Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    edited February 1
    Top photo, bottom of the right hand pylon is, to the right, Don Welsh. Five along from him, to his right, is Matt Busby. 
    Bottom photo, in the pale grey suit with the dark hair, is Ted Croker, with Sir Matt next to him. Don Welsh is six along from the left, with Benny Fenton next to him.
    I think that’s Stanley Rous on the far left of the top photo. 
    I’m sure we can identify some of the others with help of senior Lifers?
  • Options

• Options
    Mark Hulyer, Richard Collins, Keith Peocock(?) standing alongside Andy Nelson.
  • Options
    Charlie Hall in the background. 
  • Options
    edited February 1
    TEL said:
    Wasnt Charlie Hall the physio that treated injuries on the pitch? I bet things have now changed when before it was a bucket of cold water and sponge plus a spray was all that was needed in those days. Now they need a full hairdressing kit plus colouring pencils to patch up the tattoos.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    TEL said:
    Wasnt Charlie Hall the physio that treated injuries on the pitch? I bet things have now changed when before it was a bucket of cold water and sponge plus a spray was all that was needed in those days. Now they need a full hairdressing kit plus colouring pencils to patch up the tattoos.
    Yes a real legend back in the day. Always up for a chat too. 
  • Options
    Doris the tea ladybug. Audrey the laundry lady 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Off_it said:
    Seen on Facebook today..

So begs the question when and against who.
    Is that Charlton in white with red shoulders?
    if so about 1965/66 season.
    crowd looks packed and no advertisements around pitch.
    Err ..... surely it's more likely that Charlton are in red?!
    But we had that season where we wore white with red shoulders as our home kit 
    I know we did for a season or two, but if you show me a picture of a match taking place at The Valley then the law of averages tells me that if there's a team playing in red then that's the one that's most likely to be Charlton.

But it could be we're in white, particularly if it's right that we wore black socks with the white (like whoever thought that was a good idea?!)

I doubt we'll get this because the picture isn't clear enough but some clues are;

- No fences and standing behind the goal, so definitely pre-80s
    - Sunny day and the pitch looks in good nick, so early in the season
    - No advertising hoardings, so pre-70s?
    - Plenty of Brylcreem on show and no long hair, so again pre-70s?
    - The repair to the bomb damages roof looks pretty fresh, so could it even be 50s?
    - Colour photo and the two red and white hats in the foreground suggest 60s more than 50s
    - If it is the 60s then the odds of us NOT being in red have just gone up.
    - Looks like a big crowd, so we clearly weren't as shit then as we are now - but that doesn't really narrow it down too much as we have rarely (ever?) been as shit as we are now. 
    White kit was worn for 2 seasons, 63/64 and 64/65.

Looking at the fixtures and teams that played in red, and the crowd, it would have to be one of the following:-

31Aug 63 v Middlesborough - 13,345
    6th Oct 64 v Middlesborough - 11,837
    30th Jan 65 v Middlesborough FA Cup - 17,982

We also played Middlesborough on 23rd Sep 64 in the League Cup, but the crowd was 8,625, and the image suggests a bigger crowd than that.

We also played Swindon and Rotherham in those seasons - I havent looked up the crowds but likely to have been lower...

So if it is Charlton in white (and I definitely date the photo as 1960's, certainly not 70's), then its likely to be Boro in red.
    The historical kits site suggests both Boro and Swindon would have had white socks at the time, not red. So if we're the team in white, which I'm starting to doubt, the opposition may well be Rotherham. But our games against them were mid-winter so surely there would be more hats among the crowd?
    I now Have "Home and Away" open.  

9th November 1963. Charlton 4 Rotherham 3 in front of 22,759. That sized crowd COULD justify people on the "Worthington" terrace behind the floodlight. 

Both kits would match and the weather in London on 9th November a balmy 18 degrees centigrade / 64 degrees Fahrenheit...

Looks like red and white hooped socks rather than all red, which suggests may be Charlton in red, late fifties (56 or 57)? The shadow from the covered end roof would indicate a Sun relatively high in the sky, which would make it early season or very late season, but the state of the pitch would suggest an early season game. 

Leeds was first game 56/57 (23 August) but their kit was still blue then. Were they using all white as an away kit? Would have had a big crowd for that, and first home game of the season (23,299 - just checked).

Can anyone see enough detail to see if there is the red shoulder band on the white kit? If so, that would make it the Charlton home kit from August 63 to May 65, as others have said.

A shame picture is not higher resolution.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Photo 2 of 3 - Audrey Hannant is the short lady in the mauve dress behind 3 ladies in front of her. Audrey was one of my neighbours.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Photo 2 of 3 - Audrey Hannant is the short lady in the mauve dress behind 3 ladies in front of her. Audrey was one of my neighbours.
    and one of mine in Appleton Road.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 1
    _MrDick said:
    and one of mine in Appleton Road.

I used to go to primary school with the Hannants. Gary was in my year. Andrew, the year below. Trevor the year above. When my son was being born, Linda’s son - can’t remember his name but was named after the entire Charlton squad of 1972 - was also there for the birth of his first child. 

Edit. Linda’s must’ve been John as John Dunn was the keeper 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Off_it said:
    Seen on Facebook today..

I know we did for a season or two, but if you show me a picture of a match taking place at The Valley then the law of averages tells me that if there's a team playing in red then that's the one that's most likely to be Charlton.

But it could be we're in white, particularly if it's right that we wore black socks with the white (like whoever thought that was a good idea?!)

I doubt we'll get this because the picture isn't clear enough but some clues are;

- The repair to the bomb damages roof looks pretty fresh, so could it even be 50s?
    - Colour photo and the two red and white hats in the foreground suggest 60s more than 50s
    - Looks like a big crowd, so we clearly weren't as shit then as we are now - but that doesn't really narrow it down too much as we have rarely (ever?) been as shit as we are now. 

Looking at the fixtures and teams that played in red, and the crowd, it would have to be one of the following:-

We also played Middlesborough on 23rd Sep 64 in the League Cup, but the crowd was 8,625, and the image suggests a bigger crowd than that.

We also played Swindon and Rotherham in those seasons - I havent looked up the crowds but likely to have been lower...

So if it is Charlton in white (and I definitely date the photo as 1960's, certainly not 70's), then its likely to be Boro in red.
    The historical kits site suggests both Boro and Swindon would have had white socks at the time, not red. So if we're the team in white, which I'm starting to doubt, the opposition may well be Rotherham. But our games against them were mid-winter so surely there would be more hats among the crowd?

9th November 1963. Charlton 4 Rotherham 3 in front of 22,759. That sized crowd COULD justify people on the "Worthington" terrace behind the floodlight. 

Both kits would match and the weather in London on 9th November a balmy 18 degrees centigrade / 64 degrees Fahrenheit...

Looks like red and white hooped socks rather than all red, which suggests may be Charlton in red, late fifties (56 or 57)? The shadow from the covered end roof would indicate a Sun relatively high in the sky, which would make it early season or very late season, but the state of the pitch would suggest an early season game. 

Leeds was first game 56/57 (23 August) but their kit was still blue then. Were they using all white as an away kit? Would have had a big crowd for that, and first home game of the season (23,299 - just checked).

Can anyone see enough detail to see if there is the red shoulder band on the white kit? If so, that would make it the Charlton home kit from August 63 to May 65, as others have said.

Sorry not going to be 56 or 57 why ……..
    Floodlights

• Options
    He may even be or was a Charlton Life poster!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Off_it said:
    Seen on Facebook today..

Sorry not going to be 56 or 57 why ……..
    Floodlights

Doh! Of course. I completely forgot that they weren't installed until 1961. Makes the argument for us playing in the white kit stronger.
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll always admire Lennie for constructing a great team, getting us promoted and keeping us up. But he really had very little affinity with the club and it's fans.
    Perhaps his dour personality was misleading?

If he said jump I'd say "how high"?
  • Options
    I'll always admire Lennie for constructing a great team, getting us promoted and keeping us up. But he really had very little affinity with the club and it's fans.

He used to go out with a girl who lived just round the corner from me.
    I have had a drink with him a few times but I must say he was not the most chatty person you could meet. 
    I even helped him out once when a couple of palace pricks were taking the piss out of him in Bibas. 
    I was with another Charlton fan and we politely asked them to stop.
    Not so much as a thank you from him.
    But despite all that he was a great manager for us.
    He was a great manager, no doubt about that.

• Options

I have had a drink with him a few times but I must say he was not the most chatty person you could meet. 
    I even helped him out once when a couple of palace pricks were taking the piss out of him in Bibas. 

I make him number one.
  • Options
    The team in the red shirts has a large badge on the shirt, something we didn't have in the era so pretty sure we're in the white kit
  • Options
    edited February 25

I make him number one.
    I thought he was too, right up until he buggered off to Middlesborough!
  • Options
    Hal1x said:

I make him number one.
    I thought he was too, right up until he buggered off to Middlesborough!
    Buggering off to Middlesbrough was fair enough. He'd done his time and served us well.

Coming back to try and nick Robert Lee off us for a derisory amount was unforgivable.
  • Options
    edited February 26
    BobK said:
    For someone with "very little affinity with the club" he kept near 80 vhs tapes of games from his years with us which he passed on to the Museum a few years ago. Thus he preserved the great memories of his era for all of us.
    Admirable, but not a sign of affinity, a sign of a garage clearance…

my sense is he had the affinity of an employee to a company rather that an affinity to the club and it’s history. That’s true of most managers of most clubs, and isn’t a criticism. 

His approach to The Valley and to Robert Lee disappointed me then and now.