Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Concerts You Ever Saw In Person? Worst?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Best:

Dire Straits. Glasgow Apollo. 1980.
    Eric Clapton. Royal Albert Hall. 1988. 1990 ran it close.
    Runrig. Glasgow University Union 1983, Hammersmith Odeon 1991 and Shepherds Bush Empire 2001.
    John Martyn - Glasgow Pavilon 1985
    Richard Thompson - Royal Festival Hall 1991 and Shepherds Bush Empire 1986.
    Mark Knopfler. Albert Hall. 1997.
    Big Country. Edinburgh Playhouse 1983.

Worst:

John Martyn - Glasgow 1986 I think it was. He was blind drunk, fell off his stool and retired “unwell” after two songs.

• Options
    Some others that spring to mind are New Order at Manchester G-Mex in 88 - that was a great venue. Was a few months before Acid House kicked in, talking of which Primal Scream at The Hacienda in 89 - a crap venue for live music but the seeds of Screamadelica were being sown. Any Teenage Fanclub concert I have seen anywhere ever - such a great band. Spiritualized at the Royal Albert Hall, Loop’s comeback show at Austin Psych Fest - Gospelbeach lastvyear in California. So many good ones...
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Some others that spring to mind are New Order at Manchester G-Mex in 88 - that was a great venue. Was a few months before Acid House kicked in, talking of which Primal Scream at The Hacienda in 89 - a crap venue for live music but the seeds of Screamadelica were being sown. Any Teenage Fanclub concert I have seen anywhere ever - such a great band. Spiritualized at the Royal Albert Hall, Loop’s comeback show at Austin Psych Fest - Gospelbeach lastvyear in California. So many good ones...

Wasn't the G-Mex where we won the soccer 6?
  • Options
    Big Field - Zeppelin at Knebworth
    Big Arena - Muse at The Gahden in Boston
    Small Arena - Who - Tommy at the Albert Hall in 1990 something
    Club - so many at the Marquee. Black Crowes could be the winner. But Lacuna Coil in NY a couple of years ago were right up there. And the Alarm some place in Finsbury around 1985.

Worst. Ignoring crap support bands. I’ve seen more than one Bob Dylan shocker, and when he’s bad, he’s really bad.
  • Options
    Best - I have 3. Ultravox @the lyceum 1979, OMD and The Monochrome Set @ centre point (separate gigs), 1980.
    Worst - much easier. The Real Thing and David Essex, Wembley Arena 1978, supposedly, The Great British music festival, I was only there to see The Rich Kids and they were shite too.
  • Options

Best - Joni Mitchell April 1974 New Victoria.
    Nina Simone - Apr 1967 Uppercut Club Plaistow
    Buddy Holly - March 1958 Granada Woolwich.

Worst cant think of one

Wow, lucky you JS.
    I am beyond envious mate.

• Options
    Buddy Holly wow!
    Agree with Bob that Cohen was the nuts.
  • Options
    Big Bob Dylan fan and would say that both my best and worst concerts I have been to were his. Saw a superb gig of his in Cardiff in 2000 where he was on fantastic form but saw an awful one a few years before at the same venue where he just seemed to want to subvert his own back catalogue by playing everything on keyboards seemingly in 'the club style'. They're his songs and I suppose it's his prerogative but my God it was grim.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    cafcdog said:

I was one of the guitarist in Vaguely Divine!
    Between 81-84 I was always going to gigs at the cellar bar. Saw Wasted Youth so many times but mainly at the Bridge House. Saw The Alarm at the cellar bar a few times.Remember bands like Praxis, Vaguely Divine etc. some really good times, really good gigs and some not so good. Sure we would have been at the same gigs during this time!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hard to name one favourite.
    The Kinks at the London Palladium in '74 was special; Crosby, Stills and Nash in Bournemouth a year or 2 back was awesome; The Rolling Stones at Wembley in 1983.
    But I think the one I most enjoyed was Brian Wilson touring the legendary and finally completed Smile album in Bournemouth in 2004 (?) - a real religious experience for those of us that had been waiting since 1966.
    Worst - I have probably blotted out the very worst from my memory, but most disappointing I'd have to say - Jethro Tull in Southampton about 10 years ago; Paul Simon at Bournemouth BIC -really flat,just never took off; and Led Zepp at the Ally Pally in 1974 - Plant's voice was flat and Page's self-indulgent fuckery with a violin bow bored the pants off me( in fairness I should add that I was very much in the minority with that view).
  • Options

Best - Led Zep at knebworth / The Who at Lewisham Odeon.

Worst - Wham! At Lyceum (old girlfriend took me!!!)

The Who at Lewisham- was this with Nine Below Zero as support? My memory of this gig was Daltrey and Townsend nearly coming to blows. Naughty boys.
  • Options

Buddy Holly wow!
    Agree with Bob that Cohen was the nuts.

So good to see such an appreciation of Cohen in this thread. I’ve loved his music from way back to albums such as Songs of Leonard Cohen and Songs of Love and Hate but he seemed to be an acquired taste for so many years - almost a butt of jokes. But he was inspirational for me and became more and more revered as he aged. As a live performer he was up there with the very, very best of any genre - you felt he was there to just sing you his songs and truly humbled that you were prepared to honour him by listening.

RIP legend.

• Options
    Best - can't choose but one out of Kate Bush (Palladium 1979), The Stranglers - at The Rainbow (I think on The Raven tour - 1979 was a great year), Thin Lizzy Hammy Odeon (1978 I think), no-man about 4 years ago, Prince lovesexy tour Wembley Arena 1988, Springsteen Wembley 'Born in the USA' era and last time at Wembley Stadium 'Darkness on the edge of town' in full - oh and the recent Steely Dan show at the o2. I could go on all night.
    Worst - either Val Doonican or The Nolans at Woolwich Odeon - forced by my parents!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Over the years I’ve seen Bowie, stevie wonder, Bryan ferry etc but if i have to pick the best then it has to be a sixties tribute ensemble in an unlikely place out in the sticks one night. Why the fuck they were there, who knows but they were fucking fantastic, think The Comittments, they were unbelievably good. What happened to them after that, who knows but they were superb and it was a great evening and the fiver entry fee was cheap even at the time. I heard the place tried to book them again but they wanted far too much money, which I could understand but the place couldn’t justify paying it. Worse one, there’s no such thing as a worse live performance, they each bring a bit of magic, even if they are not that good...
  • Options

The Kinks at the London Palladium in '74 was special; Crosby, Stills and Nash in Bournemouth a year or 2 back was awesome; The Rolling Stones at Wembley in 1983.
    But I think the one I most enjoyed was Brian Wilson touring the legendary and finally completed Smile album in Bournemouth in 2004 (?) - a real religious experience for those of us that had been waiting since 1966.
    Worst - I have probably blotted out the very worst from my memory, but most disappointing I'd have to say - Jethro Tull in Southampton about 10 years ago; Paul Simon at Bournemouth BIC -really flat,just never took off; and Led Zepp at the Ally Pally in 1974 - Plant's voice was flat and Page's self-indulgent fuckery with a violin bow bored the pants off me( in fairness I should add that I was very much in the minority with that view).

Brian Wilson came to Calgary around 2011 we had front row seats and I brought along my daughter (she was 7 or 8) at the time. She was so happy and immersed in the music - the great man, looked down from the stage at us and gave her a big thumbs up and a smile.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Brian Wilson came to Calgary around 2011 we had front row seats and I brought along my daughter (she was 7 or 8) at the time. She was so happy and immersed in the music - the great man, looked down from the stage at us and gave her a big thumbs up and a smile.
    He comes across as a very sweet, warm-hearted man I think, albeit sadly, maybe not quite the full ticket.
    But what a catalogue of songs to choose from.
  • Options
    Blondie comeback in '98. She played at the Rivermead Leisure Centre in Reading. A surreal experience having a drink in the bar beforehand and people were coming downstairs from having played badminton or squash. After we finished our drinks we opened the door seperating the bar and the hall which held 5-a-side football and the iconic Debbie Harry then was blaring our her classics.

The worst, Splodgenessabounds supporting Bad Manners in Chatham.

Splodge came on about an hour late to counter the bad timekeeping of Buster and mates. As a result we had to miss half the set of Bad Manners so we could get the last train back to Bromley.
  • Options
    Mrkinski said:

Best - Led Zep at knebworth / The Who at Lewisham Odeon.

Worst - Wham! At Lyceum (old girlfriend took me!!!)

The Who at Lewisham- was this with Nine Below Zero as support? My memory of this gig was Daltrey and Townsend nearly coming to blows. Naughty boys.
    Support that night was Dire Straits. Daltrey and Townsend were at each other’s throats near the end for some reason.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BDL said:

Great thread!

Best a toss up between Frost* at Dingwall’s last November or Rush at Wembley, three rows from the front and a banging 20 minute drum solo from the Professor.

Worst - Simply because of the awful sound quality at the O2 Rush on the Clockwork Angels tour. I left early and it was the last time I’d ever get to see them, so so disappointing.

Let me throw this into the mix, Loudest was in 1987, Def Leppard at the Lakeland Arena in Florida. My hearing still suffers.

The loudest concert I can remember was The Troggs at the Deptford Crypt in 84. Stood at the front and my ears were ringing for hours afterwards.
  • Options
    Best: The Levellers at Dorking halls ! So electric

Worst: I haven't seen a bad one
  • Options

Best:

Dire Straits. Glasgow Apollo. 1980.
    Eric Clapton. Royal Albert Hall. 1988. 1990 ran it close.
    Runrig. Glasgow University Union 1983, Hammersmith Odeon 1991 and Shepherds Bush Empire 2001.
    John Martyn - Glasgow Pavilon 1985
    Richard Thompson - Royal Festival Hall 1991 and Shepherds Bush Empire 1986.
    Mark Knopfler. Albert Hall. 1997.
    Big Country. Edinburgh Playhouse 1983.

Worst:

John Martyn - Glasgow 1986 I think it was. He was blind drunk, fell off his stool and retired “unwell” after two songs.

Big Country! Omg I wish I'd seen them live! I love them! They have an iconic song ,you can tell it's them straight away
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Best: Oasis at Maine Road April 1996

Worst: Coldplay at Earls Court 2003
  • Options
    Just home from Noel Gallagher tonight in Glasgow. V v good.
  • Options

Best - Joni Mitchell April 1974 New Victoria.
    Nina Simone - Apr 1967 Uppercut Club Plaistow

Worst cant think of one

You saw Buddy Holly in 58 mate in Woolwich! Wow!! So jealous!! Just love the musical and his entire story and what he did for modern, popular music.

Anyway;

Best: Pretty much any of the numerous Depeche gigs I've seen since 1986; Eddie Vedder at Hammersmith in 2013(?); The Alarm, The Damned and Stiff Little Fingers 2009, Shepherds Bush (en-route Munich for Depeche!).

Worst: Elton John, Wembley Arena (with orchestra); Embrace, Norwich UEA.
    Why were Embrace so bad? Normally a great live band.
  • Options

Whoa, I've never met anyone who ever saw him live. Were those concerts something like 45 min back then?
    From memory Buddy was on stage for about an hour, I cant remember the supporting acts but Des O'Conner was the compere, I was only 13 at the time
  • Options
    Best: Primal Scream supported by The Orb all nighter Brixton Academy Screamadelica tour
    Worst: Pale Saints and Saint Etienne at the Astoria. Saint Etienne didn't turn up!
  • Options
    Best - U2 supported by the Pretenders at Elland Road Leeds 1987

Worst- Gary Numan at the Virgin Festival Chelmsford in 1994 / Psychedelic Furs Brixton Academy 1990