Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heartbreaking

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

i know its really easy to just blame the government, but for example the other week there was program on overweight and on benefits, there was a women who weighed something like 39 stone, her her husband and son sat around the house all day eating and drinking shit all paid for by benefits can someone explain how that's theresa may or how that is any part of tory ideololgy?, i pointed out a few other factors which do add to the reasons of poverty in this country.

That example is nothing to do with foreign aid or immigration either.
    It is to do with cheating the system and generally being a lazy slob
    Cheating the system?
    Like large scale tax evasion by huge corporations, you mean?

yep that aswell, as @Henry Irving sumarised perfectly above what i gave were "some" examples of what adds to the issues not a comprehensive list of every single item that leads to families living in awful conditions in this country.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Curb_It said:

I feel like that when I walk round Woolwich. I wonder how some of the people survive, in what is becoming a very expensive area to live. I find myself worrying more and more about it as I get older and am thankful for what I have, which isn't a lot, but enough.

I received my yearly tax statement this week. On the back page it lists exactly what my tax went on down to the pound. Overseas aid was second to bottom I think. I need to check it again.

It's an interesting read - is that a new thing as I've never noticed it before?

I often think the same. I don't see the solutions being banded around by left or right wing ideologues actually working and it feels like the problem is just getting worse.
    That's because the solutions are very complicated, very expensive and very time consuming (and take a generation or two for the effects to be seen). The money would have to come from somewhere, and would be a tough sell for the government, particularly one that likes to blame people rather than help them.

aside from providing affordable social housing, there would need to be some incentive to provide jobs, for a workforce that is unskilled, possibly poorly motivated ad educated, and try to bring about cultural change to cause a long term beak in the poverty cycle. This will involve joined up efforts amongst government sectors, employers, and the charity sector. It can be done I reckon.
    We used to have a system that supported people, so the bloke struggling with four kids would have got financial advice, cooking lessons, home hygiene advice etc etc.

It costs money but it actually saved us money, governments who don't get that are imbeciles.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Whilst immigration may be good in some respects, it does cause many problems as well. Our population has grown massively in the last 20 years and this must cause pressure on housing, schools, healthcare and roads. All those extra people have to live somewhere.

http://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/the-impact-of-migration-on-uk-population-growth/

Hope the above link works
  • Options

Whilst immigration may be good in some respects, it does cause many problems as well. Our population has grown massively in the last 20 years and this must cause pressure on housing, schools, healthcare and roads. All those extra people have to live somewhere.

http://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/the-impact-of-migration-on-uk-population-growth/

Hope the above link works

Of course, and that includes migration from other parts of the country - Chelmsford is now getting full of pesky Londoners who can't afford to live in London. Unless infrastructure is increased to cope with increased demand, there is going to be problems.
  • Options

i pointed out a few other factors which do add to the reasons of poverty in this country.

And that's the point. They may "add" to the poverty by making it worse but the poverty will still be there.

Cutting foreign aid and banning immigration won't be magic wands. The reasons behind the poverty, as Leroy listed above, are far more complex and deep rooted and so need long term solutions like more social housing, better transport, better schools, industry and jobs, better health care, price controls on essential items like gas and electric, properly managed benefits.

It will take more than the little extra money saved from foreign aid to achieve all that. It needs a long term plan and the political will to implement it but neither party has offered that while the both the mainstream and fringe parties just offer sound bites like "£350m a week for the NHS" "No magic money tree", etc etc or try to blame "them" for all the problems.

masicat said:

masicat said:

This is why I get so frustrated at the amount of aid that goes overseas 0.7% ( not saying it’s not worthy ) but get our own house in order, also the amount of benefit scroungers contributes massively to why we see this sort of thing becoming a constant, will probably get flagged for this but isn't that amount of immigration also a factor?.

Dear oh Dear.
    whats up too much almond milk on your corn flakes?
    As you came to price my wardrobes but were too busy to get back to me with a proper price in a reasonable time due to ‘workload’, I wonder. 1. Did I strike you as a snowflake ? and 2. Maybe less time on here and more attending to work issues would be a good move?
    Wardrobes? never met you before in my life.
    You wanna bet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018
    masicat said:

i pointed out a few other factors which do add to the reasons of poverty in this country.

And that's the point. They may "add" to the poverty by making it worse but the poverty will still be there.

Cutting foreign aid and banning immigration won't be magic wands. The reasons behind the poverty, as Leroy listed above, are far more complex and deep rooted and so need long term solutions like more social housing, better transport, better schools, industry and jobs, better health care, price controls on essential items like gas and electric, properly managed benefits.

It will take more than the little extra money saved from foreign aid to achieve all that. It needs a long term plan and the political will to implement it but neither party has offered that while the both the mainstream and fringe parties just offer sound bites like "£350m a week for the NHS" "No magic money tree", etc etc or try to blame "them" for all the problems.

masicat said:

masicat said:

This is why I get so frustrated at the amount of aid that goes overseas 0.7% ( not saying it’s not worthy ) but get our own house in order, also the amount of benefit scroungers contributes massively to why we see this sort of thing becoming a constant, will probably get flagged for this but isn't that amount of immigration also a factor?.

Dear oh Dear.
    As you came to price my wardrobes but were too busy to get back to me with a proper price in a reasonable time due to ‘workload’, I wonder. 1. Did I strike you as a snowflake ? and 2. Maybe less time on here and more attending to work issues would be a good move?
    You wanna bet.
    getting a bit weird now

am not a carpenter so have no idea who you are

edit; do remember you asked for some recommendations on where to get fitted wardrobes, i asked where are you based, you replied keston.

and that was the end of the conversation if you can call it that.

hardly the fly by night tradesman as you was portraying earlier and that i should attend to work issues?.

if you could clear that up that would be great.
  • Options
    Very weird
  • Options
    This is panning out to be the weirdest exchange in the history of CL
  • Options
    November 2016 in Members Only

masicat; This is a real long shot. Anybody know of someone who makes and fits quality furniture like wardrobes and media units etc. I know a lot of carpenters, but I need someone who designs , makes and fits top end or close. After months of searching I am starting to think I might need to forget it and buy free standing stuff. Anyway, someone who turns up on time and then provides an estimate quickly would be a start. Thanks.

palarsehater said:
    @masicat where are you based?.

masicat; Keston

none of this strange fantasy coming out to give estimates and making up lies about workload.

but hey whatever floats your boat
  • Options

masicat said:

masicat said:

masicat said:

Dear oh Dear.
    You wanna bet.
    getting a bit weird now

am not a carpenter so have no idea who you are

edit; do remember you asked for some recommendations on where to get fitted wardrobes, i asked where are you based, you replied keston.

and that was the end of the conversation if you can call it that.

hardly the fly by night tradesman as you was portraying earlier and that i should attend to work issues?.

if you could clear that up that would be great.
    Any chance you could quote me for some new kitchen units? I'm in Bexley.
    haha and after all this i am not a carpenter but had had some v basic units fitted around the time he/she was asking.
  • Options
    Oh
  • Options
    Forum gold! :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat said:

Time for me to take a break.

No don't do that.
    It was just getting interesting
  • Options

If we're going to call out Palarsehater on his opinions like immigration being a factor, (which even if not the main reason, it's certainly a factor (however small) and will certainly be the perceived case to those in Rochdale etc., going about their day to day struggles).

But, if we are calling that out, lets also call out the "It's all the Tories fault", as my wife is a long-standing social worker, dealing with theses issues every single day and her and her colleagues have worked through both governments for years and the impact on the most vulnerable in our society and the scale of the problem is the same, no matter who is running the Country!!

Maybe fair points, but the scummy Tories are in power and have been for a few years now, and its not got any better, so they could have done something but the rich have just got richer.
  • Options
    But....but....Masicat never wrong?
  • Options
    I have almond milk on my granola.
  • Options
    My Mrs buys almond milk because she thinks it makes her look sophisticated at the checkout
  • Options
    My office milkman delivers mine so no one spots it.