Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England potential squad for World Cup 2018

Comments

• Options
    It's good to play with a certain style, and pick players to play that system, but it's a bit "dogmatic" to be relying on players like Gomez and Stones who have hardly played recently, or playing Kyle Walker out of position, but then leave Smalling out completely, someone who's been playing regularly for the second best team in the league.
  • Options

Liverpool fans on Twitter are the worst.

Most of them have never been to Anfield I'd guess.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Easy to pick out a handful of people moaning about Gomez when there's hundreds of thousands of Liverpool fans on twitter about him.

He should go based off the strength of his performances for England (Neymar in his back pocket anyone?) and IMO should be starting if Southgate wants a ball playing back three. If he's playing four at the back, I don't see how Joe fits into the formation just yet.
  • Options

Gomez doesn't deserve a place in this squad. He hasn't played anywhere near enough games at CB for Liverpool and hasn't been good enough at RB. Really happy for him with how he played in England friendlies and I am sure Southgate is too. But there are other CB's who warrant a place more than he does.

I am positive we will see him in an England shirt at a major tournament, but I don't think it will be this one.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/11/15/joe-gomez-proving-liverpool-bargain-adding-neymar-list-players/
  • Options
    For me, now Ox is out Shelvey and/or Milner has to be a real option to go. Even with Milner being retired from internationals.
    Further to that, Gomez is a must for me too.
    Delph is a player I like as well and can play in defence if we really need him too.
    Hart is also going to go whether he deserves it or not.
    Including Ashley Young as he can play left wing back and help in midfield as well if we decide to change formation.
    Dier is also in the midfield but can help with central defence if need be.

—————

Hart, Pickford, Butland

Trippier, Walker, Gomez, Stones, Maguire, Rose, Bertrand, Young

Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Delph, Lallana, Shelvey, Alli, Sterling, Lingard

Kane, Vardy, Rashford

—————

Something maybe like this...

Pickford
    Walker Stones Gomez
    Trippier Dier Wilshere Rose
    Sterling Alli
    Kane
  • Options
    Sage said:

For me, now Ox is out Shelvey and/or Milner has to be a real option to go. Even with Milner being retired from internationals.
    Delph is a player I like as well and can play in defence if we really need him too.
    Including Ashley Young as he can play left wing back and help in midfield as well if we decide to change formation.

—————

Hart, Pickford, Butland

Kane, Vardy, Rashford

—————

Pickford
    Walker Stones Gomez
    Sterling Alli
    Kane
    I used to agree with Rose, but he isn't playing at all lately. On that alone i would rule him out completely, choice between Young & Bertrand i would go for Young as he has had a good season and secondly he doesn't play for a team lacking confidence and leaking goals for the whole season. Personally would put Rose instead of Berty but needs some game time for me, would be first choice for me normally.
  • Options

Sage said:

—————

Hart, Pickford, Butland

Kane, Vardy, Rashford

—————

Pickford
    Walker Stones Gomez
    Sterling Alli
    Kane
    I used to agree with Rose, but he isn't playing at all lately. On that alone i would rule him out completely, choice between Young & Bertrand i would go for Young as he has had a good season and secondly he doesn't play for a team lacking confidence and leaking goals for the whole season. Personally would put Rose instead of Berty but needs some game time for me, would be first choice for me normally.
    This is my thinking as well, his lack of game time is a real problem going into the tournament. It’s a shame as we should have a good pool of left backs but with what has happened to Rose and Shaw has put that to bed for a while.

If we take Young and Bertrand and not Rose, we could either bring in another attacker such as Welbeck or a centre back like Jones.

Unfortunately there’s not massive of room to play with but it’ll be interesting this summer, more so if we just go in and fight for everything.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Sage said:

—————

Hart, Pickford, Butland

Kane, Vardy, Rashford

—————

Pickford
    Walker Stones Gomez
    Sterling Alli
    Kane
    This is my thinking as well, his lack of game time is a real problem going into the tournament. It’s a shame as we should have a good pool of left backs but with what has happened to Rose and Shaw has put that to bed for a while.

If we take Young and Bertrand and not Rose, we could either bring in another attacker such as Welbeck or a centre back like Jones.

Unfortunately there’s not massive of room to play with but it’ll be interesting this summer, more so if we just go in and fight for everything.
    I cant believe i forgot Jones, i would put him instead of Tarvoski starting. Again in the past i wouldn't but has been playing in 3 at the back and been good. Sub Gomez out of squad again due to lack of game time, although i do think he is there abouts.
  • Options

Liverpool fans on Twitter are is the worst.

• Options

Ashley Young has to go. Been the best English left back this season.

He hasn't though, he's been bang average. The only reason he's got near the team is because Jose doesn't rate Blind and is devoting the current majority of his career to bullying Luke Shaw. Young has been surprisingly good for a washed up winger but he's so far from the standard needed for the England squad. His most recent display of brilliance was somehow getting away with nearly removing Aguero's leg in the penalty area, which should have been a pen and a red. He would get shown up so badly at a World Cup
    agreed, he's only about as good as Cresswell and Baines if that. Bertrand and Rose have certainly earned spots ahead of him.
    Rose?! He's barely played this season.
    earnt a place on England performances though. Of course he needs to be fit. He's certainly more worthy than either Young, Creswell or Baines IMO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Butland, Pickford, Pope
    Walker, Tripper, Rose, Bertrand
    Maguire, Cahill, Stones, Gomez
    Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Milner,
    Sterling, Alli, Lallana, Lingard
    Kane, Welbeck, Vardy, Rashford

It's a weak squad though, players like Lingard shouldn't be in that squad but we have no alternatives.

Lingard has had a great season. He deserves to be in the squad.
    yeah I guess he does, but I still don't rate him at all.
  • Options

Butland, Pickford, Pope
    Walker, Tripper, Rose, Bertrand
    Maguire, Cahill, Stones, Gomez
    Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Milner,
    Sterling, Alli, Lallana, Lingard
    Kane, Welbeck, Vardy, Rashford

It's a weak squad though, players like Lingard shouldn't be in that squad but we have no alternatives.

Disagree Lingard has been class this season, only missed out on start 11 because of Ali is in front of him. Really like him as a player, always finds a way to unlock the defence, makes good runs and a very clever player.
    I personally couldn't disagree more but I do accept he has had a very good year. More than happy to be proven wrong (except when he plays for Utd) but I don't think he's all that.

Certainly don't agree he can unlock a defence and is a clever player. He does score important goals though and will work a lot harder than a lot of the shit we have had recently.
  • Options

First 11:

Butland
    Walker, Stones, Tarkowski
    Trippier - Young
    Henderson - Wilshere
    Sterling/ Kane/ Ali

Other 12,
    Pickford, Pope (if allowed agree 2 would be better)
    Dier, Gomez, Bertrand
    Lallana, Lingard, Loftus Cheek, Lewis Cook
    Rashford, Vardy,Wellbeck (dont rate but seems to do well for England and something different)

Not sure if i have missed any players, but seems a good balance. On paper not the best england side but all can operate with 3 at the back or if we have to change.

I really hope Walker doesn't start at CB, the bloke can't defend!
  • Options
    edited April 2018

First 11:

Butland
    Trippier - Young
    Henderson - Wilshere
    Sterling/ Kane/ Ali

Other 12,
    Dier, Gomez, Bertrand
    Rashford, Vardy,Wellbeck (dont rate but seems to do well for England and something different)

Not sure if i have missed any players, but seems a good balance. On paper not the best england side but all can operate with 3 at the back or if we have to change.

Was our best player in the two frendlies from CB admittedly against sub par attacking sides

Would play him RWB against Germany in the quarters if we make it that far
  • Options

First 11:

Butland
    Trippier - Young
    Henderson - Wilshere
    Sterling/ Kane/ Ali

Other 12,
    Dier, Gomez, Bertrand

I didn't either, but he was useful in the last 2 friendlies and looks like its his spot to lose. Or he can go on the right wing back and someone like Gomez can come in. Lots of options for this current side.

Re: Lingard, agree to disagree there. I felt beginning of the season he was underrated and has shown this season what he is capable. He unlocks defence with clever play similar to Ali, good runs of the ball and passing.

Alot of people like Ali do not like him just because the way he acts/comes across, but on the pitch he is decent. United have struggled as they had to accommodate Sanchez when their best players were Rashford & Lingard so they have been rotated more. I do not like United fwiw, just i watch alot of football and they are always on lol
  • Options

First 11:

Butland
    Trippier - Young
    Henderson - Wilshere
    Sterling/ Kane/ Ali

Other 12,
    Dier, Gomez, Bertrand

I didn't either, but he was useful in the last 2 friendlies and looks like its his spot to lose. Or he can go on the right wing back and someone like Gomez can come in. Lots of options for this current side.

Re: Lingard, agree to disagree there. I felt beginning of the season he was underrated and has shown this season what he is capable. He unlocks defence with clever play similar to Ali, good runs of the ball and passing.

Alot of people like Ali do not like him just because the way he acts/comes across, but on the pitch he is decent. United have struggled as they had to accommodate Sanchez when their best players were Rashford & Lingard so they have been rotated more. I do not like United fwiw, just i watch alot of football and they are always on lol
    Lingard has been class this season, he plays really well in big matches, usually. I always thought of him as a joker who is at Manchester United to fill a quota. However, since Christmas he’s looked very decent.

I would start him over Alli.
  • Options
    Cresswell has been playing more as a left sided CB in a back 3 (or 5) recently, it seems to be fashionable to now play full backs in that position, Azpilicueta has done it brilliantly for Chelsea, and Monreal has also played CB in a 3.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

He hasn't though, he's been bang average. The only reason he's got near the team is because Jose doesn't rate Blind and is devoting the current majority of his career to bullying Luke Shaw. Young has been surprisingly good for a washed up winger but he's so far from the standard needed for the England squad. His most recent display of brilliance was somehow getting away with nearly removing Aguero's leg in the penalty area, which should have been a pen and a red. He would get shown up so badly at a World Cup
    agreed, he's only about as good as Cresswell and Baines if that. Bertrand and Rose have certainly earned spots ahead of him.
    earnt a place on England performances though. Of course he needs to be fit. He's certainly more worthy than either Young, Creswell or Baines IMO
    Hate the idea of this.

A player playing 2 games over the course of a year for England, and not deserving of a place for his club due to attitude, should get in ahead of a player playing well for the 2nd best club in the Premier League.
  • Options
    I don’t believe in taking players because they can play two positions. Otherwise we might as well take Matt Taylor who can play CB or goalkeeper.
  • Options

Hate the idea of this.

A player playing 2 games over the course of a year for England, and not deserving of a place for his club due to attitude, should get in ahead of a player playing well for the 2nd best club in the Premier League.
    not particularly wanting to play for Spurs shouldn't go against him IMO. If Kane requests a transfer should we drop him? I do however understand your point on Young but I just don't think he's a left-back and he's bottled it in big games before. Although I doubt we will get to any "big games" anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southgate rates Gomez. And rightly so.

He suits the 3 at the back system Gareth favours and is useful cover across all 3 roles.

He's been unlucky/not given the chance at Liverpool. His only games at centre back have been when they were a liability at the back and couldn't defend for toffee. He hasn't been given a chance alongside VVD. Of they did that I think they'd see his class.
  • Options

Cant believe that some people relate Oxlade-Chamberlain to creativity !

You watched Liverpool play this year?
    Must admit....no I havnt.
    So that must mean he has been playing well then.
    Yeah mate. Since moving to Liverpool and playing CM regularly he's been brilliant and consistent. Creative and exciting.
  • Options

First 11:

Butland
    Trippier - Young
    Henderson - Wilshere
    Sterling/ Kane/ Ali

Other 12,
    Dier, Gomez, Bertrand

very valid point about Walker, but I wouldn't trust him against a decent striker.

And yeah happy to disagree on Lingard, all about opinions. I would take him aswell but don't rate him. Will hold my hands that he has begun to prove me wrong a little, but I just don't think he will strike fear into any decent side.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

SDAddick said:

jamescafc said:

I’d be tempted to pick a target man like Carroll as a plan B to come off the bench for last 15 mins if game not going to plan

The problem with taking Carroll as a plan B is you immediately need a plan C when part of his anatomy explodes 30 seconds after he comes on the pitch
    But what a 30 seconds. Woof.
    Oh yeah, him going up for a towering header, ponytail floating in the wind, sun glinting off his cheekbones. Him getting a foul called on him for the jump because he led with his elbow into the defenders eye socket. Him coming down to earth and his hamstring snapping in 14 places. What a day it would be!
    People complain about boring boring England but they're not willing to take a pint (this was meant to be punt, but something tells me Andy Carroll can take a pint or two as well) on a man made of steal and balsa wood simultaneously who is proper fucking mental. I don't get it!
  • Options
    If Wilshire stays fit he has to go to the world cup.

Best centre midfielder we have. Dominating against Atletico Madrid.
  • Options
    Yeah that goal shows you why Wilshere should be starting for us
  • Options

They had 10 men on he pitch.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

They had 10 men on he pitch.
    So what?

Atletico have the most organised defensive players in Europe, they keep clean sheets in 60% of their games. Losing 1 player will make little difference to their defensive shape.

It'll be exactly what England will face against Tunisia and Panama.

And the whole sideways passing jibe is pony, he regularly switches play and the goes to get the ball again to try and pull defensive players out of position. Its what Xavi and Iniesta did for years.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I was there last night and Wilshere only went sideways, along with Xhaka. Ozil the only player with bite who can turn a man and pick a forward pass.