Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Forster-Caskey (ed. Signs a new contract extension to 2021)

Comments

• Options
    Again, why we signed him for a year to sit and have a laugh with the medical team Ill never know. 

Good lad, yes, but this is his 2nd ACL now. In what way will he benefit Charlton? 
  • Options
    edited February 2022

• Options
    Terrible for him that he's had 2 serious knee injuries, but what's made it worse is how long they've affected him for

It wasn't just the 2018/19 season that was wrecked but also the 2019/20 one when he really struggled to get back to full fitness, and kept picking up other injuries
  • Options
    Still only 27 and a class player in League 1; I hope he’s going to be around for a couple more years at least.
    Class in L1, good option in Champ. 
  • Options
    I definitely think he's been missed. Last season he was generally full of energy and got about the pitch really well. Unlike the current set of midfielders, he has the knack of a few goals too. 

But it will be hard for him to get going again after a second long spell out. 
  • Options
    I don’t think giving him a new deal was a bad idea.  He won POTY, had managed to recover from the injury previously and we had a lot of rebuilding to do last summer.  I’ve never really rated him, but could see the reasons for giving him another contract and he’s a decent professional.  It will be interesting to see how they tackle any offer of a new deal in the summer.  I reckon if he’s fit, Jackson might want to try 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    I don’t think giving him a new deal was a bad idea.  He won POTY, had managed to recover from the injury previously and we had a lot of rebuilding to do last summer.  I’ve never really rated him, but could see the reasons for giving him another contract and he’s a decent professional.  It will be interesting to see how they tackle any offer of a new deal in the summer.  I reckon if he’s fit, Jackson might want to try 
    There is an option, which is why it took longer than it should have done, I assume its up to us as in a yes or no.  An option that triggered after x number of games would have been worthless.

100% expect him to be here next season. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    There is an option, which is why it took longer than it should have done, I assume its up to us as in a yes or no.  An option that triggered after x number of games would have been worthless.

I agree.  I can’t see the point of having given him the one year deal, unfortunately for him and the club, not to have recovered in time, only then for us to break ties.  As much as it was the right thing to do to offer him a deal, the club will also want to see that repaid by having him play for us again (I would imagine).

As for whether or not I think he’s good enough to be part of a promotion winning team, I’ll save that for next season and give him a chance to show us what he can do 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

I agree.  I can’t see the point of having given him the one year deal, unfortunately for him and the club, not to have recovered in time, only then for us to break ties.  As much as it was the right thing to do to offer him a deal, the club will also want to see that repaid by having him play for us again (I would imagine).

As for whether or not I think he’s good enough to be part of a promotion winning team, I’ll save that for next season and give him a chance to show us what he can do 
    He has been our best player, or one of, the 2 full seasons he has played for us and we finished 6th and 7th. 

If he is as good as he was then and is our worst first team player I would be pretty confident of top 2.  He is certainly better than Lapslie, Marshall, Reeves and Morgan who were all part of our last promotion winning squad. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

He has been our best player, or one of, the 2 full seasons he has played for us and we finished 6th and 7th. 

If he is as good as he was then and is our worst first team player I would be pretty confident of top 2.  He is certainly better than Lapslie, Marshall, Reeves and Morgan who were all part of our last promotion winning squad. 
    He could still be our best player this season given the competition 😆
  • Options
    If he returns to the form and fitness he had before the injury, then he'll be a key part of our midfield next season, and easily good enough. If nothing else the next few months should show the club whether this is likely.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

Well he is getting my vote for POTY.... 
  • Options
    According to the OS the U23s next three fixtures are:

Friday, March 4th: Peterborough United v Charlton 1pm (PLC) - Weston Homes Stadium

Monday, March 7th: Charlton v Ipswich Town 1pm - The Valley

Tuesday, March 15th: Watford v Charlton 1pm

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jake Forster-Caskey played 45 minutes
  • Options
    They been watching the first team?
  • Options
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6233015e63dc1/forster-caskey-i-couldnt-be-happier-right-now

“I will be playing one more U23s game then I’m available for selection,” he explained.
  • Options
    Cool - not managed to find the goal. 

This might give the midfield a nice nudge.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Sage said:
    Due to play at least an hour against Peterborough next week Tuesday.

Great to have him back and he should then be available to the first team squad from 26th onwards. He’ll get a new deal, Jackson really likes him and he does have something that we have been missing.

Add a couple of attacking midfielders in the summer who score/contribute to goals and a midfield of Dobson, Forster-Caskey, Gilbey, Fraser, and 2 others plus Morgan should be very strong as long as the two others are top players for this league. 
    We’re playing a 7 man midfield? Bold formation 😉.

Be interesting to see what a midfield 3 of Dobson, Fraser and Forster-Caskey could do. Plenty of technical and passing ability amongst those three. Would we actually be able to capitalise upon it though?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

Imagine if he could tackle like Dobbo. 
    (He can’t unfortunately). Would be good to have him up and running for next season, but after two such serious injuries it’ll be a challenge.