Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    TEL said:
    Loving the picture of the uncovered end - don't think I've seen one before..
    @SporadicAddick Here is film of our uncovered covered end from 1923.
    https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/49963/

Valley footage starts about one minute five in. Some great footage of a very early Valley

Fantastic film, never seen that before or the uncovered covered end. Thanks for posting 
    Amazing! The ref running round in his jacket! Looks like we were kicking the wrong way - Bolton must have won the toss. Or maybe that only changed once we got the Covered End? 
  • Options
    The sword is still in place on the gate .Think this would indicate that The Valley was still being played on by Charlton.
  • Options
    1986 I believe swords no longer on gate.

someone else might comment on this ?
  • Options
    Thieves like @DaveMehmet nicked them.

We have a red one in the museum 
  • Options
    Saved for posterity you mean.
  • Options
    Saved for posterity you mean.
    Saved for posterity if he donated it 🤣
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    spot the difference(s)

There's no cars in the bottom photo and it's in colour

OK. That explains it for that game .
    and prices have doubled. that is some inflation. one picture to the next.
  • Options
    Great photo so the question is who is the game between and date of match?

My guess v Portsmouth 7-9-68

Clues are in that photo, any other idea?
  • Options
    It's a game in 1972-74.
    You can tell that by the sparse crowd. 
  • Options
    Looks like "Killer" standing on the "D" ready to rush in (not the player leaning over hands on knees).
  • Options
    Great photo so the question is who is the game between and date of match?

My guess v Portsmouth 7-9-68

Clues are in that photo, any other idea?
    Didn't we have the all-red kit in 68/69 season? This looks like early 70s to me.
  • Options
    Wow, modern greens…. Not

Looks like the flag is made from a twig 
  • Options
    Looks like "Killer" standing on the "D" ready to rush in (not the player leaning over hands on knees).
    If that is Killer, think he signed February 1973. Did he not take penalties though? Anyone identify the penalty taker? Flanagan?
  • Options
    I'm sure this photo has been on here before.
    My memory is crap but if I recall it is 70's and the pen taker is Bob Curtis as per. Can';t remember the oppo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If that is Killer, think he signed February 1973. Did he not take penalties though? Anyone identify the penalty taker? Flanagan?
    Bob Curtis scoring the penalty. Hales, Shipperley, Bowman among those following in. 
  • Options
    I think previously it was decided that it was against Shrewsbury , about 73/74.
  • Options
    It must be before the Jimmy Seed stand was built.
    Which was 75 or 76. I stand to be corrected on that.
    So I was thinking early 70's. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    It must be before the Jimmy Seed stand was built.
    Which was 75 or 76. I stand to be corrected on that.
    So I was thinking early 70's. 
    Correct on early 70's for the game (see other posts) but out on The Jimmy Seed, which opened in 1981 (originally just a roof over the terrace, with seats added later). 
  • Options
    I think I was there, but on the East Terrace. Loved Bob Curtis. Yes, reckon that was his penalty. Never missed till Preston 75, 
  • Options
    Been some great additions to this thread lately 
  • Options
    that was my first ever game!
  • Options
    I went to a Sunday morning game against Shrewsbury, we were 3-1 down and got a 3-3 draw with Hales and Horsfield scoring.
  • Options
    But with that game Hales was not playing.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    I went to a Sunday morning game against Shrewsbury, we were 3-1 down and got a 3-3 draw with Hales and Horsfield scoring.
    Could be but in that game shirts had white strip under the arm. 

Clues are in that photo halftime score board the flats missing ,advertising hoarding ,kit plus players and ground.