Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Northampton 0 CAFC 4 (POST MATCH THREAD) 30/03/2018

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018
    What Mutts just said. Doncaster away where we should have been out of sight was a classic example of the gulf in class between us and them. However the old sit back routine, lack of intent up top and killer instinct turned, what should have been three points into one with a late equaliser. :rage: .
  • Options
    Congrats to @happyvalley for the correct score prediction!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Congrats to @happyvalley for the correct score prediction!

Even a broken clock is right twice a day :wink: .
  • Options

Just to really hit home how dominant we were...away from home!

May have had the possession with KR tactics but without putting it to good stacking use!

From those stats the one I like the most was the fact we only committed six fouls

Guess that could have been the fact though that Northampton didnt really see much of the ball
  • Options

Just to really hit home how dominant we were...away from home!

May have had the possession with KR tactics but without putting it to good stacking use!

The most pleasing thing for me too.
    Beat them while they're down. Finish them!!
    Most upsetting thing about yesterday is that we didn't get 5
  • Options
    Another thing I remembered, little thing but when we scored the 2nd the defenders celebrated together in a huddle.

There's a real togetherness down there.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

There was a rather stocky chap who came out for the pre match warm up with JJ who I didn't immediately recognise, doing keepy uppies etc. He then was working with the goalkeeping team putting some decent crosses in and finally with the the CBs on heading by sending high long balls into them................,And then the penny dropped, it was Grant Basey who rejoined the backroom staff at the end of February. Not sure if this was his first match day involvement for him or whether the departure of KR has meant a like for like space in the dugout. Good to see you Grant :wink: .

You mean Gareth Barry ? I wonder if that makes the top 10 of Pardew's most crass comments
  • Options
    I must say, I thought the prodigious work rate of Reeves was a key part of our performance against Plymouth and equally important yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Aribo is simply blossoming, JFC is looking like the player we thought he was, We suddenly can have a striker with Magennis ability on the bench and we have a two unplayable players - not one but two! The squad will be needed, but everything is coming together at the eleventh hour. Better late than never!
  • Options

Post without reading the comments, at the game.

What a performance, could have easily been 10. So many positives, looks like we have our Mojo back and players are playing with alot of confidence.

The team does have a good shape to it, but.... I still think we could be a bit suspect when we play a better team. Northampton were a load of tosh, they tried to kick us to stop us playing but didnt work, had no ounce of quality. Either they had a seriously off day and couldn't handle us or they are in trouble, hard to see them staying up on that evidence. What does concern me is we do look a bit exposed to the diagonal, alot of our play was on the left and Djiksteel on the right would have been more exposed more against a better team.

So many match winners in the side at the moment, even better the strength on the bench. Would have nice to see Ajose get a goal as he did seem to pass a couple of times where could have shot, Aribo is class but again he could have had about 6+ shots today but either because it wasn't on his left or he didn't fancy it. Reeves, i did say previously give him a chance, shows alot of quality and playing in a system which he can get involved.

Summary: Going forward, any team would struggle with us playing with this confidence, although i dont want to get too excited(ooooerrr) and still think we could be suspect to conceding a few goals to better teams.

Back in the race another 3 points Monday and eieieio....

this I have to say is the only thing that to me looks to be a problem. I noticed the same in the Plymouth match. especially in the first half. their full back had acers of space in front of Djiksteel. though Djiksteel dealt with most of it it was an issue if their full back was helped by another player making it 2 on 1. fortunately it wasn't exploited too much. another side with a decent winger might cause serious problems on that side.
  • Options

What a performance, could have easily been 10. So many positives, looks like we have our Mojo back and players are playing with alot of confidence.

The team does have a good shape to it, but.... I still think we could be a bit suspect when we play a better team. Northampton were a load of tosh, they tried to kick us to stop us playing but didnt work, had no ounce of quality. Either they had a seriously off day and couldn't handle us or they are in trouble, hard to see them staying up on that evidence. What does concern me is we do look a bit exposed to the diagonal, alot of our play was on the left and Djiksteel on the right would have been more exposed more against a better team.

So many match winners in the side at the moment, even better the strength on the bench. Would have nice to see Ajose get a goal as he did seem to pass a couple of times where could have shot, Aribo is class but again he could have had about 6+ shots today but either because it wasn't on his left or he didn't fancy it. Reeves, i did say previously give him a chance, shows alot of quality and playing in a system which he can get involved.

Summary: Going forward, any team would struggle with us playing with this confidence, although i dont want to get too excited(ooooerrr) and still think we could be suspect to conceding a few goals to better teams.

this I have to say is the only thing that to me looks to be a problem. I noticed the same in the Plymouth match. especially in the first half. their full back had acers of space in front of Djiksteel. though Djiksteel dealt with most of it it was an issue if their full back was helped by another player making it 2 on 1. fortunately it wasn't exploited too much. another side with a decent winger might cause serious problems on that side.
    Fair points but against better opposition I think Bowyer would play a flat 442 and play two wingers which would cancel that out! Yes, he didn’t do this against the in form Plymouth, for whatever reason I do not know but it paid off!
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:

Fair points but against better opposition I think Bowyer would play a flat 442 and play two wingers which would cancel that out! Yes, he didn’t do this against the in form Plymouth, for whatever reason I do not know but it paid off!
    yeah a little tinker with the set up of the midfield would easily solve the problem but I guess it might harm our attacking threat. small decision which I'm sure Bowyer is capable of making during a game.
  • Options

May I make an impassioned plea to all boycotters to ,for the last few home games,forget RD,and help get us promoted,15000 plus crowds could well inspire the team to play even better than they are at the moment,and get us over the line.

Haha. You would have posted the same if we had lost the last two matches.

Not another penny to the club until Roland has gone.
  • Options
    Rubbed my eyes in disbelief when I saw the score, and again when I watched the highlights: that dummy, and that foreheader from the diminutive Reeves - unbridled joy.
    I'm off to buy tickets for Monday for the lad and me with a spring in my step rather than the usual resigned trudge.
    Regardless of how it all ends, these are heady days for now...
  • Options
    A slight slight negative to balance things.

Not a moan about any individual at all but I think we looked a bit exposed down our right side on a couple of occasions yesterday.

Not awful or even a moan BUT against a better side we could be in a bit more danger than we was yesterday.

Hoping a minimal tactical change would eliminate that against a decent side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Very true, although i do think Bauer is very good at covering that area too. Just looks wide open and the players need to be on their toes. Defo can see us getting exposed by better teams down that side, but hopefully we wont be so open against teams that could punish us.
  • Options
    Yes, when you go for a team you leave gaps, but they find it hard to capitalise because they are being sat on!
  • Options

Didn't do iFollow this week as I was enjoying Friday 'brunch' in the Crowne Plaza, Yas Island, Abu Dhabi. All you can eat and drink, midday til 8pm, for 75 quid.

Gutted I missed it, but boy has that result helped with the hangover this morning.

Sounds like 'gutted' is the appropriate description! Not too many sheeps' eyes I hope!
  • Options

cafc_se7 said:

yeah a little tinker with the set up of the midfield would easily solve the problem but I guess it might harm our attacking threat. small decision which I'm sure Bowyer is capable of making during a game.
    To be fair Bowyer even said last week that he went with the narrow shape to cancel out Plymouth’s style of play...that meant leaving the full backs exposed! Very impressive from Bowyer..as others have previously stated...chalk and cheese to Gobinson.
  • Options
    Different formations work, even one up front - but when they aren't working you need to change - whether that be in the same game or future games. In some ways I think our upsurge is more about Bowyer having the ablity to look at what isn't working and change it. We are getting the ball forwards more quickly and players are supporting each other. We were too risk averse under Robbo which meant we did too much playing in front of opponents without looking for the killer balls or runs!
  • Options

Aribo is simply blossoming, JFC is looking like the player we thought he was, We suddenly can have a striker with Magennis ability on the bench and we have a two unplayable players - not one but two! The squad will be needed, but everything is coming together at the eleventh hour. Better late than never!

I have often stated (to those who will listen) that the final 10 or so games of the season are the most vital and if you can hit the right form teams - like us at the moment - can come from being also-ran's on the edge to genuine contenders. I don't want to curse us but this could be happening now. Massive game on Monday, 3 more points (or at least a draw) and who knows?
  • Options

A slight slight negative to balance things.

Not a moan about any individual at all but I think we looked a bit exposed down our right side on a couple of occasions yesterday.

Not awful or even a moan BUT against a better side we could be in a bit more danger than we was yesterday.

Hoping a minimal tactical change would eliminate that against a decent side.

Posted without reading Johnnybev1987 post
    Agree though
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

What Mutts just said. Doncaster away where we should have been out of sight was a classic example of the gulf in class between us and them. However the old sit back routine, lack of intent up top and killer instinct turned, what should have been three points into one with a late equaliser. :rage: .

Thought exactly this yesterday.
  • Options

did anybody else turn into Lemmy?