Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Forster-Caskey (ed. Signs a new contract extension to 2021)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Chunes said:
    Fair enough mate. I think he is probably our best 'general' midfielder and we're a better team with him in it when he's fit. I was quite surprised by those stats.

I just wonder to what extent his injuries are bad luck and not a propensity for injuries.  If you've done your ACL 2/3 times, do you not have a weakness there? 
    If you did it 3 times you would because you would have to do the same one twice.  Doing both of them is probably more bad luck than anything else.

Also his championship injury was probably compounded because he had to play 90 minutes Saturday Tuesday Saturday before he was ready because everyone else was injured. He wasn't the only one. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    The big difference between JFC and the rest of our current midfielders is that he scores goals.
    13 so far in 111 appearances. So about the same rate as Gilbey (6 in 58).

I like him and rate him highly but let's not get carried away here. 
    JFC has had a couple of pens aswell which inflates the figrues slightly
  • Options
    That's really the root of the problem, for a player to have suffered several such severe injuries in a short period is either incredibly unlucky or they are unfortunately quite fragile (relatively speaking.)

There's a decent chance that once he's fit again that will be it and beyond the odd sprain or twisted ankle that all players sometimes get he'll be back to playing regularly, but it's also possible that he will be forever more nearly but not quite fit due to managing his injuries and fitness and never getting fully recovered.

Not his fault at all and if it was just him he'd probably get the contract because he's good enough to take the chance on. But unfortunately for him (and us) Inniss and Aneke are also in the same boat. 
  • Options
    I agree with the sentiments but I think for the quality we know he has he's worth the risk for at least another season or 2 on a contract. Probably 1 season + optional extension.

This season has 8 games left so he's not going to get a lot of game time during this season, so he should get a full pre-season with us to get fully up to speed before playing lots of game time, which should hopefully protect him and give him to build his durability, and enable him to properly sharp for the new season.
  • Options
    We could field a pretty good team based on our disabled, geriatric and injured.  
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I think he scores different types of goals. He can score from a free kick for example, something I don’t think anyone in our current team can do.
    He scores one type of goal: inexplicably terrible ones. I don't think I've ever seen a JFC goal that wasn't an absolute travesty of goalkeeping and physics. I love when he scores because you then get to unpick how the hell anyone allowed it to happen each time.
  • Options
    I went and found this to challenge you, but no... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO-zugsjoD0
  • Options
    He is even an option as LWB, played there against Fulham and was excellent. One of his best qualities is his delivery, which is wasted a little in central midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If he could stay fit he would be perfect with Dobbo as a pair. Unfortunately I don’t see us being that lucky with him 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    The big difference between JFC and the rest of our current midfielders is that he scores goals.
    13 so far in 111 appearances. So about the same rate as Gilbey (6 in 58).

I like him and rate him highly but let's not get carried away here. 
    JFC has had a couple of pens aswell which inflates the figrues slightly
    Rather JFC taking pens than Stockley tbh
  • Options
    As long as we don't target other injury prone dross then a squad carrying him and Aneke would be fine. Need to move on the others like Innis, Matthews and Pearce though.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

And those are the better ones! His goals were atrocious last season. The free kick against Wigan that the keeper collapsed over, the goal against Wimbledon that was an assist by the keeper, the one against Rochdale that the defender deflected over the keeper, the weird header against Plymouth that the defender handballed in. All of it awful.
  • Options
    All pitted against the Gilbey one against Sunderland where his attempt at a shot was so bad it ended up being a through-ball to himself 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

And those are the better ones! His goals were atrocious last season. The free kick against Wigan that the keeper collapsed over, the goal against Wimbledon that was an assist by the keeper, the one against Rochdale that the defender deflected over the keeper, the weird header against Plymouth that the defender handballed in. All of it awful.
    They all hit the back of the net though, that's all that matters 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Dazzler21 said:

They all hit the back of the net though, that's all that matters 
    Atrocious and awful goals!!!!! Beggars can't be choosers tbf...and a fit JFC is streets ahead of our current midfielders in his all round game IMHO. Just hope he can get fit.
  • Options
    To be fair, I see a lot of really top quality deliveries in that video, and the second goal is a fantastic finish out of the keepers reach.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I think he scores different types of goals. He can score from a free kick for example, something I don’t think anyone in our current team can do.
    He scores one type of goal: inexplicably terrible ones. I don't think I've ever seen a JFC goal that wasn't an absolute travesty of goalkeeping and physics. I love when he scores because you then get to unpick how the hell anyone allowed it to happen each time.
    The third one in his hat trick at The Valley was a curler into the top corner IMSC. Great goal. 
    I don’t think it was a cross. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Perfect game for a come back from a long term injury as it was 10 v 10 and players were tiring; this gave him the space he would need at this stage of his recovery 

And he shone

Nice!
  • Options
    A lovely composed performance.
    He got the ball and seemed to have so much time, before threading through a decent pass.
    Class players always seem to have time.
    Agree albeit 10 v 10 was a factor in that.

He was class above and Clare, Dobson, JFC is our best central midfield. 
  • Options
    Even after so long out he looked a notch or two above anything else in the team. The thing is, even if he’d been fit in 18/19, he wouldn’t have started many games in Bowyer’s midfield and that is the kind of standard we are trying to reach.

Maybe JFC has improved since then, but it says a lot about the rest of the team and how far we have to go. 
  • Options
    Even after so long out he looked a notch or two above anything else in the team. The thing is, even if he’d been fit in 18/19, he wouldn’t have started many games in Bowyer’s midfield and that is the kind of standard we are trying to reach.

Maybe JFC has improved since then, but it says a lot about the rest of the team and how far we have to go. 
    Bet we wouldnt have brought Cullen or Bielik in had JFC been fit that year
  • Options

Big slice of luck that both of them turned out to be better than him.

Agree that there was a noticeable difference after he entered the game. A couple of really lovely passes into dangerous areas.

If he’s up to a start after getting half hour today, I think it would be worthwhile trying him together with Dobson and Lee/Morgan for the Wimbledon game. Fraser needs a rest and Gilbey suspended.
  • Options

Big slice of luck that both of them turned out to be better than him.

Agree that there was a noticeable difference after he entered the game. A couple of really lovely passes into dangerous areas.

If he’s up to a start after getting half hour today, I think it would be worthwhile trying him together with Dobson and Lee/Morgan for the Wimbledon game. Fraser needs a rest and Gilbey suspended.
    I'd rather keep him on the bench. Not that he isn't good enough to start, but rather I don't him to pick up a muscle injury that would rule him out for the rest of the season
  • Options

I think this is a myth, often repeated but that doesn't make it true.   We played 4 central midfielders, we didn't have 4 better than him.  Reeves, Ward, Marshall, Lapslie, Morgan even Pratley played loads of games in that midfield.  JFC is a significantly better player than all of them were then.

We probably wouldn't have signed one of Bielik or Cullen if he was fit but those 2, JFC and Aribo would have been the best midfield in the divison, by a distance. 
  • Options
    Maybe he’d have played left side of the diamond with Aribo pushed forward, but he wasn’t going to dislodge Aribo, Cullen, or Bielik. Either way, he was, at best, 4th best midfielder at the club that season, one where we had to take the playoff route (albeit that side was probably good enough to win automatic promotion most seasons). 

Anyway, that isn’t the point I was trying to make. JFC is a good player and I’m not seeking to diminish that. My point is that his cameo yesterday only went to further highlight how far off the required standard most of the rest are because, if we are going to get automatic promotion next season (which is the stated aim however far fetched it might seem right now), we are going to need to sign players not only as good as JFC, but probably some who are better than him too.