Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England potential squad for World Cup 2018

Comments

• Options

Huge shame, The Ox was having a brilliant season.

Pope, Butland, Pickford

Walker, Tripper, Jones, Stones, Maguire, Gomez, Rose, Young

Alli, Wilshere, Dier, Hendo, Winks, Lallana, Lingard, Sterling

Vardy, Kane, Rashford & Welbeck.

3 goalkeepers & 4 strikers - yet you can only play 1 goalkeeper & strikers score goals.

I am in the minority of 1 with everyone but I would only take 2 goalkeepers, thus freeing up more space for another striker.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

I’d be tempted to pick a target man like Carroll as a plan B to come off the bench for last 15 mins if game not going to plan

The problem with taking Carroll as a plan B is you immediately need a plan C when part of his anatomy explodes 30 seconds after he comes on the pitch
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

jamescafc said:

I’d be tempted to pick a target man like Carroll as a plan B to come off the bench for last 15 mins if game not going to plan

Who?
    Crouch ?
  • Options
    Butland Pickford Pope
    Walker Trippier
    Bertrand Rose
    Stones Jones Gomez Cahill Dier
    Henderson Wilshere Shelvey Lallana
    Alli Sterling Lingard
    Kane Vardy Rashford Welbeck

On balance I'm a winger/attacker short but there is no one knocking the door down.

What strikes me is the options we have at CB. I haven't picked Maguire Tarkowski Mawson or Keane who have all been in squads over the last year or so. And there is smalling who whilst I don't think Southgate rates him and he wouldn't fit his system he is playing well at United.

We also have fuck all options in attack. Other than the ones I've picked who is there? Defoe or Sturridge? Nah you're alright. Abraham/ Solanke hmmmm. With the Ox out we are also short of creative players Barkley? Loftus-cheek?

The 11
    .......................Kane
    .........Alli..........................Sterling
    Bertrand Wilshere Henderson Trippier
    ..............Gomez Stones Walker
    .........................Butland

Against the weaker teams I'd probably play Alli alongside Wilshere and bring Lingard/ Rashford in.

One of Hendo and Dier in midfield.
  • Options

Cant believe that some people relate Oxlade-Chamberlain to creativity !

You watched Liverpool play this year?
  • Options

Huge shame, The Ox was having a brilliant season.

Pope, Butland, Pickford

Walker, Tripper, Jones, Stones, Maguire, Gomez, Rose, Young

Alli, Wilshere, Dier, Hendo, Winks, Lallana, Lingard, Sterling

Vardy, Kane, Rashford & Welbeck.

3 goalkeepers & 4 strikers - yet you can only play 1 goalkeeper & strikers score goals.

I am in the minority of 1 with everyone but I would only take 2 goalkeepers, thus freeing up more space for another striker.
    Unfortunately Fifa gave an extra squad place specifically for 3rd goalies. You cannot ditch one for an additional outfielder.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

The problem with taking Carroll as a plan B is you immediately need a plan C when part of his anatomy explodes 30 seconds after he comes on the pitch
    But what a 30 seconds. Woof.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    GK: Pope, Pickford, Butland

Def: Trippier, Walker, Rose, Young, Tarkowski, Maguire, Smalling, Gomez

Mid: Sterling, Alli, Shelvey, Lallana, Lingard, Drinkwater, Wilshere, Henderson (Ox replaces him if fit)

Forwards: Vardy, Rashford, Kane, Lookman
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can almost guarantee Southgate won't pick smalling. He has said many times he doeant see him fitting into the 3 at the back system. He doesn't think he has enough to play a passing out from the back game . I reckon he is about 8th choice in Southgates mind to play in that back 3.
  • Options

Mid: Sterling, Alli, Shelvey, Lallana, Lingard, Drinkwater, Wilshere, Henderson (Ox replaces him if fit)

CAFC tinted glasses on there? ;)

• Options
    Way OTT reaction, Yes the Ox has been in good form and would be a good option but i dont think he suits England. From the bench if we needed a winger yes i would have taken him, not started him.

I know we are not blessed in CM, but he is not the answer.
  • Options

Butland, Pickford, Pope
    Walker, Tripper, Rose, Bertrand
    Maguire, Cahill, Stones, Gomez
    Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Milner,
    Sterling, Alli, Lallana, Lingard
    Kane, Welbeck, Vardy, Rashford

It's a weak squad though, players like Lingard shouldn't be in that squad but we have no alternatives.

Disagree Lingard has been class this season, only missed out on start 11 because of Ali is in front of him. Really like him as a player, always finds a way to unlock the defence, makes good runs and a very clever player.
  • Options

CAFC tinted glasses on there? ;)

A bit - Lookman would be a real wildcard but I'd take him over Welbeck as he's more capable of getting you something from nothing - a bit like Defoe could at his peak. Welbeck works hard and does a lot for the team but Lookman is an unknown at international level and teams wouldn't know how to deal with him.

Shelvey gives England something no other player can and Pope and Gomez are absolute musts, whether you're a Charlton fan or not. Pope should be England number one in my opinion. Pickford is living off that one season at Sunderland.
  • Options
    First 11:

Butland
    Walker, Stones, Tarkowski
    Trippier - Young
    Henderson - Wilshere
    Sterling/ Kane/ Ali

Other 12,
    Pickford, Pope (if allowed agree 2 would be better)
    Dier, Gomez, Bertrand
    Lallana, Lingard, Loftus Cheek, Lewis Cook
    Rashford, Vardy,Wellbeck (dont rate but seems to do well for England and something different)

Not sure if i have missed any players, but seems a good balance. On paper not the best england side but all can operate with 3 at the back or if we have to change.
  • Options
    For those of you putting Gomez in your squad or even starting XI, is this based on actual form or simply because he's ex-Charlton.

From the few occasions i've seen him play this season he's made plenty of mistakes and been at fault for a few goals. Liverpool fans have been slaughtering him.
  • Options
    No Cahill ?

• Options

Cant believe that some people relate Oxlade-Chamberlain to creativity !

You watched Liverpool play this year?
    Must admit....no I havnt.
    So that must mean he has been playing well then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    And so highlights the issue around young English players making it at the big clubs.

Handful of mistakes they're not good enough, whilst some kid who has played a handful of games in the Croatian Premier League will move to the Premier League, start every week and make just as many mistakes

This is a kid who kept Neymar and Germany at bay (Just to name a few this season) - Not to mention the fact that he's having to play for Liverpool out of position... Even at Charlton he should have been playing Centre-Back, just happened to be ideal cover for Solly
  • Options
    Liverpool fans still rate Gomez though. He’s young and only playing every other game, he’ll improve.

https://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/395709-Centre-Backs-for-next-season
  • Options

And so highlights the issue around young English players making it at the big clubs.

Handful of mistakes they're not good enough, whilst some kid who has played a handful of games in the Croatian Premier League will move to the Premier League, start every week and make just as many mistakes

This is a kid who kept Neymar and Germany at bay (Just to name a few this season) - Not to mention the fact that he's having to play for Liverpool out of position... Even at Charlton he should have been playing Centre-Back, just happened to be ideal cover for Solly

I think whatever country you are from, prem team fans will not give you time to settle in.
  • Options
    Liverpool fans on Twitter are the worst.
  • Options
    Champs85 said:

Liverpool fans still rate Gomez though. He’s young and only playing every other game, he’ll improve.

Yes i don't doubt that, he's certainly a great talent and you'd hope he would improve, especially as he's been injured a lot. But is he good enough to start for us in a world cup yet? I'm not so sure.
  • Options

Champs85 said:

Yes i don't doubt that, he's certainly a great talent and you'd hope he would improve, especially as he's been injured a lot. But is he good enough to start for us in a world cup yet? I'm not so sure.
    When will he be ready to start a World Cup game though?

Think we should throw these kids in at the deep end - Everyone knows we're not going to win it so why mess around taking the likes of Joe Hart and Danny Welbeck

Get the kids to learn from the experience and get them to take on board what they've learnt ahead of Euro 2020 and Qatar 2022
  • Options
    Gomez was man of the match in his full debut for England against Brazil. He suited the system we were playing and that's the most important thing with international football. He's good on the ball which is essential in a back three and he's quick enough to track pacey strikers, get across to a winger if the wing-back is caught out of position, and cover for another centre half if he gets beaten. The way Liverpool are set up they are a mistake machine; all pell-mell pressing which leaves gaps and no room for misjudgments at the back. I reckon Dejan Lovren doesn't sleep anymore, the poor bloke couldn't be in a team less suited to him. Add to that the fact Gomez normally plays at RB for Liverpool which is not his natural position; I think he's played at CB once this season in the League Cup, which is as many times as he's played left back for Liverpool this year.

The thing with Twitter is it's very easy to find a few posts that back up a view, but they don't necessarily make up the majority. You could dig out a post-match thread on here mid-season and you'd think the whole Charlton fanbase thought Tarique Fosu is a donkey based on a couple of poor performances. I think one of those Twitter posters claiming he's a good Championship player at best (in ALL CAPS no less) after he kept Firmino and Neymar quiet all game at Wembley shows just how considered some of those opinions are.
  • Options

Gomez was man of the match in his full debut for England against Brazil. He suited the system we were playing and that's the most important thing with international football. He's good on the ball which is essential in a back three and he's quick enough to track pacey strikers, get across to a winger if the wing-back is caught out of position, and cover for another centre half if he gets beaten. The way Liverpool are set up they are a mistake machine; all pell-mell pressing which leaves gaps and no room for misjudgments at the back. I reckon Dejan Lovren doesn't sleep anymore, the poor bloke couldn't be in a team less suited to him. Add to that the fact Gomez normally plays at RB for Liverpool which is not his natural position; I think he's played at CB once this season in the League Cup, which is as many times as he's played left back for Liverpool this year.

The thing with Twitter is it's very easy to find a few posts that back up a view, but they don't necessarily make up the majority. You could dig out a post-match thread on here mid-season and you'd think the whole Charlton fanbase thought Tarique Fosu is a donkey based on a couple of poor performances. I think one of those Twitter posters claiming he's a good Championship player at best (in ALL CAPS no less) after he kept Firmino and Neymar quiet all game at Wembley shows just how considered some of those opinions are.

Agree with a lot of what you're saying but:

He rarely plays at CB for Liverpool, so why throw him in there at a world cup when there's other guys who play there every week.
    A lot of those twitter posts are about his season, not just one game. Most are pointing to a number of mistakes, not just 1 bad game.
    Playing well in an international friendly is good, but hardly comparable to starting in a world cup. Prior to the Euro's we beat Portugal in a friendly then look what happened, it means fuck all.
  • Options
    Gomez doesn't deserve a place in this squad. He hasn't played anywhere near enough games at CB for Liverpool and hasn't been good enough at RB. Really happy for him with how he played in England friendlies and I am sure Southgate is too. But there are other CB's who warrant a place more than he does.

I am positive we will see him in an England shirt at a major tournament, but I don't think it will be this one.