Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***UPBEATS DAY - TODAY***(Walkers - additional info on Page 4)

Comments

• See you Saturday - just sent a donation
  • edited April 2018
    Did some training today - 4 mile walk to the pub, couple of pints, 4 mile walk back home.
    Not too worried about the walking, because TCE always looks good to carry me a mile or two ( :wink: ) but bit concerned about the stamina in the pub. :neutral:
    Only two pints, at this late stage in training, is looking positively lightweight...

( really looking forward to Sat :+1: )
  • 3blokes said:

Did some training today - 4 mile walk to the pub, couple of pints, 4 mile walk back home.
    Not too worried about the walking, because TCE always looks good to carry me a mile or two ( :wink: ) but bit concerned about the stamina in the pub. :neutral:
    Only two pints, at this late stage in training, is looking positively lightweight...

Gave Bailey a final fitness test today and the big fella coped admirably with about 15 miles so he should he not show any adverse effects tomorrow he's good to go on saturday. Me? I'm hanging............ :(
  • T_C_E said:

3blokes said:

Gave Bailey a final fitness test today and the big fella coped admirably with about 15 miles so he should he not show any adverse effects tomorrow he's good to go on saturday. Me? I'm hanging............ :(
    Hugely swollen ankle this morning, was going to pop into SL for some treatment it mean missing next years walk as well if I did. *Joking boys*
    I don't care what the dress code is, its big boots for me saturday.
  • Unfortunately, due to other commitments, I can’t make it this year, enjoy all
  • Plenty of training for me this week. Have been in Paris and must have done at least the course distance every day.
  • Plenty of training for me this week. Have been in Paris and must have done at least the course distance every day.

Poor Paris must be sore :wink:
  • Just a reminder that the 2percent have written and recorded a song especially for the Charlton Upbeats. Titled "The Upbeat Kids" it is available for download here: https://the2percent.bandcamp.com

All proceeds will go to the lads.

• Sponsored links:

• I bought that, now I can't find the bloody thing....... ;)

• T_C_E said:

I bought that, now I can't find the bloody thing....... ;)

This should be in the "you know when you are getting old thread".
  • many thanks to The Roland Apologists :-), @kimbo @LoOkOuT @big in brasov @foresthillred Chris McGinn and Roy Puttock for your kind support.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/charltonlife-upbeats2018
  • I had to go and look as I thought you were calling the posters listed apologists!

Nice one.
  • Just signed up. Looking forward to meeting other Lifers
  • Curb_It said:

I had to go and look as I thought you were calling the posters listed apologists!

Nice one.

Me too until I saw the list of posters, a founder Mod and two founder members of ROT.
  • I'm going to have to pull out unfortunately, my daughter's been taken ill and need to get down at the weekend to look after the grandchildren.
  • Bit of advice - I know I'm late coming to this. I'm happy to piggyback off the CL Justgiving page, but would I raise more if I set one up myself for work colleagues etc?
  • rananegra said:

Bit of advice - I know I'm late coming to this. I'm happy to piggyback off the CL Justgiving page, but would I raise more if I set one up myself for work colleagues etc?

Well done mate, Whatever works best for you Chief, it all goes to the same cause.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm going to have to pull out unfortunately, my daughter's been taken ill and need to get down at the weekend to look after the grandchildren.

Hope your daughter gets well soon.
  • Donated.... Great cause. Best of luck to all involved this weekend.
  • Many thanks to @DaveStorry @addickson @QatarNapsy Barbara Gates and Chris McGinn for your sponsorship, very much appreciated.

• WALKERS....

Hopefully the below information will be of help to you.

ARRIVAL / MEETING POINT

It is important to note that the arrival / meeting / leaving point is different this year. It’s NOT from the Sparrows Lane entrance. The walk is leaving from the new community entrance via Foots Cray Rugby Club. This is accessed via the main Foots Cray Rd on the road between New Eltham and Eltham. If you arrive by train to New Eltham station, walk past the shops and Beehive pub and the entrance is a couple of hundred yards further on the right.

PARKING
    Parking is available in the Footscray Rugby Club car park, or plenty of street parking nearby. For SatNav the club’s postcode is SE9 2EL. The rugby club car park will be open all day.

TIME
    Registration starts from 8am (Tee-shirts dished out and fairly sure refreshments will be provided as per usual). The walk will be split into two groups. Those that feel they’ll benefit from a bit more time will be leaving first, approx. 8.40am. The 2nd group will follow shortly after. Both groups will be on their way by 9am.

HALFWAY STOP
    This year this will be around the entrance to Greenwich Park. The Trust have a load of 20ps for people to use the toilets in the park car park.

ROUTE
    Link to the route is HERE. The walk is a new route especially the second part which takes in the river Thames as much as possible. There is a lot of construction going on from the Cutty Sark down to Blackwall lane which means the riverside can’t be accessed in those areas, however after the section through Blackwall Lane the walk provides great views over the last few miles as we stick to the river path around the O2 dome and all the way down to Anchor and Hope lane.

SUPPORT
    Support vehicles will be in place to support walkers who find the 10 miles tough going and walkers can be nudged further up the course or to the finish line to ensure they are fully included in the event.

FINISH
    The finish line is in Crossbars where all walkers will be greeted on arrival. Unfortunately dogs are not be able to enter the lounge but Upbeats and CACT officials will be outside the North Stand to ensure they too are thanked and clapped in.

AFTER
    All walkers will be fed from 12.30pm in Crossbars with the 10 year anniversary DVD also being played in the lounge. All walkers will be given a free raffle ticket, with 2 lucky winners receiving an Upbeats signed shirt. The Upbeats will take to the pitch at 1.30pm and all walkers will be encouraged to support and cheer the team on either from the stands or lounge.

They will also be taking part in their traditional half time pitch parade :-)

Still not to late for anyone to join us...... 

Out of interest is there any vegetarian food available in Crossbars?
  • I expect so @kimbo if not I’ll buy you a bag of dry roasted nuts

Many thanks to @Shag @cherryorchard and Steve Stacey for your contributions. Much appreciated

• edited April 2018
    Those with kids...

One of my boys (he’s 7) is begging to do the walk with me. My gut feeling is it’s too much but he’s distraught about it.

Has anyone walked it (or similar distances) with kids this age before? Thoughts?
  • Looking forward to it, my first time on the walk.