Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thirty biggest sports stadiums in the world

This is an interesting list of the biggest sports stadiums in the world. I guess the most surprising entries in this list are the astonishing number of "college" sports represented at the top of the list; Britain's biggest rugby stadium is smaller than India's biggest football stadium; and the location of the world's biggest stadium is... quite a surprise.

The 30 biggest sports stadiums in the world

It's also interesting to think that, if The Valley's capacity had remained at it's 1970s/1980s level of 87,500, it would be in the world's top twenty.

Comments

• Options
    Look how far away from the pitch that no1 stadium is . Must be horrible to watch football there .
  • Options
    Need good eyesight to watch an event.
  • Options
    Great set off pictures, though actually probably not great to attend games at, especially in the cheap seats.

Surprised how big Croke Park is. It doesn't look it.
  • Options
    That's where their first missile tests were. They had to move them nearer to the coast when they finally got one to fly to the car park from the centre circle.
  • Options
    I am sometimes sceptical of how accurate some of these are when I see lists like that.

I've been to a couple of those college football stadiums (including number 9 - Texas Longhorns), and whilst they do look huge they don't look bigger than Wembley Stadium - certainly not by more than 10,000+ seats.
  • Options
    I may be wrong - but I think that Wembley had the biggest footprint of any stadium in the world?!?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Surprising that India would have such a massive football/athletics stadium. And not just built to cope with the demand to see Roger Johnson
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went to see plenty of Penn State games when i lived out there. Its massive.
  • Options

When full, Memorial Stadium holds more people than any Nebraska city except Omaha and Lincoln.

Sold out every games since 1962
  • Options
    Surprised the Olympiastadion in Berlin, the Santiago Bernabeau, the San Siro, the Bird's Nest and the AT&T Stadium in Dallas aren't on the list.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    cafctom said:

I am sometimes sceptical of how accurate some of these are when I see lists like that.

I've been to a couple of those college football stadiums (including number 9 - Texas Longhorns), and whilst they do look huge they don't look bigger than Wembley Stadium - certainly not by more than 10,000+ seats.

The seats have more space at Wembley. Rose Bowl looks a lot smaller probably because of its age.
    You can see how tight the seats are on the longhorn picture.
    sam3110 said:

Surprised the Olympiastadion in Berlin, the Santiago Bernabeau, the San Siro, the Bird's Nest and the AT&T Stadium in Dallas aren't on the list.

The AT&T should be, the rest aren't big enough.

• Options
    I will never not be amazed by the crowds for college football in the states. Often watch games and the size of the crowds in jaw dropping.

Not sure about the accuracy of that list though.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Olympiastadion 74,475
    Santiago Bernabéu Stadium 81,044
    San Siro 80,018
    Birds Nest 80,000
    AT&T - 80,000
  • Options
    Chizz said:

This is an interesting list of the biggest sports stadiums in the world. I guess the most surprising entries in this list are the astonishing number of "college" sports represented at the top of the list; Britain's biggest rugby stadium is smaller than India's biggest football stadium; and the location of the world's biggest stadium is... quite a surprise.

It's also interesting to think that, if The Valley's capacity had remained at it's 1970s/1980s level of 87,500, it would be in the world's top twenty.

i believe that The Valley was officially 66,000 before the GLC stepped in to close the east terrace. not sure when it went to that, possibly after we sold off the back of the South terracing?
  • Options
    LA Rams also play at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum now too.

I've been outside of the Neyland Stadium in Tennessee - it's huge.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Worth noting there would be a lot of other huge stadia in that era, particularly in the Soviet bloc. In the UK there would be 3 bigger in Glasgow alone at the start of the 70’s
  • Options
    Are the US college stadia subject to less strict safety rules than NFL ones? It seems odd that there are not more, larger pro-football stadia when most teams easily sell out most of the time?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafctom said:

The seats have more space at Wembley. Rose Bowl looks a lot smaller probably because of its age.
    sam3110 said:

Given the average size of an American set of buttocks it's no wonder they use benches instead of individual seats
  • Options

cafctom said:

sam3110 said:

Given the average size of an American set of buttocks it's no wonder they use benches instead of individual seats
    Not nice. Looking at this picture I would say most of the buttocks are reasonably sized.
  • Options

Are the US college stadia subject to less strict safety rules than NFL ones? It seems odd that there are not more, larger pro-football stadia when most teams easily sell out most of the time?

I doubt it. Although everyone is preoccupied with the NFL, college football is huge regionally, hence the large stadia. I’m guessing the biggest all sell out regularly.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

When full, Memorial Stadium holds more people than any Nebraska city except Omaha and Lincoln.

Sold out every games since 1962

One that caught my eye because I drove by on the wrong day.

Clemson University has a stadium for 81,500. The town of Clemson has population of 14,000 (37,000 if you include the university).
  • Options

cafctom said:

sam3110 said:

You would need bloody good eyesight if you were stuck up the top of those stands.
  • Options
    Pretty sure College football stadiums generally have bleachers rather than seats which fit a lot more people in.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

87,500 ? No way, it was 75,000 or thereabouts.
  • Options

Chizz said:

87,500 ? No way, it was 75,000 or thereabouts.
    Yes 75,000 was the capacity (75,031 record attendance).

It's got the record for the loudest concert though!
  • Options

cafctom said:

sam3110 said:

You would need bloody good eyesight if you were stuck up the top of those stands.
    The view from the top tier of Wembley isn't brilliant really
  • Options
    So how many have people been to and which ones ?

2 for me. Wembley and Barcelona