Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Northampton 0 CAFC 4 (POST MATCH THREAD) 30/03/2018

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018
    This is a question from the soapbox that I have never heard before ?

If the ball had not ended up in the net from that cross. If two defenders are fouling a striker in a goal scoring position at the same time, should they both be sent off ?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

cabbles said:

A slight slight negative to balance things.

Not a moan about any individual at all but I think we looked a bit exposed down our right side on a couple of occasions yesterday.

Not awful or even a moan BUT against a better side we could be in a bit more danger than we was yesterday.

Hoping a minimal tactical change would eliminate that against a decent side.

I wasn’t there but did we start with that diamond like we did against Plymouth? If so I also felt we were slightly exposed down the right against Plymouth, but I think Bowyer wanted it that way. I remember a number of times Reeves being very narrow and having to do a lot of chasing down, but overall it worked and Dijksteel was young fit and strong enough to cope. Again I wasn’t there so perhaps we lined up differently. In terms of our right side, I do think Solly might start to see less game time now if this diamond is Bowyer’s preferred approach. There’s no way in the world he would be able to cope with that level of exposure over 90 mins
    The obvious defensive change to cope with a team that will target our right is to bring in Marshall as an orthodox right winger in place of Aribo or Reeves
    In the Argyle match last week, Bowyer did just that.

Late in the 2nd half they had started to exploit the space and pressure Dijksteel.
    Bowyer subbed Ajose and brought on Marshall.

Post match, Bowyer said he'd seen the situation developing and reacted straightaway by bringing on Marshall to close down the space.

• Options
    Very good, glad I decided to go. Only bad part of the day was trying to get out of that swamp they call a car park.

Only two that had a quiet game was Amos and Zyro, Amos for obvious reasons and Zyro just because most of the play came down the left, other than that top marks all around. Reeves my persona MotM, his work rate was good, his passing was mostly good, got a goal, set one up and closed people down well again, amazing what decent man management can do to a player, if we had that Reeves from the start of the season he starts every game imo. Fosu two well taken goals and just simply a menace throughout, Caskey had a good game again, didn't notice him much but that's a good thing I would say, didn't have to make the challenges cause his positioning was good throughout and was spraying the ball well. Ajose again like Reeves is completely rejuvenated, you would not believe for a second he was a want away and we had loaned him out twice to simply get rid. His work rate was fantastic and made some very clever runs, hope he gets his goal soon as he deserves it, was also nice to see his disappointment at being subbed off, that's how every player should be. On to his replacement Mavididi, wow what a player. Scary pace and along with Fosu no doubt our best forward player. Would love him to be our player but that's probably wishful thinking. Defense solid again, seriously impressed by Page, I don't think he's exactly outstanding but he is very 'jack of all trades master of none' in his position, not too quick not too slow if you get my drift. Also the fact he was out of the game for a year? Won't be too upset if he replaces JDS as we need to prepare for life without the little man anyway. Basically just all round pats on the backs for every player, as I said last week very very hard to believe this is the same group of players from the Blackpool and Fleetwood game, well done Bowyer and Jacko.

Final note is Aribo, what a tidy player but I would love to see him have a shot now and then, there was at least 3 opportunities where he could have put his laces through it and he opted for a cheeky pass or dribble. Don't get me wrong I don't get as worked up as people around me when he doesn't shoot but those shots can lead to corners, deflections etc, no harm in trying especially when we are 2 goals to the good anyway.

On we go, I fully believe we are the favourites for the 5th slot in play offs
  • Options

Fantastic tackle from Pearce a few moments before the first goal

Yes great spot it was a really good tackle that kept the move going.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

ross1 said:

Bowyer on a perfect away performance

The Addicks led 2-0 at half-time thanks to goals from Ben Reeves and Tariqe Fosu and after the break the latter bagged his second before Josh Magennis completed the thrashing.

Charlton could have scored more - and it would not have flattered them - and afterwards caretaker boss Bowyer was full of praise for his side, who have now secured back-to-back victories in Sky Bet League One.

He said: "To come away from home - against a team that are fighting for their lives - and to come away with a clean sheet and four goals is brilliant.

"It could have been a lot more than four. The lads took everything on board again, moved the ball well, defended as a team and worked hard as a team, which is what we demand of them.

"In possession, we were outstanding as well. We created so many chances and I don't think our own goalkeeper made a save. It was perfect."

Speaking to Sky Sports after the game, Bowyer was asked about Fosu, who bagged his eighth and ninth goals of the campaign during the rout.

"The kid is unplayable and I just gave him a free role," Bowyer said. "Out of possession, he didn't really need to do anything because they started with three at the back; their spare man was a third centre half and he wasn't going to hurt us.

"I said to him that he didn't need to do anything defensively and asked him to try and get himself into areas where we could find him once we won the ball.

"I wanted him to go out there do what he does. He just glides past people, he's so strong for a small player and, as for his finishing, you saw the quality of that today."

The victory made it two wins from two for the caretaker boss, whose team sit two points off the play-off places.

"That's down to the lads," Bowyer said. "We set them out to play a certain way but to keep clean sheets you need to work as a team.

"In our last two performances, we have done that. We have hunted down in packs and then you get rewarded for that.

"If you work hard, everything else will fall into place, especially with the attacking ability we have got. I'm over the moon for the lads and I'm very proud of them too."

The Addicks now move on to Monday's clash against Rotherham United. Charlton won 2-0 at the New York Stadium earlier in the season and another win could edge them closer to the top six.

He said: "We have got eight games to go. We have to have the same attitude and we won't let that drop.

"We have got people on the bench who are quality players as well. If anyone thinks that they can just stroll around, which they haven't done, then they know there is someone else to take their place.

"We're exciting to watch at the moment because the lads are on it, they're hungry and they know what the reward is at the end of it. A potential place at Wembley and promotion."

Supporters can watch Bowyer's post-match interview in full on Valley Pass

I didn’t go but really enjoying reading the thread so far and pleased for the travelling fans

The bit I’ve highlighted in bold is the difference between Bowyer and KR for me. He looks like he does his homework and will adapt accordingly. Seems in these 2 games to show more versatility than KR did in his whole time. Another example, not playing Magennis from the start. A couple of things about it that were good. A) the guy has been needing a break for a while and b) he saw how well the team played last week and didn’t feel it was necessary to change it even if Magennis is first choice above Zyro. KR I’m sure would’ve thrown him straight back in and the stale 4-2-3-1 would’ve been back

I appreciate that a new owner may want to bring his own man in, but it would be madness to not have Bowyer take charge until the end of the season

Everyone is buzzing
    I definitely agree Bowyer seems to do his scouting and implement it far better. I think in fairness to Robinson Fosu has often been utilized in a free role where he doesn't have much defending to do. The difference is what is happening in front of and behind him. When he gets the ball now he has two players ahead of him making diverting runs that draw defenders off of him. And behind him, he has two, usually Aribo and Reeves, with the freedom to try to catch him up and provide support for him. It must be a very scary sight for defenders.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Sorry to be an absolute ****, but no tackle was made by Pearce in that gif, as the opponent never had the ball.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Sorry to be an absolute ****, but no tackle was made by Pearce in that gif, as the opponent never had the ball.
    Correct.
    Great interception
  • Options
    Pearce’s tackle in the build up to the first.

Reeves’ run from deep to head in the first.

Fosu riding that tackle for the second.

Magennis muscling his way through two fouls to score the fourth.

#Desire
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Correct.
    Great interception
    Thoroughly chastened.
  • Options

He is Championship level for me.

Hmmm. Not quite, for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thoroughly, thoroughly impressed by Bowyer. His tactical reading of the game, the way he sets the side up with the opposition in mind but still wants the players to feel free to express themselves, to his general demeanour. For me, KR was a step up from Slade, but so far, and it's early days, LB looks like a giant leap forward in the management stakes. Maybe he's a natural?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Thoroughly, thoroughly impressed by Bowyer. His tactical reading of the game, the way he sets the side up with the opposition in mind but still wants the players to feel free to express themselves, to his general demeanour. For me, KR was a step up from Slade, but so far, and it's early days, LB looks like a giant leap forward in the management stakes. Maybe he's a natural?

As I posted on another thread when Bowyer was appointed Curbs always spoke highly of Bowyer's football brain.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

He's played with some of the best and been managed by some of the best which helps James.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Josh is a very good player - He is strong and useful on the ball but he was being isolated by opponents and this knocked his confidence. There isn't one side in the League - even the top teams that wouldn't take him. Robbo might say, he didn't have any other options but we have seen that in recent weeks at least he did.

I think the run in will be telling, especially if we keep playing the way we are. On his day I agree with you, I think he's a Championship player. The problem is he seems to be a very streaky player, especially as a goalscorer. Last year as he was hitting form he got injured then came back too soon. This year he started well but just looked knackered for months, not to mention isolated in a team that isn't moving off the ball leaving him up against two or three defenders every week.

As for Robinson not having other options, there were a lot of silly comments including Zyro being a winger and getting his tactics right. But in fairness, I don't know that Zyro and Ajose have been 60-70 minutes fit for that long. Both still look a little short of fitness, though they both work incredibly hard.

I've been effusive in my praise for Bowyer and nothing takes away from that. In my opinion he's come in and done the hardest thing, not make wholesale changes but little tweaks, and he's getting players to take things on board which I suspect Robinson had lost the ability to do. But Bowyer has benefited from getting players back from injury/fit as well. Ajose, Zyro, Page, Mav, DaSilva to come. That's not to take anything away from what he's done, but when you look at the team that started against Blackpool, and yes they were shit, we definitely had a far, far stronger squad yesterday.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Josh is a very good player - He is strong and useful on the ball but he was being isolated by opponents and this knocked his confidence. There isn't one side in the League - even the top teams that wouldn't take him. Robbo might say, he didn't have any other options but we have seen that in recent weeks at least he did.

I think the run in will be telling, especially if we keep playing the way we are. On his day I agree with you, I think he's a Championship player. The problem is he seems to be a very streaky player, especially as a goalscorer. Last year as he was hitting form he got injured then came back too soon. This year he started well but just looked knackered for months, not to mention isolated in a team that isn't moving off the ball leaving him up against two or three defenders every week.

As for Robinson not having other options, there were a lot of silly comments including Zyro being a winger and getting his tactics right. But in fairness, I don't know that Zyro and Ajose have been 60-70 minutes fit for that long. Both still look a little short of fitness, though they both work incredibly hard.

I've been effusive in my praise for Bowyer and nothing takes away from that. In my opinion he's come in and done the hardest thing, not make wholesale changes but little tweaks, and he's getting players to take things on board which I suspect Robinson had lost the ability to do. But Bowyer has benefited from getting players back from injury/fit as well. Ajose, Zyro, Page, Mav, DaSilva to come. That's not to take anything away from what he's done, but when you look at the team that started against Blackpool, and yes they were shit, we definitely had a far, far stronger squad yesterday.
    Championship player my arse - on his day he is League One at best. Have you seen some of the forwards that are playing in the Championship ? He doesn't terrorise defenders that someone his size should, doesn't win many headers & not very good with his shooting boots. His only real quality is his crossing. I'm not dissing him but just saying that he'd be lucky to score more than a handful of goals in the Championship.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    we must give Lee a chance, any new owners would be mad not too.

Only have to look at our neighbors down the road and their appointment of Harris and having faith in him .
    Hate them with a passion but hats off to Harris and Millwall , Harris like Bowyer so far let the team do the talking unlike Robinson’s me me me me !
    I looked over to Lee and Jacko after every goal yesterday and see no running down the touchline and countinuely fist pumping the air but what I felt was “good stuff we scored but let’s go again”.
  • Options

One defeat for Bowyer and it'll be Bowyer out, no Plan B, found out, etc etc.

Some fans do go over the top but what you've said is an exaggeration itself.
  • Options
    We all no Robinson was a prick end of.bowyer all day long for me said before on here 2 months to late.playoffs here we come.coyr.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

SDAddick said:

Championship player my arse - on his day he is League One at best. Have you seen some of the forwards that are playing in the Championship ? He doesn't terrorise defenders that someone his size should, doesn't win many headers & not very good with his shooting boots. His only real quality is his crossing. I'm not dissing him but just saying that he'd be lucky to score more than a handful of goals in the Championship.
    But he's a forward who is about more than goalscoring. On his day his movement, pace, and strength do cause defenses problems. He was excellent at home against Northampton earlier in the season. He dragged their defenders all over the place and created space for others to play. I don't think he would walk into the Wolves side obviously, but I think in the right team he can be very effective.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Please don't judge anyone in our squad on their performances under the fat scouse chancer.
  • Options

If the new owners do come in I think they have a difficult decision to make.

Whether to bring the sofa back?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

But he's a forward who is about more than goalscoring. On his day his movement, pace, and strength do cause defenses problems. He was excellent at home against Northampton earlier in the season. He dragged their defenders all over the place and created space for others to play. I don't think he would walk into the Wolves side obviously, but I think in the right team he can be very effective.
    Not for me it isn't. A forward is all about scoring goals. The other bits come into it later. Its a bit like saying that a goalkeeper's job is not just saving shots but distribution as well. Yes, it helps, but if a goalkeeper couldn't catch a ball or stop a shot then whether he can kick it straight to the winger 60 yards up the pitch doesn't matter.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Not for me it isn't. A forward is all about scoring goals. The other bits come into it later. Its a bit like saying that a goalkeeper's job is not just saving shots but distribution as well. Yes, it helps, but if a goalkeeper couldn't catch a ball or stop a shot then whether he can kick it straight to the winger 60 yards up the pitch doesn't matter.
    Tell that to our fans who regularly start off their players marks comments by criticising Amos for his distribution. Mind you he was partly at fault in that respect for the 0-1 defeat at Blackpool.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Bowyer talking of his days at Leeds:
    "We played a mad formation, three men in the middle, two strikers and Harry Kewell who could do what he wanted."

Starting to sound familiar?
    Lee Bowyer after yesterday's match might have said, "We played a mad formation, three men in the middle, two strikers and Tarique Fosu who could do what he wanted."

(Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3177982/Lee-Bowyer-left-football-run-carp-fishing-lake-France.html#ixzz5BMpUT4gJ )
  • Options

If the ball had not ended up in the net from that cross. If two defenders are fouling a striker in a goal scoring position at the same time, should they both be sent off ?
    Don't see why not.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    You can see why players would like him. Keeps it very simple. And fantastic having JJ as his number two.
    Early days but have we finally found the right management set up?

• Options
    Stig said:

Don't see why not.
    No, both would not be sent off.

The ref would have to decide which of the the players committed the first foul. If he was attempting to play the ball when they committed the foul i.e accidentally commits the foul it would be a yellow. If deliberate a red.
  • Options
    I suspect the first two names on the team sheet when Bowyer is writing it are Fosu and Reeves.