Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thirty biggest sports stadiums in the world

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Two for me too, Fedex Field and Rose Bowl. Fedex is a crap stadium.
  • Options
    3 for me - Twickenham, Wembley & Nou Camp
  • Options
    highly unlikely i would ever go to most of those as i would rather mutilate my own genitals than watch a minute of that yanky danky hand egg shite
  • Options
    The reason they have attendances over capacity is the capacity is only permanent seats that are paid for.
    The attendance also includes accredited press, team staff, marching bands, support staff plus any sitting in temporary structures.
  • Options
    Three for me:
    Twickenham, Stadium Australia and the mighty MCG
  • Options
    Twickenham (to see REM) and Nou Camp, to see the museum and potter about. Hardcore sportsfan, me
  • Options
    Can anyone explain to me how American college football works?

Are these colleges, like our equivalent of 6th form or universities?

Are these people turning up to watch under 18s or under 21’s fixtures? – the premier league stars of the future, if you like.

Do you support the team that you went to college at or the nearest college to you or is this usually the same thing?

Why do more people watch this than professional football?

I don’t understand.
  • Options
    milo said:

Can anyone explain to me how American college football works?

Are these colleges, like our equivalent of 6th form or universities?

Are these people turning up to watch under 18s or under 21’s fixtures? – the premier league stars of the future, if you like.

Do you support the team that you went to college at or the nearest college to you or is this usually the same thing?

Why do more people watch this than professional football?

I don’t understand.

They are the same as our uni's. 4 year institutions.

The large state uni's have around 50,000 under-grads on campus.

Sport is a huge part of campus life and is very tribal. Games are played in a regional conference style.

Its very well liked as the players are playing for the game rather than money, although the good ones will go on to get drafted into pro sports.

You have to have a certain GPA level per term to be able to participate in the NCAA the following season, so it re-iterates the students are their to primarily learn rather than play sports.
  • Options
    If you count motorsport the Circuit de la Sarthe (Le Man 24) is 263,500
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Are the US college stadia subject to less strict safety rules than NFL ones? It seems odd that there are not more, larger pro-football stadia when most teams easily sell out most of the time?

No, I don't think so. College football is just huge here.

That said, the Rose Bowl and the LA Coliseum, where UCLA and USC play college football respectively, are both massive, but they're both kind of shit. You're far away. Both are kind of dingy.

I still regret not going to Ben Hill Griffin while living in Gainesville, FL. My ex used to live about a mile from it and you could hear it on game days.

4 for me, those two, Nou Camp, and Wembley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of the reasons the college games sell out every game is they play so few games in a season, less than a dozen home games mostly. If the NFL teams don't make the playoffs, they only have eight home games, so they most often sell out.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

One of the reasons the college games sell out every game is they play so few games in a season, less than a dozen home games mostly. If the NFL teams don't make the playoffs, they only have eight home games, so they most often sell out.

The college season is normally 12 games with extra games for Conference Championship games, end-of-season Bowl games, and the National Championship semi-finals and final. Most teams would probably only have five or six home games a year.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

The reason they have attendances over capacity is the capacity is only permanent seats that are paid for.
    The attendance also includes accredited press, team staff, marching bands, support staff plus any sitting in temporary structures.

Blimey - so the place in Michigan Napa was talking about either finds somewhere to build temporary structures, even though it already holds 107'000, or they have a 4000 piece marching band? :lol:

I guess they go to the Daisy/Roly school of attendances if they include all those people in the head count. :smiley:
  • Options
    Coincidentally, my old uni in Pennsylvania has a strange but unique link to the Michigan university in Napa’s post.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/sports/ncaafootball/slippery-rocks-tie-to-michigan-is-all-in-the-name.html?referer=https://www.google.co.uk/
  • Options
    It's notable that most of those massive US stadiums are completely open. The cost of a modern pillar free roof would be massive for those stands

I can't imagine they'd be very nice in the rain
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

Thought the macarena stadium in Rio would be there (unless I missed it)

Would of been a few years ago but the capacity has been greatly reduced....shame cause I have been there.
    Me too! Flamengo against Recife. 50k there but seemed empty. Rocking atmosphere though m
    Me too - Cup final Flamengo v Fluminese. Mental atmosphere and some interesting "characters" there!