Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options

If that was at the other end, it could be Shipperley's OG v Orient.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    You don't see many colour photos of Jimmy Seed, so here he is in our back garden facing up to my fearsome tennis ball bouncers... c.1965

With that stance it looks like he's practicing for the IPL or The Hundred.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    You don't see many colour photos of Jimmy Seed, so here he is in our back garden facing up to my fearsome tennis ball bouncers... c.1965

With that stance it looks like he's practicing for the IPL or The Hundred.
    Can’t be, no room for a DJ or pyrotechnics 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    If that photo is looking at the Members stand then the arrow is pointing towards Croydon
    I take that the photograph is of fans in the Arthur Waite stand. That is where I always ended up when I turned up for a game. I was not a season ticket holder in those days
    just turned up as and when.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Off_it said:
    If that photo is looking at the Members stand then the arrow is pointing towards Croydon
    I take that the photograph is of fans in the Arthur Waite stand. That is where I always ended up when I turned up for a game. I was not a season ticket holder in those days
    Definitely the members stand, the Arthur Waite was given over to the Hammers that day
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    msomerton said:
    Off_it said:
    Definitely the members stand, the Arthur Waite was given over to the Hammers that day

Did they have the whole Arthur Waite? I recall them getting the middle pen of the Holmesdale as well as the usual corner pen. I can't recall them having the entirety of the Arthur Waite but who knows given it was 32 years ago!

• Options
    I’m pretty sure the had the whole Arthur Wait, and I think most of the Holmesdale. Fairly sure we we in the side of the Holmesdale nearest the main stand (I took a proper tumble after a surge bundle, blinding days)
  • Options
    Leave off.
    32 years ago and people can remember what stands other fans were given.
    I mean there are a couple of things I can remember like the little bit of fog we had against Leicester in the zds,  but I should think everyone there that night remember s that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Leave off.
    I mean there are a couple of things I can remember like the little bit of fog we had against Leicester in the zds,  but I should think everyone there that night remember s that.
    Well I have a great memory and 100% West Ham had the whole Arthur Waite stand. I had my season ticket there and we were moved to the opposite side. We knew this in advance of the match being played.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Leave off.
    Well I have a great memory and 100% West Ham had the whole Arthur Waite stand. I had my season ticket there and we were moved to the opposite side. We knew this in advance of the match being played.
    I remember this, but not the fog against Leicester.

I remember the floodlights failing against QPR.

anyone else with random non Valley memories?
  • Options
    Bolton Wanders coach breaking down when parked alongside the pitch 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Off_it said:
    The photo looks like it was taken from pitchside and there are seats in the stand, so it must be the Members Stand as the Arthur Waite still had terracing at the front when we were there.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    msomerton said:
    Off_it said:
    The photo looks like it was taken from pitchside and there are seats in the stand, so it must be the Members Stand as the Arthur Waite still had terracing at the front when we were there.
    It is the Members Stand but for the final season there the terracing had gone from the Arthur Waite and was replaced with the seating
  • Options
    I was at this game 
  • Options

Brilliant - are you sure there are no more?!

I once saw a "colourised" image of the main stand and it looked green. I assumed it was an error but this seems to suggest that it was actually green and cream? It was only red and white in my time.
    What year was that?
  • Options
    Sam Bartram Gates and Jimmy Seed Stand
    in 1987.
    What a great photo 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This was one of the plans for The Valley.
    Top photo looking towards covered end.
    Bottom photo looking from the 
    Sam Bartram corner.
    Plans for ground about 1990.
    Interesting to see how close the ground actually came to the model of 1990. Give or take a few obvious elements it was a pretty accurate model.  

The one big difference is the housing on what is now the car park. I'm assuming the players would have parked at Makro.
  • Options
    Sam Bartram corner.
    Interesting to see how close the ground actually came to the model of 1990. Give or take a few obvious elements it was a pretty accurate model.  

The one big difference is the housing on what is now the car park. I'm assuming the players would have parked at Makro.
    Is this the model that included the 10 pin bowling alley in it?
  • Options
    Sam Bartram corner.

No, I don’t think so. That was a scaled down version that had a 4500 seat main stand (with bowling alley in it), covered end and jimmy seed stand as they were on our return and the bottom quarter of the east terrace as 6000 standing terrace.  The main stand was never built and the east terrace never reopened.  I’ve got a picture somewhere I’ll upload. 
  • Options

• Options
    Sam Bartram corner.

Now that is a good question? Think not.
    I believe the ten pin bowling alley was in the first plan, but if I am incorrect please tell me.

• Options
    Sam Bartram corner.

Now that is a good question? Think not.
    I believe the ten pin bowling alley was in the first plan, but if I am incorrect please tell me.

The plan afterwards