Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ant McPartlin arrested

Comments

• Options
    holyjo said:

holyjo said:

holyjo said:

Curb_It said:

Apparently earns £150,000 a week so the fine is meaningless yes.

It's not the fine It's the fact that he's banned for such a short period of time and that a more severe sentence wasn't available.

Driving offences are not taken seriously it seems?

I'm really sick to death of him and his lawyer bleating on about his problems. Nobody forced him to drive while over the limit and he had no reason to do so. I wonder how long he'd been doing this?

If he'd killed someone I'm sure even then the focus would have been on his problems.

magistrate court can give up to 6 months inside or refer it to crown if they think longer is warranted.

could have given him a longer ban an community service on top of his fine if they had wanted to.
    The fine is meaningless so why on earth didn't he get a meaningful sentence? It does suggest that driving offences aren't taken seriously and that possibly his celebrity status got him special treatment?

It would have really sent out a strong message re drink driving if he'd gone to jail. I imagine he'll soon be back on our screens doing his dated 'cheeky chappy' act.

I have sympathy for people with mental health problems but you can't use this as an excuse to drink drive and endanger others. He's not a gormless teenager....
    Our law is not really designed to "send out a strong message" even of someone is in the public domain. The central principle is that the law treats people equally. The Magistrate will have followed the sentencing guidelines as laid down. They are bound to do that too.
    He was well over the limit and driving dangerously and caused an accident - regardless of who he is I would have hoped for a higher sentence if available. What would he have to have done to merit it?

The sentence is unduly lenient whatever the reason is. Treating people equally and leniently over driving offences is not a winning argument.
    The sentencing guidelines are here via this link. The magistrate must ( as I understand it ) operate within the guidelines. IE The Law. Its not an unreasonable argument to believe that sentences for DD are unduly lenient though the idea that all offences should lead to a custodial sentence to me seem somewhat harsh. The judge or magistrate has the power and indeed under some circumstances must impose a custodial sentence if the circumstances demand it. In the case of AP, his offence, the detailed circumstances were beneath the threshold for a custodial sentence.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/item/excess-alcohol-driveattempt-to-drive-revised-2017/
    It wasn't just a case of drink driving as he was also driving dangerously and his sentence seems very lenient. He could easily have killed someone - he knew he was over the limit and on top of that drove dangerously. I doubt it was the first time he'd done this.

Driving offences don't seem to be taken seriously in this country - they're not policed effectively and offenders are rarely caught. If McPartlin hasn't crashed he'd still think it was okay to drive recklessly when drunk.

Community service would surely be the best option as it would at least enable the offender to give something back to the community.

The legal system as a whole fails to deal effectively with driving offences.
    Without wishing to be a pedant - I assume that on the balance of the evidence the police decided that there was not a "dangerous driving" element to the offence otherwise they would have charged him with it. It may seem puzzling that a crash whilst driving with excess alcohol might not yield a charge of dangerous driving but I guess its conceivable that one might be involved in an accident that is not ones fault whilst driving over the limit. I know this likely is not the case in the AP scenario but nonetheless the principle still holds.
    I understand the law has to be applied fairly but it's also fair enough to argue that the law is not fit for purpose on occasions. When it comes to driving offences the law to me does seem unduly lenient and it is an area where transgressions are not adequately policed(I'm assuming due to lack of resources).

It appears to me community service would be a far more effective and useful punishment than issuing a wealthy individual with a fine.

I don't know the exact details of this case but I'm surprised being involved in a crash while under the influence isn't viewed more seriously.

The law is constantly evolving and I would hope sentences would be stiffened in this area. I am alarmed at the amount of dangerous driving that goes unchecked.
  • Options
    IT_Andy said:

Rooney was 3 times over the limit and judge didn't impose a fine He was banned for 2 years and made to do 120 hours of unpaid community service. It seems community service is down to the judge unless this has changed since last year

Regardless of the sentence though, there will always be some judges who'll be more lenient than others

Has anyone ever thought about giving them VAR?
  • Options

IT_Andy said:

Rooney was 3 times over the limit and judge didn't impose a fine He was banned for 2 years and made to do 120 hours of unpaid community service. It seems community service is down to the judge unless this has changed since last year

Regardless of the sentence though, there will always be some judges who'll be more lenient than others

Violent Anal Rogering? bit much for a driving offence
  • Options
    I hope for Ant McPartlin's sake that he sorts himself out and never gets in this position again. He's fortunate not to have caused greater damage/distress.
  • Options
    The fine won't hurt him and neither will the ban. Even if he never gets another job he is rich enough to get by.

However, I suspect that the public humiliation of his situation and the depression that he is clearly suffering from is hurting. Would he do it again? I very much doubt it. So, from those perspectives and taking the emotional reaction because he is a celebrity out of the situation, then I suppose one might believe that he has paid the price - and more to the point is continuing to do so.

All of that doesn't excuse his actions one bit. But then he's not looking for excuses. And he realises how much worse things might have been had an injury or fatality resulted.
  • Options

IT_Andy said:

Wouldn't that be VAJ?
  • Options

The fine won't hurt him and neither will the ban. Even if he never gets another job he is rich enough to get by.

However, I suspect that the public humiliation of his situation and the depression that he is clearly suffering from is hurting. Would he do it again? I very much doubt it. So, from those perspectives and taking the emotional reaction because he is a celebrity out of the situation, then I suppose one might believe that he has paid the price - and more to the point is continuing to do so.

All of that doesn't excuse his actions one bit. But then he's not looking for excuses. And he realises how much worse things might have been had an injury or fatality resulted.

really? his lawyer/agent/representatives have TOLD US about his depression after being caught doing drugs and drink driving I don't see any evidence for it.

• Options

really? his lawyer/agent/representatives have TOLD US about his depression after being caught doing drugs and drink driving I don't see any evidence for it.

He's been into rehab previously which suggests he's got a problem. I doubt he'd go there if all was good.

I don't doubt he's had problems and I hope he sorts himself out. He's done a bad thing and hopefully will learn from it.

If he doesn't take responsibility then sympathy will be in short supply.
  • Options

He's been into rehab previously which suggests he's got a problem. I doubt he'd go there if all was good.

I don't doubt he's had problems and I hope he sorts himself out. He's done a bad thing and hopefully will learn from it.

only when caught doing something that one half of ant and dec shouldn't be doing. personally, I don't buy any of it
  • Options

only when caught doing something that one half of ant and dec shouldn't be doing. personally, I don't buy any of it
    Ah so the other half of Ant and Dec should have been the one? :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He might be lying, he might be telling the truth.
    None of us are 100% sure I imagine.
  • Options
    It now seems unclear why he wasn't charged with dangerous driving? Anyone able to explain why?
  • Options
    Confirmed Ant will not co-Host im a celeb(dec needs to get someone in, thats a 2 man job, its all about the banter)

Also Saturday Night Takeaway is taking a years break and will return in 2020
  • Options

Confirmed Ant will not co-Host im a celeb(dec needs to get someone in, thats a 2 man job, its all about the banter)

Also Saturday Night Takeaway is taking a years break and will return in 2020

Thought we'd signed him!
  • Options
    Is he the one on the left or the right?
  • Options
    Been following his career intently... who the fuck is he?
  • Options
    I can honestly say that if they walked past me in the street I wouldn’t have a fucking clue who they were.
  • Options
    FFS PJ
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably be Mulhern
  • Options
    Talal said:

Probably be Mulhern

Hes done well
  • Options
    Reckon Scarlett Moffat will get the gig... Or all three of them like they ended Saturday Night Takeaway together

Dec and Mulhern presenting on their own together wouldnt work I dont think, partly because of the height difference between the two
  • Options
    Talal said:

Probably be Mulhern

I don't even watch it, but please no.
  • Options

Talal said:

Probably be Mulhern

I don't even watch it, but please no.
    Rather him than Moffat.
  • Options
    She’s top of my list too but keeps turning me down! Shows what having a bit of money can do doesn’t it
  • Options
    I'm not surprised he's f****ng thrilled she's going to spend a few weeks in Australia with him.