Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heartbreaking

124»

Comments

• Options

You get a feed forward star mate. X

Don't need a star mate. Just hope it comes in useful in the future. Let us know how it goes.
    Primary/ Secondary?
    If you’re genuinely interested then no prob sending links to research and project. 5 terms in and snowballing. We are culture change rather than REACH approach. Helen Lowey rather than Warren Larkin though to me both are necessary but public sector setting determines which approach. In my view REACH fine NHS, culture change suits schools though both trialled in our LA. REACH at primary/ EMBRACE us at secondary.
    I’m BwD but Academy in small MAT.. You?
    I don't work in education. I work in substance misuse. We're the poorer end of a very poor sector. Like social services we are expected to carry high caseloads with unmanageable levels of risk and are constantly in fear of client death despite our efforts and expecting to be hung out to dry when that happens.

We have always known our client group have higher levels of ACEs than the general population. The last service I managed were expected to carry out parenting needs assessments for all clients who had children under 18. If you have a caseload of 60, of whom 45 are prescribed methadone or equivalent with all of the clinical management that demands for a client group of whom 30% may be unable to get it together enough to attend scheduled appointmetns but who will turn up at 4:50 on Friday afternoon with children in tow despite being told children aren't allowed in the project because we have other clients who are considered a risk to children and anyway it's not a good place to bring children so we then need to contact social services to update them regarding that risk in addition to carrying out competent and comprehensive safeguarding assessment with the attendance at CP conference and core group and are then assessed on ability to provide "excellence" - and then we want to have meaningful engagement around the "recovery" we are expected to motivate and which our core purpose. To then be considered to not give a shit when it takes at least awhole evening to slow down from work and then to spend all Sunday trying to stay relaxed in the face of having to go back in on Monday morning...that's why I get pissed off. When I have a series of supervisions with team members who tell me they are on the verge of going sick from stress and I know that that would mean more work for the rest of the team who may then go sick as a consequence I get very depressed.

I'm all over ACES but I am trying to get the local implementation team to take our concerns for the safety of our practice when more and more is placed on my team - There is no more capacity, and I'm sorry if that makes it look as though we don't give a fuck, but I cannot face asking my team to do more than they are already doing.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    But really, let us know how it goes. I can't read research documents. If I started reading research in the few hours I had off I seriously think I would end up jumping off a tall building. However I am always interested in anything that will help so you are obviously all over this - a few updates would be interesting.
  • Options
    Makes sense. Thresholds for intervention for our kids now so high that we are the only safe place for them in some cases. Struggling to keep tabs on our most vulnerable during hols. Expect the suicidal to be kept in hospital longer than usual as no schools open but always a worry when we’re off. We’ve been proactive this year but two dead locally. I do think that our programmes have made a difference. As for Baby P syndrome its real all over.
    We are getting results. Link up between neighbourhood offices and primaries. Secondaries then starting early interventions after primaries identify pre transition. More and
    More coming on board. Our aim is to break the cycle so in our areas there are less reaching your equivalent service. It does work and to be honest I’ve never done anything as worthwhile.
    We need to make awareness universal and then we’ll start with the trauma informed practice and capacity building.
    LA/ CCG’s/ emergency services/ schools / gp’s and housing associations all on board for Penine Lancs. Lancs police writing implementation strategy over next 3 months.
    Keep on keepin on.