Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Concerts You Ever Saw In Person? Worst?

Comments

• Options
    Undertones- Hammersmith Palais - 4 encores.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I've been very lucky to have been to many great concerts - not least IoW 1970. You would think seeing Hendrix and The Doors live would take some topping and I've also seen many other legendary bands. But easily the best concert was a few years ago at the Manchester Arena - Leonard Cohen. Magical, spiritual experience from an incredible personality and talent. My wife was not a fan before - but she fell in love with him that night.

The worst - Lily Allen, New Years Eve, Edinburgh Castle Gardens 2014 - absolute dross!

It would probably be fair to say that Lily Allen's core demographic doesn't include people that were at the Isle of Wight in 1970. Or, in fact, anywhere else in 1970.
  • Options

Best - Joni Mitchell April 1974 New Victoria.
    Nina Simone - Apr 1967 Uppercut Club Plaistow
    Buddy Holly - March 1958 Granada Woolwich.

Worst cant think of one

You saw Buddy Holly in 58 mate in Woolwich! Wow!! So jealous!! Just love the musical and his entire story and what he did for modern, popular music.

Anyway;

Best: Pretty much any of the numerous Depeche gigs I've seen since 1986; Eddie Vedder at Hammersmith in 2013(?); The Alarm, The Damned and Stiff Little Fingers 2009, Shepherds Bush (en-route Munich for Depeche!).

Worst: Elton John, Wembley Arena (with orchestra); Embrace, Norwich UEA.
  • Options
    Best..... Jools Holland at the Albert Hall.
    Worst........ The Nolan sisters at woolwich odeon.

I've only been to two concerts as I was grounded for the Who concert at The Valley.
  • Options
    Best, Skids at The Marquee March 79 I think, Pistols 2008 Brixton, Secret Affair+Purple Hearts (March of the Mods Tour) Lyceum in 79 I think.

No worst - I am careful who I see
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Best..... Vera Lynn - VE Day Party.
    Worst........ The Beverley Sisters at woolwich odeon.

I've only been to two concerts as I was grounded for the Who concert at The Valley.

• Options
    Best: Definitely Springsteen. Either Wembley Arena, River Tour 1981 or Wembley Stadium, Born in the USA Tour 1985. Seen him many times over the years but these are the stand outs. The bigger the catalogue, the more chance of hearing stuff you don't rate as much.

Worst: Coldplay, Earls Court, circa 2004? I think it was shit, but to be fair I did snooze through quite a bit of it.
  • Options
    Best - Prince at the 02, Prince at the Roundhouse, the Undertones at the Lyceum
    Worst - The Damned The Roundhouse
  • Options
    Best - Faith No More at Brixton on the Angel Dust tour. All three nights were memorable, but the final night, infamous for Patton drinking piss out of a trainer, had the closest thing I've ever had to a religious experience when - after 90 minutes of absolute fucking mayhem in the pit, the last song before the encore was Jizzlobber - and the organ at the end was so loud it rattled my brain and played out for the last 30 seconds before stopping dead - a split second pause and then the loudest roar you've ever heard 3000 people make in your life. I will never, ever forget that moment as long as I live

Worst - Oasis at the Venue in New Cross. Knew there was a load of buzz about them, but I thought they were absolute shit. I quite liked the first two albums, but they were an awful live band - never bothered seeing them again
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I've been very lucky to have been to many great concerts - not least IoW 1970. You would think seeing Hendrix and The Doors live would take some topping and I've also seen many other legendary bands. But easily the best concert was a few years ago at the Manchester Arena - Leonard Cohen. Magical, spiritual experience from an incredible personality and talent. My wife was not a fan before - but she fell in love with him that night.

The worst - Lily Allen, New Years Eve, Edinburgh Castle Gardens 2014 - absolute dross!

lucky git !! I was just out of nappies then & didn't get into them for another 15 years so missed seeing the great Mr Mojo Risin.

However, I still have my ticket from 2003 when their re-incarnation (The Doors of the 21st century) played Wembley. Not the same I bet, but at least I got to see Ray play before his sad demise.

Apart from them, my best was the Teenage Cancer Trust in 2012 with Kelly Jones from the Stereophonics played.

I haven't been to that many concerts to have a worst - but probably George Benson at Wembley in late 80's. Not really my thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

bobmunro said:

It would probably be fair to say that Lily Allen's core demographic doesn't include people that were at the Isle of Wight in 1970. Or, in fact, anywhere else in 1970.
    I would agree - we were at the concert anyway as part of the hogmanay celebrations - Bjorn Again on first and then Soul2Soul. When Lily came back on after the fireworks at midnight we made a bee-line for the nearest pub!!
  • Options
    best - Simply Red at Warwick Castle. Summers evening but it absolutely poured down. Went back to hotel in Stratford very wet but very entertained.

worst - toss up between EWF at Wembley, great visual show but bad singing or George Benson, why do some artists carry on far too long when they should have long retired.
  • Options
    Best
    Clapton at the Albert Hall in 1990
    Worst
    Sex Pistols and the Clash at the Lanchester Polytechnic 1976

• Options

bobmunro said:

lucky git !! I was just out of nappies then & didn't get into them for another 15 years so missed seeing the great Mr Mojo Risin.

However, I still have my ticket from 2003 when their re-incarnation (The Doors of the 21st century) played Wembley. Not the same I bet, but at least I got to see Ray play before his sad demise.

Apart from them, my best was the Teenage Cancer Trust in 2012 with Kelly Jones from the Stereophonics played.

I haven't been to that many concerts to have a worst - but probably George Benson at Wembley in late 80's. Not really my thing.

Agree with Leonard Cohen - i fell in love with him at the O2 - class
  • Options
    Best: Morrissey, Manchester Apollo (50th birthday). Springsteen at the Olympic Park car park was top notch.

Worst: By a mile, Ian McNabb at The Borderline, he had a hit album with Neil Young's backing band Crazy Horse and decided that night that, being cool (massive prick), he wouldn't play anything from the album...
  • Options
    kimbo said:

bobmunro said:

Agree with Leonard Cohen - i fell in love with him at the O2 - class
    Yes an amazing man - just pure charisma and could hold an audience in the palm of his hand. For me he is close with Dylan (my ultimate musical hero) as a songwriter/poet but Bobby edges it, just, although not live - Cohen trounces him as a performer.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

I was only 13!!!

(too young to really appreciate what I was seeing)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Metallica, Wembley Stadium 2007.

Was the first time a metal band had headlined a stadium of that size in the U.K, and they blew the roof off the place.

Oasis, also at Wembley - 2009.

Literally a couple of months before they split up and am very grateful to have had the chance to see them.

Can't think of a 'worst' one - if I don't have any interest in a band then I won't go and see them.
  • Options

Best, Skids at The Marquee March 79 I think, Pistols 2008 Brixton, Secret Affair+Purple Hearts (March of the Mods Tour) Lyceum in 79 I think.

No worst - I am careful who I see

The Skids was a good gig, they played 2 nights, i saw The Cure with The Scars on the sunday before and The Skids on the following Wednesday i think.
  • Options
    Springsteen at Wembley in '85 was a great gig , lovely summers evening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best : Heatwave New Victoria Theatre 1977 and close U2 at the O2 2016.

Worst: To many to mention. Most 70's live gigs were disappointing as the sound systems in the venues could never re produce the recordings made in a studio.
  • Options
    best ...the Faces Xmas eve 1974 edmonton odeon

worst... Whitney Houston -c1995 Earls Court
  • Options
    Best: Tom Waits @ The Apollo London Victoria 1981
    Worst : Fela Kuti @ The Brixton Academy 1986 terrible sound.
  • Options
    Best; Beth Hart and Joe Bonnamassa Hampton Court
    Worst; Taj Mahal at Ronnie Scotts. Has gone on 20 years too long.
  • Options
    Best: Beta Band at Hammersmith (I think) during their farewell tour were amazing.
    Seeing Neil Young and Crazy Horse was something I never thought I get the chance to do and, despite it being the O2, they didn't disappoint.
    Stevie Wonder at Hyde Park playing Songs in the Key of Life.
    Stone Roses at Finsbury Park-brilliant to see them live but even better being part of the collective show of wild happiness from the crowd.
    My absolute favourite gig though will always be Oasis at Earls Court in November 1995 as it was my first gig and being a green 16 year old, the whole night blew my mind a bit-I was still completely off my head at school the next day.

Worst: The Charlatans during their Some Friendly anniversary tour as I convinced myself Tim Burgess was miming. With hindsight I don't think he was but it was enough to ruin my night.
  • Options
    Best - a number of Big Country gigs from 83 up to 1999. Stuart Adamson was brilliant. Always.
    Worst - difficult to recall really bad ones. I saw so many gigs at The Ship in Plumstead and many more at Thames Poly/Tramshed in very early 80s. Some of them were pretty bad.
  • Options
    HandG said:

Best: Beta Band at Hammersmith (I think) during their farewell tour were amazing.
    Seeing Neil Young and Crazy Horse was something I never thought I get the chance to do and, despite it being the O2, they didn't disappoint.
    Stevie Wonder at Hyde Park playing Songs in the Key of Life.
    Stone Roses at Finsbury Park-brilliant to see them live but even better being part of the collective show of wild happiness from the crowd.
    My absolute favourite gig though will always be Oasis at Earls Court in November 1995 as it was my first gig and being a green 16 year old, the whole night blew my mind a bit-I was still completely off my head at school the next day.

Worst: The Charlatans during their Some Friendly anniversary tour as I convinced myself Tim Burgess was miming. With hindsight I don't think he was but it was enough to ruin my night.

would have loved to have been at the Stevie Wonder Gig ...
  • Options
    Fairly predictable Best for me - Bowie at Shepherds Bush Empire 1997, amazing to see him at a small venue having only seen him before at Arenas and outdoor gigs (too young for anything before 1983 Milton Keynes gig)

Worst - took my mum to see Simply Red, never again. He can sing but found Mick Hucknall so irritating it ruined it for me
  • Options
    Best: Muse Reading festival 2002 - absolutely pouring with rain with a bit of thunder & lightening mixed in but all added to the atmosphere

Worst: Red Hot Chilli Peppers Reading festival 2007 - Awful, felt like they were just having a bit of a jam and couldn't wait to get off the stage