Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    Seen on Facebook today..

So begs the question when and against who.
    Is that Charlton in white with red shoulders?
    if so about 1965/66 season.
    crowd looks packed and no advertisements around pitch.
  • Options
    Seen on Facebook today..

Err ..... surely it's more likely that Charlton are in red?!
  • Options

Early 1949/50 addicts plus Lewis coach.
  • Options
    And a few breakdowns too but they usually got to away ground. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henske said:

Early 1949/50 addicts plus Lewis coach.
    Great photo @Henske

The museum would love to see any more you have 
  • Options
    Henske said:

Charlton Life Independent Travel (CLIT)
  • Options
    Henske said:
    According  to my mum, Dave, they had plenty of pub stops each way when she made her treks and she had some long journeys as I recall.  She standing under the ‘Up the Addicts’ sign and would have been about 21 at the time. 
    Your mum's called Dave.  ;)

Only a joke no offence meant. 
    Her middle name was Dave, first name Joan😂
  • Options
    Henske said:
    According  to my mum, Dave, they had plenty of pub stops each way when she made her treks and she had some long journeys as I recall.  She standing under the ‘Up the Addicts’ sign and would have been about 21 at the time. 
    I bet they were fun days out. We used to have such a laugh on the Lewis coaches. I’m still friends with people I first met on them over 40 years ago. 
  • Options
    Henske said:
    I bet they were fun days out. We used to have such a laugh on the Lewis coaches. I’m still friends with people I first met on them over 40 years ago. 
    Yes she did. Apparently there were a 2 brothers who regularly attended away matches who were always up to some kind of mischief. On one occasion the bus was stopped by police on the way home and it turned out one of the brothers had nicked a trophy from the last pub the bus had stopped at. (I think she said it was stuffed Stag’s head) . The 2 lads owned up straight away, as they had to as it was a pretty big trophy and the police gave them a verbal slap on the wrist and the bus set off again with them still on it. An early example of  supporters over exuberance after a few pints of Northern ale. 
  • Options
    Henske said:
    Henske old chap…..it’s Addicks “not” Addicts…..the sign actually correctly reads Up the Addicks. 😏
  • Options
    Apologies of course it is …….although my was addicted. 
  • Options
    My mum was addicted I meant. 
  • Options
    Henske said:

Don’t be so stupid.

Her name’s Rodney :-)   
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Seen on Facebook today..

But we had that season where we wore white with red shoulders as our home kit 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seen on Facebook today..

According to the Historical Kits website, if we're the team in white that's either 1964/5 or the second half of 1963/4. In 65/6 our socks would have been white not black.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Off_it said:
    Seen on Facebook today..

63-66 variations but essentially the same 

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Charlton_Athletic/Charlton_Athletic.htm

• Options
    Henske said:
    Henske said:

Did your mum at any time live opposite the gates to The Valley? In the flats.
  • Options
    Henske said:
    Henske said:

No she didn’t. My Grandmother lived closest to the ground in Inverine Road. My mum used to live on the corner of Old Dover Road and Sunfields Place SE3, in my Grandfather's Blacksmith’s shop, until November 1944 when a V2 rocket destroyed the house and much of Sunfield s Place. 
  • Options
    edited January 30
    MrOneLung said:
    Off_it said:
    Seen on Facebook today..

I know we did for a season or two, but if you show me a picture of a match taking place at The Valley then the law of averages tells me that if there's a team playing in red then that's the one that's most likely to be Charlton.

But it could be we're in white, particularly if it's right that we wore black socks with the white (like whoever thought that was a good idea?!)

I doubt we'll get this because the picture isn't clear enough but some clues are;

- No fences and standing behind the goal, so definitely pre-80s
    - Sunny day and the pitch looks in good nick, so early in the season
    - No advertising hoardings, so pre-70s?
    - Plenty of Brylcreem on show and no long hair, so again pre-70s?
    - The repair to the bomb damages roof looks pretty fresh, so could it even be 50s?
    - Colour photo and the two red and white hats in the foreground suggest 60s more than 50s
    - If it is the 60s then the odds of us NOT being in red have just gone up.
    - Looks like a big crowd, so we clearly weren't as shit then as we are now - but that doesn't really narrow it down too much as we have rarely (ever?) been as shit as we are now. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Off_it said:
    Seen on Facebook today..

I know we did for a season or two, but if you show me a picture of a match taking place at The Valley then the law of averages tells me that if there's a team playing in red then that's the one that's most likely to be Charlton.

But it could be we're in white, particularly if it's right that we wore black socks with the white (like whoever thought that was a good idea?!)

I doubt we'll get this because the picture isn't clear enough but some clues are;

- No fences and standing behind the goal, so definitely pre-80s
    - Sunny day and the pitch looks in good nick, so early in the season
    - No advertising hoardings, so pre-70s?
    - Plenty of Brylcreem on show and no long hair, so again pre-70s?
    - The repair to the bomb damages roof looks pretty fresh, so could it even be 50s?
    - Colour photo and the two red and white hats in the foreground suggest 60s more than 50s
    - If it is the 60s then the odds of us NOT being in red have just gone up.
    - Looks like a big crowd, so we clearly weren't as shit then as we are now - but that doesn't really narrow it down too much as we have rarely (ever?) been as shit as we are now. 
    White kit was worn for 2 seasons, 63/64 and 64/65.

Looking at the fixtures and teams that played in red, and the crowd, it would have to be one of the following:-

31Aug 63 v Middlesborough - 13,345
    6th Oct 64 v Middlesborough - 11,837
    30th Jan 65 v Middlesborough FA Cup - 17,982

We also played Middlesborough on 23rd Sep 64 in the League Cup, but the crowd was 8,625, and the image suggests a bigger crowd than that.

We also played Swindon and Rotherham in those seasons - I havent looked up the crowds but likely to have been lower...

So if it is Charlton in white (and I definitely date the photo as 1960's, certainly not 70's), then its likely to be Boro in red.
  • Options
    Henske said:
    Henske said:
    Henske said:

No she didn’t. My Grandmother lived closest to the ground in Inverine Road. My mum used to live on the corner of Old Dover Road and Sunfields Place SE3, in my Grandfather's Blacksmith’s shop, until November 1944 when a V2 rocket destroyed the house and much of Sunfield s Place. 
    Sorry to go off subject ::

V2 rocket attack on Sunfield Place Greenwich se3 …. Rocket launched from Hoek van Holland at 01-11 am on 30th Nov 1944. 
    Killing 19 people and injuring 39 people seriously.19 properties were also destroyed.

if you would like more links @Henske I can put them up for.

Just thought I might have traveled with you mother or father on the coaches . Love the photos.
    Do you have anymore to share?
  • Options
    Silly question but did Twitter give any information over the photo of the match?
  • Options
    Henske said:
    Henske said:
    Henske said:

Sorry to go off subject ::

V2 rocket attack on Sunfield Place Greenwich se3 …. Rocket launched from Hoek van Holland at 01-11 am on 30th Nov 1944. 
    Killing 19 people and injuring 39 people seriously.19 properties were also destroyed.

if you would like more links @Henske I can put them up for.

Just thought I might have traveled with you mother or father on the coaches . Love the photos.
    Do you have anymore to share?
    Thanks for the information Lewis Coaches. I know quite a bit about this V2 attack and have travelled to Peenemunde, North Germany where the Rockets were developed before the RAF bombed the site. My mum appears on Utube talking about her experience on the night. Unfortunately she got a bit confused and referred to November 1945 in the interview and of course the War was over by then. ref photos I’ll post a few more.