cup. Yep, one of our great matches and I missed it. Anyhow, we decided to take in a match at the local top flight club AD San Carlos We were looking to buy some match tickets and found the squad training. As a matter of courtesy I asked if they minded me taking some photos. I was informed this was no problem and he then proceeded to interrupt training and made them all line up for a photo. Most embarrassing. I then swapped my Charlton shirt with the nearest fella and took his photo. I still have that shirt. The match was live on TV, so I also have a VHS of the match too. imageimage Here are a few more images of peeps at a Charlton event. One or two of which you might recognise. @Fanny Fanackapan imageimageimage This is from our first match in the Premier League away to Newcastle. Brilliant weekend that was. image
    WOW ! Remember that party well ! Will show this to Laura who's coming to the match tomorrow. Don't have any of the fancy dress party by any chance, do you?
    @Fanny Fanackapan Only just found your request. Better late than never. At least I don't think that I posted this before. Lots more of Charlton fans dressed up.
  • Options
    Mum daughter and granddaughter altogether that photo must have been taken 1995?

Betty😀
  • Options
    Great picture 
  • Options
    Well this was early February 1994. I remember it well as I had arranged to visit a friend working in Costa Rica. As result I was missing out on the replay at Blackburn in the FA Cup. Yep, one of our great matches and I missed it. Anyhow, we decided to take in a match at the local top flight club AD San Carlos We were looking to buy some match tickets and found the squad training. As a matter of courtesy I asked if they minded me taking some photos. I was informed this was no problem and he then proceeded to interrupt training and made them all line up for a photo. Most embarrassing. I then swapped my Charlton shirt with the nearest fella and took his photo. I still have that shirt. The match was live on TV, so I also have a VHS of the match too. Here are a few more images of peeps at a Charlton event. One or two of which you might recognise. @Fanny Fanackapan This is from our first match in the Premier League away to Newcastle. Brilliant weekend that was.
    WOW ! Remember that party well ! Will show this to Laura who's coming to the match tomorrow. Don't have any of the fancy dress party by any chance, do you?
    @Fanny Fanackapan Only just found your request. Better late than never. At least I don't think that I posted this before. Lots more of Charlton fans dressed up.
    OMG ! 

We were supposed to be the Spice GIrls...me, Posh, but not sure who Betty & Theresa were ! And Mrs BDL on the right ! 

One of your fantastic parties, I believe,  TT ! 
  • Options
    CHG said:
    Don't remember that place, but the place I went to was on the corner of Vincent Rd and Helen St up from the station, two guys ran it and the one that always cut my hair was deaf, really nice blokes.
    I use to go and have my haircut there,short back and sides, sitting on a board. 2/6d. Then if it was a cold day you would get the back of your ears flicked by all your mates..and in my case my Dad!
  • Options
    Well this was early February 1994. I remember it well as I had arranged to visit a friend working in Costa Rica. As result I was missing out on the replay at Blackburn in the FA Cup. Yep, one of our great matches and I missed it. Anyhow, we decided to take in a match at the local top flight club AD San Carlos We were looking to buy some match tickets and found the squad training. As a matter of courtesy I asked if they minded me taking some photos. I was informed this was no problem and he then proceeded to interrupt training and made them all line up for a photo. Most embarrassing. I then swapped my Charlton shirt with the nearest fella and took his photo. I still have that shirt. The match was live on TV, so I also have a VHS of the match too. Here are a few more images of peeps at a Charlton event. One or two of which you might recognise. @Fanny Fanackapan This is from our first match in the Premier League away to Newcastle. Brilliant weekend that was.
    OMG ! 

We were supposed to be the Spice GIrls...me, Posh, but not sure who Betty & Theresa were ! And Mrs BDL on the right ! 

One of your fantastic parties, I believe,  TT ! 
    More mostly Charlton fans letting their hair down. Recognise anyone?
    Unfortunately,  there are no photos of Zowie Bowie complete with real guitar and a dozen or 2 playing floodlit footie at 2am. No complaints from the neighbours either amazingly.