Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Northampton 0 CAFC 4 (POST MATCH THREAD) 30/03/2018

Comments

• Options

A slight slight negative to balance things.

Not a moan about any individual at all but I think we looked a bit exposed down our right side on a couple of occasions yesterday.

Not awful or even a moan BUT against a better side we could be in a bit more danger than we was yesterday.

Hoping a minimal tactical change would eliminate that against a decent side.

I wasn’t there but did we start with that diamond like we did against Plymouth? If so I also felt we were slightly exposed down the right against Plymouth, but I think Bowyer wanted it that way. I remember a number of times Reeves being very narrow and having to do a lot of chasing down, but overall it worked and Dijksteel was young fit and strong enough to cope. Again I wasn’t there so perhaps we lined up differently. In terms of our right side, I do think Solly might start to see less game time now if this diamond is Bowyer’s preferred approach. There’s no way in the world he would be able to cope with that level of exposure over 90 mins
  • Options
    How the fu k ant that a pen I do not no and a sending off maybe.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    That, and the way Fosu rode that tackle for his first goal, do you think Bowyer has also told them not to go over too easily?

Better to try to score than to try to win the free kick/pen which invariably comes to nothing.

• Options
    edited March 2018
  • Options
    PWR
    I'm sure it's already been said loads of times. But if we do get new owners before the season end? They MUST leave Bowyer in charge at least until then.
  • Options

@Ducktapeshoerepairs
    What Large says and...
    Your absence on monday will make not a jot of difference to the impending sale of the club.
    Your presence will make the atmosphere even better for the rest of us and the team.

Go and enjoy yourself.

After 2 fantastic results and a deserved feel good factor, I see why people want to go back. However, it’s a matter of principle and was not about performance on the pitch.

Or cutting off your nose to spite your face? :-)
  • Options

That, and the way Fosu rode that tackle for his first goal, do you think Bowyer has also told them not to go over too easily?

Better to try to score than to try to win the free kick/pen which invariably comes to nothing.

I bet Ajose is desperate for us to get a penalty! Knowing our luck we'll get one after he's been subbed...
  • Options
    Happy for Magennis to be given the goal as he deserves it, but fairly sure he bundled the defender into the ball and it was an own goal. Certainly looked that way from my angle
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ben18 said:

Happy for Magennis to be given the goal as he deserves it, but fairly sure he bundled the defender into the ball and it was an own goal. Certainly looked that way from my angle

I put that on twitter this morning, real time i thought OG but haven't watched any goals back/
  • Options
    it was an own goal
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Just watched it again frame by frame - looks like Mags goal to me but could really do with a Go Pro angle from behind the goal to be sure.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Not a moan about any individual at all but I think we looked a bit exposed down our right side on a couple of occasions yesterday.

Not awful or even a moan BUT against a better side we could be in a bit more danger than we was yesterday.

I wasn’t there but did we start with that diamond like we did against Plymouth? If so I also felt we were slightly exposed down the right against Plymouth, but I think Bowyer wanted it that way. I remember a number of times Reeves being very narrow and having to do a lot of chasing down, but overall it worked and Dijksteel was young fit and strong enough to cope. Again I wasn’t there so perhaps we lined up differently. In terms of our right side, I do think Solly might start to see less game time now if this diamond is Bowyer’s preferred approach. There’s no way in the world he would be able to cope with that level of exposure over 90 mins
    The obvious defensive change to cope with a team that will target our right is to bring in Marshall as an orthodox right winger in place of Aribo or Reeves

But then the way we're playing, other teams will be concerned about dealing with our attacking threat
  • Options

Different formations work, even one up front - but when they aren't working you need to change - whether that be in the same game or future games. In some ways I think our upsurge is more about Bowyer having the ablity to look at what isn't working and change it. We are getting the ball forwards more quickly and players are supporting each other. We were too risk averse under Robbo which meant we did too much playing in front of opponents without looking for the killer balls or runs!

But your one striker has to be better than Josh
  • Options
    edited March 2018

I’d imagine he would ask Fosu to do him a job defensively against a better side, which should help out Djiksteel.

Fosu drops 5-10 yards deeper and allows Reeves to push out wider.
  • Options
    Josh is a very good player - He is strong and useful on the ball but he was being isolated by opponents and this knocked his confidence. There isn't one side in the League - even the top teams that wouldn't take him. Robbo might say, he didn't have any other options but we have seen that in recent weeks at least he did.
  • Options

Josh is a very good player - He is strong and useful on the ball but he was being isolated by opponents and this knocked his confidence. There isn't one side in the League - even the top teams that wouldn't take him. Robbo might say, he didn't have any other options but we have seen that in recent weeks at least he did.

he's a half decent workhorse / trier at best - should be used as a bit part at most til end of season
  • Options
    He is Championship level for me.
  • Options

fair enough - all about opinions - not for me although i see he has a role as nuisance value if wanting to play one up top away from home when shutting up shop late on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What I think is most crazy is what our best eleven is now compared to the start of the season. Back then it would have been something like

Amos
    Solly Bauer Pearce JDS
    JFC Kashi
    Holmes Clarke Fosu
    Magennis

To now having 6 changes in personnel and in formation

Amos
    Djiksteel Bauer Pearce Page
    JFC Aribo Reeves
    Fosu
    Zyro Ajose

Over half the team has changed (whether that be because of injury’s and transfers) but I think both have the ability to get out of this league with the right management, and that truly reflects how tactically inept Robinson was/is.
  • Options

Eldest first away game - Arsenal win 4-2
    Youngest first away game - Northampton win 4-0

Have some more kids.
    And get you to babysit Canters!! :wink:
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Didn't do iFollow this week as I was enjoying Friday 'brunch' in the Crowne Plaza, Yas Island, Abu Dhabi. All you can eat and drink, midday til 8pm, for 75 quid.

Gutted I missed it, but boy has that result helped with the hangover this morning.

Sounds like 'gutted' is the appropriate description! Not too many sheeps' eyes I hope!
    No sheeps eyes 05! I just stuck to camels toes!

Fun over, back in Riyadh now!!
  • Options
    If the new Owners do not give LEE BOWYER a fair chance to show his Superb potential Talent as a manager, then it could well be their first and last huge mistake !!
  • Options
    ROBINSON ?
    WHO THE F--K is HE ?
  • Options

Can't agree on what we have seen so far from Josh.
    Close control and positions taken in the box are not championship quality. I agree not helped by Robbo' tactics. He will be helped by Bowyer playing him in a 2 up front but should he get the shirt back from Zyro or Ajose ? They play as twin strikers, can big Josh; the Jury out.
  • Options

Post without reading the comments, at the game.

What a performance, could have easily been 10. So many positives, looks like we have our Mojo back and players are playing with alot of confidence.

The team does have a good shape to it, but.... I still think we could be a bit suspect when we play a better team. Northampton were a load of tosh, they tried to kick us to stop us playing but didnt work, had no ounce of quality. Either they had a seriously off day and couldn't handle us or they are in trouble, hard to see them staying up on that evidence. What does concern me is we do look a bit exposed to the diagonal, alot of our play was on the left and Djiksteel on the right would have been more exposed more against a better team.

So many match winners in the side at the moment, even better the strength on the bench. Would have nice to see Ajose get a goal as he did seem to pass a couple of times where could have shot, Aribo is class but again he could have had about 6+ shots today but either because it wasn't on his left or he didn't fancy it. Reeves, i did say previously give him a chance, shows alot of quality and playing in a system which he can get involved.

Summary: Going forward, any team would struggle with us playing with this confidence, although i dont want to get too excited(ooooerrr) and still think we could be suspect to conceding a few goals to better teams.

Back in the race another 3 points Monday and eieieio....

this I have to say is the only thing that to me looks to be a problem. I noticed the same in the Plymouth match. especially in the first half. their full back had acers of space in front of Djiksteel. though Djiksteel dealt with most of it it was an issue if their full back was helped by another player making it 2 on 1. fortunately it wasn't exploited too much. another side with a decent winger might cause serious problems on that side.
    We're in L1 and most of the teams we've got left to play are no better than us. Djiksteel may have his defensive limitations but we now have goals in our side and I can't see this being a major issue. He will only get better and cut out some of his careless decision making.

We should try and concentrate on what we have and not what we don't have. I'm just happy we're in with a shout of the playoffs.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

it was an own goal

Yep was an own goal was directly behind it
  • Options
    Good to get into the opposition's minds too.

I listened in on radio Northampton and could clearly hear a 'We want Roland out' chant. The female summariser reported that Charlton were chanting 'We are going up'. Freudian eh? Meanwhile in a very downbeat post match interview JFH said there were players crying in the dressing room. He still insisted that he was the man for the job, but I don't think he was convincing anyone, himself included.

(JFH interview starts at 11.00 minutes).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06077fp#play
  • Options
    Four fooking nil away from home, get in ! Good times on the way we hope, Monday will give us a better idea of where we're at ,but get Bowyer signed up quickly, plenty of clubs will be watching.