Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thirty biggest sports stadiums in the world

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018
    4 Wembley, Barcelona, MGC & Croke Park.

Croke Park could be a lot bigger, if it wasn't for the railway behind Hill 16.
  • Options

Look how far away from the pitch that no1 stadium is . Must be horrible to watch football there .

No-one in North Korea goes to watch football. They all go to avoid being tortured for not being patriotic.
  • Options

So how many have people been to and which ones ?

2 for me. Wembley and Barcelona

2, Wembley and MCG
  • Options
    4: Wembley, Twickenham, Camp Nou and MCG
  • Options
    3 - sure the Nou Camp doesn’t hold that much these days.
  • Options
    6 - Twickenham, FedEx, MetLife, Wembley, Rose Bowl & Nou Camp
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Some of the money that gets pumped into the American football stadiums is absurd.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Chizz said:

This is an interesting list of the biggest sports stadiums in the world. I guess the most surprising entries in this list are the astonishing number of "college" sports represented at the top of the list; Britain's biggest rugby stadium is smaller than India's biggest football stadium; and the location of the world's biggest stadium is... quite a surprise.

The 30 biggest sports stadiums in the world

It's also interesting to think that, if The Valley's capacity had remained at it's 1970s/1980s level of 87,500, it would be in the world's top twenty.

87,500 ? No way, it was 75,000 or thereabouts.
    Yes 75,000 was the capacity (75,031 record attendance).

It's got the record for the loudest concert though!
    75,000 wasnt the capacity. We never officially filled the ground. Of course the most we ever had in the ground (reputedly) was an estimated 100k for The Who in 1974 and 65k in 1976.

As I said before though, our official capacity in the 70s=80s was 66k.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Chizz said:

This is an interesting list of the biggest sports stadiums in the world. I guess the most surprising entries in this list are the astonishing number of "college" sports represented at the top of the list; Britain's biggest rugby stadium is smaller than India's biggest football stadium; and the location of the world's biggest stadium is... quite a surprise.

The 30 biggest sports stadiums in the world

It's also interesting to think that, if The Valley's capacity had remained at it's 1970s/1980s level of 87,500, it would be in the world's top twenty.

87,500 ? No way, it was 75,000 or thereabouts.
    Yes 75,000 was the capacity (75,031 record attendance).

It's got the record for the loudest concert though!

As I said before though, our official capacity in the 70s=80s was 66k.
    Seconded. I remember it from my 1980 football encyclopedia.
  • Options
    4 Twickenham, Croke Park, Camp Nou, Wembley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafctom said:

I am sometimes sceptical of how accurate some of these are when I see lists like that.

I've been to a couple of those college football stadiums (including number 9 - Texas Longhorns), and whilst they do look huge they don't look bigger than Wembley Stadium - certainly not by more than 10,000+ seats.

The seats have more space at Wembley. Rose Bowl looks a lot smaller probably because of its age.
    You can see how tight the seats are on the longhorn picture.
    sam3110 said:

Surprised the Olympiastadion in Berlin, the Santiago Bernabeau, the San Siro, the Bird's Nest and the AT&T Stadium in Dallas aren't on the list.

The AT&T should be, the rest aren't big enough.

I meant I thought they would be in the top 30 and I'm surprised they aren't, not that the list is inaccurate. At&t holds much bigger than 80k for non NFL events for example
  • Options
    The AT&T has 80,000 seats and 20,000 standing places so it should be on the list. Been there twice, imagine something the size of Wembley, covered in, and air-conditioned...really is mind boggling.

Done Wembley, Twickenham and the Met Life also.
  • Options
    Thought the macarena stadium in Rio would be there (unless I missed it)
  • Options
    Not sure if been mentioned already.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strahov_Stadium
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

The Macarana's capacity is a lot lower now just under 80k

It's like a lot of the old stadiums (Wembley, Hampden and indeed The Valley) when they were rebuilt with seating and modern safety standards, the capacities shrank.
  • Options

3 - sure the Nou Camp doesn’t hold that much these days.

Seemingly it does and they're making it even bigger.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35763801
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Smaller capacity than Wembley.

When terraced it used to take something in the region of 180k.

The Strahov in Prague is a massive stadium and used to hold a lot years ago. I imagine @pragueaddick could help with that figure.
  • Options
    That Michigan capacity is absolutely ridiculous for a single level stadium. Imagine how much noisier it would be if it had a roof to keep the noise in.

Sod watching a hockey game there though, how the fuck would you have any chance of seeing the puck if you were up the back?
  • Options

So how many have people been to and which ones ?

2 for me. Wembley and Barcelona

Been past the Aztec in Mexico City in a taxi, does that count?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Would of been a few years ago but the capacity has been greatly reduced....shame cause I have been there.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

The Strahov in Prague is a massive stadium and used to hold a lot years ago. I imagine @pragueaddick could help with that figure.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maracanã_Stadium
  • Options
    edited March 2018

McBobbin said:

Would of been a few years ago but the capacity has been greatly reduced....shame cause I have been there.
    Me too! Flamengo against Recife. 50k there but seemed empty. Rocking atmosphere though m
  • Options
    Been there too. Fluminense v Goias. Strange atmosphere though as Goias had about 5 away fans and won 4-1.
  • Options

That Michigan capacity is absolutely ridiculous for a single level stadium. Imagine how much noisier it would be if it had a roof to keep the noise in.

Sod watching a hockey game there though, how the fuck would you have any chance of seeing the puck if you were up the back?

Good point - 80% of the time you can't even see the puck on tele. That's why they allow punch ups, it gives the audience (I wont call them a "crowd") something to watch...

Napa's comments about college football stadia being filled beyond their capacity kind of backs up my health and safety theory though, doesn't it?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Not sure if been mentioned already.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strahov_Stadium

Went to the Strahov complex quite lot about 15 years ago when living in Prague and Slavia were playing there whilst their new ground was being built. They played in one of the grounds next to the huge one, but the main stadium was an impressive sight to see.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

Me too! Flamengo against Recife. 50k there but seemed empty. Rocking atmosphere though m
    Wasn't a game on when we were there, just walked in off the street.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

I have heard figures of 200,000 mentioned. It was used for athletics, including the Communist youth display stuff, so it is very broad. Certainly when I was here in the early days the Stones concert had more than 100,000. But it is not used as a stadium now. Sparta Prague have a covered prefab building on the pitch area which is their academy. There is an old school 25 meter swimming pool which I only discovered last year at the front next to the entrance to Sparta's place. And a gym and some tired looking offices. It doesn't have a future, but until recently the demolition costs were problematic. Next to it there is a separate football stadium, the former national stadium, which is no longer used either, and the Czech footie association have their offices there. I think it will all have to go. It is high on a hill above the city, prime real estate but only accessible by bus, and not on the route to anywhere else. You'd hope some sports facilities will be part of the eventual new plan. No one will miss the current object.
  • Options
    Interesting re: Michigan @NapaAddick
    Great input
  • Options
    Went to Sanford stadium to see the Bulldogs in, I think, 95. I'd recommend a visit to a major college team if visiting the US - the level of support for the major sides is extraordinary, as the size of some of these grounds show. The games tend to be higher scoring than pro games, it seems to me, perhaps because the defensive players haven't been able to bulk up quite as much as their professional counterparts. Inevitably, people are really friendly. And its on BT Sport on saturdays in the season, august to december.