Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England potential squad for World Cup 2018

Oxlade-Chamberlain is confirmed to be out for the rest of the season and even the World Cup with a knee ligament injury.

With that in mind, who would your 23 players be to take with us to the World Cup?

Comments

• edited April 2018
    That’s a shame, he was looking the part for Liverpool and would have been close to, if not staring in Russia.
  • Would have made my 11 right now. Shame.
  • as long as none of this lot are there ....

• Would've had him starting. That's a shame.
  • Does anybody else think it's a shame?
  • edited April 2018
    Huge shame, The Ox was having a brilliant season.

Pope, Butland, Pickford

Walker, Tripper, Jones, Stones, Maguire, Gomez, Rose, Young

Alli, Wilshere, Dier, Hendo, Winks, Lallana, Lingard, Sterling

Vardy, Kane, Rashford & Welbeck.
  • Shame as he was coming into form at the right time. Gives Shelvey a better chance possibly?
  • Anyway my choices:

Butland, Pickford, Joe Hart

Walker, Trippier, Stones, Cahill, Smalling, Maguire, Bertrand, Jones

Dier, Alli, Henderson, Young, Wilshere, Delph, Lallana (if fit)/Cook

Sterling, Rashford, Kane, Lingard, Vardy
  • edited April 2018
    Pope, Butland, Pickford

Walker, Tripper, Jones, Stones, Maguire, Betram, Rose, Milner.

Alli, Wilshere, Dier, Hendo, Winks, Shelvey, Lingard, Sterling

Vardy, Kane, Rashford & Wellbeck

Milner is probably having the best season of his life and was superb last night. Great provider and knows how to defend. Must be close.

Edit. Taken Young out and put Milner in. Proper player and not a diving twat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Milner retired from International football
  • For the people picking Wilshere and Lallana, would you not be worried about both of them breaking down what with their injury history
  • Pope | Butland | Pickford
    Walker | Trippier | Stones | Maguire | Gomez | Young | Rose | Tarkowski
    Alli | Dier | Henderson | Shelvey | Lingard | Sterling | Cook
    Kane | Vardy | Rashford | Sessegnon
  • For the people picking Wilshere and Lallana, would you not be worried about both of them breaking down what with their injury history

I’d use them against Panama and Tunisia, where we will have high possession and need creativity to break them down. Belgium and later stages, if we get there, then they could be useful off the bench,

With the absense of Chamberlain we're desperate for creativity in the middle. Even if one manages to stay fit it'll be worth it rather than sticking in Loftus-Cheek or Livermore.
  • Ashley Young has to go. Been the best English left back this season.
  • Butland, Pickford, Pope
    Walker, Tripper, Rose, Bertrand
    Maguire, Cahill, Stones, Gomez
    Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Milner,
    Sterling, Alli, Lallana, Lingard
    Kane, Welbeck, Vardy, Rashford

It's a weak squad though, players like Lingard shouldn't be in that squad but we have no alternatives.

He hasn't though, he's been bang average. The only reason he's got near the team is because Jose doesn't rate Blind and is devoting the current majority of his career to bullying Luke Shaw. Young has been surprisingly good for a washed up winger but he's so far from the standard needed for the England squad. His most recent display of brilliance was somehow getting away with nearly removing Aguero's leg in the penalty area, which should have been a pen and a red. He would get shown up so badly at a World Cup

He hasn't though, he's been bang average. The only reason he's got near the team is because Jose doesn't rate Blind and is devoting the current majority of his career to bullying Luke Shaw. Young has been surprisingly good for a washed up winger but he's so far from the standard needed for the England squad. His most recent display of brilliance was somehow getting away with nearly removing Aguero's leg in the penalty area, which should have been a pen and a red. He would get shown up so badly at a World Cup
    agreed, he's only about as good as Cresswell and Baines if that. Bertrand and Rose have certainly earned spots ahead of him.

agreed, he's only about as good as Cresswell and Baines if that. Bertrand and Rose have certainly earned spots ahead of him.
    Rose?! He's barely played this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wouldnt go near Welbeck in terms of selection
  • Milner retired from International football

I know, but the squad is the one I would pick.

Also like forever-addicts Tarkowski pick. My son raves about him and saw him against WHU and he was very impressive. I don’t think he would let us down.
  • Does anybody else think it's a shame?

Yes, wouldn't have had him starting, but definitely a shame. He's struggled to set international football alight but he's coming off maybe his best, most consistent season as a pro. He was given so much at such a young age and it's nice to see him finally nail down a position and consistently influence games.

It's one of Dier/Henderson and Whilshere (maybe Lallana) in the middle for me against Belgium and Tunisia. 4-2-3-1 against Panama because I can't see the need for three center backs. But yeah definitely someone who could have been influential, especially against tiring legs.

Young may have weaknesses defensively, but offers a lot going forward, which seems to be key these days. He's played regularly too, unlike Rose.

For the people picking Wilshere and Lallana, would you not be worried about both of them breaking down what with their injury history

Until this season, Lallana's injury record was very good. By contrast Wilshere this season has played a lot of games, the exception being when he got injured just before the last England squad was picked!
  • Cant believe that some people relate Oxlade-Chamberlain to creativity !

I don't necessarily agree with a majority of the post, but you definitely got a like for the great line "Jose doesn't rate Blind and is devoting the current majority of his career to bullying Luke Shaw."

I think Young has been good. I don't think he's been brilliant. I think it's another example of English players are increasingly fringe players at their clubs, and thus there aren't a plethora of options, which means "good" is good enough to get on the plane in a lot of positions. I don't think he'd be massively shown up though. I think he'd do an alright job, get found out a couple times, get forward well a couple times.

Ryan Bertrand isn't exactly setting the world on fire, and Danny Rose hasn't been playing. That said, I'd still bring Rose, I think he's the best option. From there it becomes a numbers game for me. I think bringing Young makes sense if you want to bring Walker as a right back/center back and then take one fewer center back. Young's advantage is he can play on both sides. If not, I'd probably take Bertrand. I also think that Bertrand is a good option to play on the left side of a back three with two other center backs and Walker at right wingback, as Walker did in the last two friendlies.
  • Need to convince Milner to come out of retirement.
  • I’d be tempted to pick a target man like Carroll as a plan B to come off the bench for last 15 mins if game not going to plan
  • jamescafc said:

I’d be tempted to pick a target man like Carroll as a plan B to come off the bench for last 15 mins if game not going to plan

Who?