Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Forster-Caskey (ed. Signs a new contract extension to 2021)

Comments

• Options
    Big fan of JFC at this level think he’s an excellent player. Should get about 8 matches to show everyone at Charlton why he’s important part of squad for next season
  • Options
    The audio sounds like it’s taken from a kids match on Clapham Common. 
  • Options
    Season's over, I almost hope he doesn't see much more than the odd minute here and there. We've got a storied history of breaking footballers, don't want to see us push him too much and have him break down again. Hopefully he'll sign on for next season and we can build him up for then
  • Options
    Season's over, I almost hope he doesn't see much more than the odd minute here and there. We've got a storied history of breaking footballers, don't want to see us push him too much and have him break down again. Hopefully he'll sign on for next season and we can build him up for then
    Agree.  Phased appearances.  The guy’s already recovered from this once.  Has probably had to work that much harder this time round no doubt.  Would be a disaster if he had a set back all for the sake of us beating Shrewsbury in a meaningless fixture 
  • Options
    Don't we have the option to keep him on for another year, so it's a case of him proving his fitness to us?
  • Options
    Don't we have the option to keep him on for another year, so it's a case of him proving his fitness to us?
    Yes
  • Options
    Took me  a while to warm to JFC but he was our best player last season prior to his injury. 

Don't think any midfielder will prosper in this current dysfunctional set up. Dobson guards the defence leaving two players hopelessly outnumbered and overwhelmed to cover half the pitch. Sometimes against a five man midfield.

It has been obvious for at least ten games but nothing changes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I actually think a midfield 3 of Dobson, JFC and Fraser would work really well. JFC is similar to Gilbey in that he has a great engine, but JFC just has so much more technical ability, which our midfield was lacking a lot of until Fraser came in.
    I agree, I think that we should give that trio a go and see how it goes. With Dobson at the base and Fraser left to pick passes, JFC has a skill set that could work really well a bridge between them where Gilbey has the athleticism for the job but seems to come up short on the technical issues.

It would definitely leave us vulnerable out wide though so that is an area that would need addressing. 
  • Options
    funny because I disagree. Need to see him eased in but then a run of say five games at the end to prove himself. Can't offer new deals to those who we can't rely on fitness wise.
    I do agree that we need some comfort that he will be able to return to the same level he had before his injury
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    funny because I disagree. Need to see him eased in but then a run of say five games at the end to prove himself. Can't offer new deals to those who we can't rely on fitness wise.
    Have to agree, it’s even more important with the squad cap in place. We need to be careful we don’t sign up too many with risks around their fitness - there are arguments for keeping both Inniss (I disagree on him) and JFC, but when you add in Aneke and potentially others that’s a lot of players who can’t play 90 minutes twice a week (hopefully not an issue for JFC in time).
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Have to agree, it’s even more important with the squad cap in place. We need to be careful we don’t sign up too many with risks around their fitness - there are arguments for keeping both Inniss (I disagree on him) and JFC, but when you add in Aneke and potentially others that’s a lot of players who can’t play 90 minutes twice a week (hopefully not an issue for JFC in time).
    JFC is probably in the rare position where its legitimately tricky to work out whether he's just had a LOT of bad luck with the severity/timing of injuries or whether he's becoming more generally injury prone (a la Inniss.)

He's good enough at his best that I personally would see him given another chance but as its not just him but the likes of Aneke and Inniss as well suddenly its a different story. A "spine" of a (fully fit) Inniss - JFC - Aneke would be a strong basis of a team, but how often would you actually have all 3 available at once?

Big decisions to be made I think. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    JFC's league appearances for CAFC:

20/21: 34
    19/20: 11
    18/19: 3
    18/17: 41
    16/17: 15

Average of 17 games per season.

(Not including this season. If he played all remaining 8 games then his average would be 16 games per season.)
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Can’t count 16/17, he signed halfway through.
    Cheers, didn't realise that. 

In that case the average (including 8 games this season) is 19.4. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Not sure what you mean @Sage? I posted those appearances without comment just to give an idea of how much football he plays vs being injured. If he got injured and didn't play... Well that's the purpose of the stats. To show that very thing.

I advocated for giving him a new contract and I like him as a player. 
  • Options
    The thing that concerns me, is that after his injury at the start of 18/19, it not only affected that season but the following season 19/20 as well, as his body struggled to cope with regular football again. 4 appearances in October, then another injury and fitness issues which kept him out more or less until June after lockdown.

Hence he really needs to be eased back really gently, before a good pre season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Fair enough mate. I think he is probably our best 'general' midfielder and we're a better team with him in it when he's fit. I was quite surprised by those stats.

I just wonder to what extent his injuries are bad luck and not a propensity for injuries.  If you've done your ACL 2/3 times, do you not have a weakness there? 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Chunes said:
    Not sure what you mean @Sage? I posted those appearances without comment just to give an idea of how much football he plays vs being injured. If he got injured and didn't play... Well that's the purpose of the stats. To show that very thing.

I advocated for giving him a new contract and I like him as a player. 

He played only 11 times in the Championship, granted, but it took a while for him to really find his feet again after a horrible injury. If we were in League One that season, I would anticipate he likely plays more.

In reality 2019/20 in the Championship was also a virtual write-off, with 7 starts spread right across the season

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jake-forster-caskey/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/148151/plus/0?saison=2019&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Fair enough mate. I think he is probably our best 'general' midfielder and we're a better team with him in it when he's fit. I was quite surprised by those stats.

I just wonder to what extent his injuries are bad luck and not a propensity for injuries.  If you've done your ACL 2/3 times, do you not have a weakness there? 
    Until the initial ACL, he never had done anything like that so unfortunately was a freak injury that has meant he missed a whole season of his career.

This one is his opposite knee so nothing to do with the original ACL.

He may always have a little bit of weakness but you make up for it by ensuring the structures around his ACL are even stronger.

Completely agree he’s our best midfielder when fit and available too. Excellent player at this level especially.
  • Options
    I think he scores different types of goals. He can score from a free kick for example, something I don’t think anyone in our current team can do.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I think he scores different types of goals. He can score from a free kick for example, something I don’t think anyone in our current team can do.
    Fraser is a possibility there, but I take the point. Certainly I would think that Jackson of all coaches would be wanting a proper goal scorer arriving late from the midfield, and JFC certainly has the ability to do that in a suitable system.