Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    Any idea when or where these were taken mate? I’m pretty sure my grandad is in the 4th picture, 2nd from the right
  • Options
    Henske said:
    Henske said:
    Henske said:
    Henske said:
    According  to my mum, Dave, they had plenty of pub stops each way when she made her treks and she had some long journeys as I recall.  She standing under the ‘Up the Addicts’ sign and would have been about 21 at the time. 
    Your mum's called Dave.  ;)

Only a joke no offence meant. 
    Her middle name was Dave, first name Joan😂
    Did your mum at any time live opposite the gates to The Valley? In the flats.
    No she didn’t. My Grandmother lived closest to the ground in Inverine Road. My mum used to live on the corner of Old Dover Road and Sunfields Place SE3, in my Grandfather's Blacksmith’s shop, until November 1944 when a V2 rocket destroyed the house and much of Sunfield s Place. 
    Sorry to go off subject ::

V2 rocket attack on Sunfield Place Greenwich se3 …. Rocket launched from Hoek van Holland at 01-11 am on 30th Nov 1944. 
    Killing 19 people and injuring 39 people seriously.19 properties were also destroyed.

if you would like more links @Henske I can put them up for.

Just thought I might have traveled with you mother or father on the coaches . Love the photos.
    Do you have anymore to share?
    Thanks for the information Lewis Coaches. I know quite a bit about this V2 attack and have travelled to Peenemunde, North Germany where the Rockets were developed before the RAF bombed the site. My mum appears on Utube talking about her experience on the night. Unfortunately she got a bit confused and referred to November 1945 in the interview and of course the War was over by then. ref photos I’ll post a few more.

Thanks for sharing - god bless your mum and all that generation...
  • Options
    Any idea when or where these were taken mate? I’m pretty sure my grandad is in the 4th picture, 2nd from the right
    Behind the woman with the scarf?

Looks like Elvis!
  • Options
    Sorry Dave, I’m not sure which of her many trips the photos come from. I think most are from the same trip but I may be wrong. The Big Wheel that appears might suggest it was a sea side town. Hope the photo does capture your Grandad. That would be excellent. 
  • Options

The second photo down has a stall that names Southsea so I reckon that match was against Portsmouth.
  • Options
    Henske said:
    Sorry Dave, I’m not sure which of her many trips the photos come from. I think most are from the same trip but I may be wrong. The Big Wheel that appears might suggest it was a sea side town. Hope the photo does capture your Grandad. That would be excellent. 
    Cheers, although he’s the spit of my Grandad, I don’t think it’s him. Although he still went in the late 40’s/early 50’s, pretty sure he wouldn’t have been doing away games by then. 
  • Options
    Looks like Benny Fenton is also in that photo slap bang in the middle…
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Off_it said:
    Seen on Facebook today..

So begs the question when and against who.
    Is that Charlton in white with red shoulders?
    if so about 1965/66 season.
    crowd looks packed and no advertisements around pitch.
    Err ..... surely it's more likely that Charlton are in red?!
    But we had that season where we wore white with red shoulders as our home kit 
    I know we did for a season or two, but if you show me a picture of a match taking place at The Valley then the law of averages tells me that if there's a team playing in red then that's the one that's most likely to be Charlton.

But it could be we're in white, particularly if it's right that we wore black socks with the white (like whoever thought that was a good idea?!)

I doubt we'll get this because the picture isn't clear enough but some clues are;

- No fences and standing behind the goal, so definitely pre-80s
    - Sunny day and the pitch looks in good nick, so early in the season
    - No advertising hoardings, so pre-70s?
    - Plenty of Brylcreem on show and no long hair, so again pre-70s?
    - The repair to the bomb damages roof looks pretty fresh, so could it even be 50s?
    - Colour photo and the two red and white hats in the foreground suggest 60s more than 50s
    - If it is the 60s then the odds of us NOT being in red have just gone up.
    - Looks like a big crowd, so we clearly weren't as shit then as we are now - but that doesn't really narrow it down too much as we have rarely (ever?) been as shit as we are now. 
    White kit was worn for 2 seasons, 63/64 and 64/65.

Looking at the fixtures and teams that played in red, and the crowd, it would have to be one of the following:-

31Aug 63 v Middlesborough - 13,345
    6th Oct 64 v Middlesborough - 11,837
    30th Jan 65 v Middlesborough FA Cup - 17,982

We also played Middlesborough on 23rd Sep 64 in the League Cup, but the crowd was 8,625, and the image suggests a bigger crowd than that.

We also played Swindon and Rotherham in those seasons - I havent looked up the crowds but likely to have been lower...

So if it is Charlton in white (and I definitely date the photo as 1960's, certainly not 70's), then its likely to be Boro in red.
    The historical kits site suggests both Boro and Swindon would have had white socks at the time, not red. So if we're the team in white, which I'm starting to doubt, the opposition may well be Rotherham. But our games against them were mid-winter so surely there would be more hats among the crowd?
  • Options
    Henske said:
    Henske said:
    Henske said:
    According  to my mum, Dave, they had plenty of pub stops each way when she made her treks and she had some long journeys as I recall.  She standing under the ‘Up the Addicts’ sign and would have been about 21 at the time. 

No she didn’t. My Grandmother lived closest to the ground in Inverine Road. My mum used to live on the corner of Old Dover Road and Sunfields Place SE3, in my Grandfather's Blacksmith’s shop, until November 1944 when a V2 rocket destroyed the house and much of Sunfield s Place. 

V2 rocket attack on Sunfield Place Greenwich se3 …. Rocket launched from Hoek van Holland at 01-11 am on 30th Nov 1944. 
    Killing 19 people and injuring 39 people seriously.19 properties were also destroyed.

Just thought I might have traveled with you mother or father on the coaches . Love the photos.
    Bloody hell.
    My mum (9 years old at the time) lived in Reynolds Place, around the corner from Sunfield Place.
    She told us about the bomb and waking up covered in debris.
    It's hard to even imagine that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great sleuthing, but just looks earlier in the season than November to me.

You can see loads of short sleeves and the pitch is pristine, both of which points to earlier in the season.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

You can see loads of short sleeves and the pitch is pristine, both of which points to earlier in the season.
    The pitch has a good few brown patches in the goalmouth and on the darker green strip where the nearest white shirted player is leaning forward. 

If anyone is good at Sun positions we might get a clue from the length and  direction of the shadow...

My reticence about this being that game is more around whether that small terrace would have been used in a crowd of 22k...
  • Options
    HandG said:
    Thought the same..

must say the photos are brilliant and shows another generation what football and travel was like just post war.

Thank goodness your mother had the foresight and camera to capture the moments from the past we rarely see.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

The pitch has a good few brown patches in the goalmouth and on the darker green strip where the nearest white shirted player is leaning forward. 

If anyone is good at Sun positions we might get a clue from the length and  direction of the shadow...

My reticence about this being that game is more around whether that small terrace would have been used in a crowd of 22k...
    Google tells me Newcastle United away wore all white with black socks 1961-1965.  They would have drawn a crowd and we were in the same division for a few years then. 
  • Options
    HandG said:
    Definitely Benny in the middle, but as he played from 1946-47 to 1954-55 it's hard to put a year on it.
  • Options
    One question I've got from that picture above. What is the ref doing hiding out there on the right?
  • Options
    edited January 30
    Off_it said:

Google tells me Newcastle United away wore all white with black socks 1961-1965.  They would have drawn a crowd and we were in the same division for a few years then. 
      v Newcastle

61/62. 16,935. 24th Feb 62
    62/63.  12,313. 23rd April 63
    63/64.  18,558. 11th January 64
    64/65. 22,939. 1st Sep 64.

only the last game has a decent crowd and that was a 7.30pm kick off, so possibly late summer sun, but if the covered end is true north and the sun sets in the west, I think the players shadows are wrong - they’d be pointing towards the camera…

• Options
    Off_it said:
    One question I've got from that picture above. What is the ref doing hiding out there on the right?
    Could he be a trainer?
  • Options
    HandG said:
    Definitely Benny in the middle, but as he played from 1946-47 to 1954-55 it's hard to put a year on it.
    I’m guessing that it was probably 1946-47 because my mum had to give up watching Charlton in 1953 because she had a baby by then. I know she started to watch in 1946 immediately after the war ended. She would have been 19 then and allowed to go with a girlfriend. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henske said:
    Henske said:
    Henske said:

Bloody hell.
    My mum (9 years old at the time) lived in Reynolds Place, around the corner from Sunfield Place.
    Your Mum would have definitely known my Grandfather’s Blacksmith shop CoveredEnd. It stood right on the corner of Old Dover Road and Sunfields Place and was very close to where the V2 rocket landed. The rocket hit a gas main in the middle of Old Dover Road which may have deflected the blast and saved my Mum’s and Grandparents’ lives. She was in bed at the time and woke up thinking it was daylight as the houses on Sunfields were all on fire. Her bed was hanging close to the edge of the top floor of the house and the wall was gone. She was rescued by a heavy rescue man who got up on a ladder. She spent the rest night in a friend’s house looking up at the stars as their roof had gone too.
    Only casualty in my family was the pet dog who had to be put down a few weeks later as he was constantly having fits. Everyone else had minor cuts and bruises.
  • Options
    Looks like a Millwall navy blue tie though…
  • Options
    Looks like a Millwall navy blue tie though…
    I knew someone would notice  ;-)  
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Judging by the shade in the covered end from the roof and the length of the shadows, the sun is fairly high. I would suggest its late summer.
  • Options
    Henske said:

Lovely old coach, although the furthest away game I could make in it now would be Welling, seeing as there’s no toilet.
    Can’t you have a four knuckle shuffle before you leave home?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

From the length and direction of the players’ shadows, it should be possible to work out the date  
  • Options
    Henske said:
    Henske said:
    Henske said:
    Henske said:

Bloody hell.
    Your Mum would have definitely known my Grandfather’s Blacksmith shop CoveredEnd. It stood right on the corner of Old Dover Road and Sunfields Place and was very close to where the V2 rocket landed. The rocket hit a gas main in the middle of Old Dover Road which may have deflected the blast and saved my Mum’s and Grandparents’ lives. She was in bed at the time and woke up thinking it was daylight as the houses on Sunfields were all on fire. Her bed was hanging close to the edge of the top floor of the house and the wall was gone. She was rescued by a heavy rescue man who got up on a ladder. She spent the rest night in a friend’s house looking up at the stars as their roof had gone too.
    Only casualty in my family was the pet dog who had to be put down a few weeks later as he was constantly having fits. Everyone else had minor cuts and bruises.
    Wow.
    I'd ask her about it again, but unfortunately she died 15 months ago.
  • Options
    Henske said:
    Henske said:
    Henske said:
    Henske said:

Bloody hell.
    Wow.
    I'd ask her about it again, but unfortunately she died 15 months ago.
    Sorry to hear that your Mum died. Same with me. My mum died 4 years ago at 91 years of age.
  • Options
    edited February 1
    JamesSeed said:

[

Love these photos. 
    Any assistance on names to faces on here would be good..
    I’ve found Benny Fenton again….