Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Having seen both games against them at The Valley, I do think Shrewsbury are the stronger side and look more comfortable on the ball. That's not to say we can't turn it around in the second leg.

I understand they are trying to make things happen but I lost count of the times our guys had an opportunity to offload the ball with a simple pass but lost it by trying to take on one too many.
  • Options

Don’t half feel tonight that a lot of our fans like to slag off our players.

Personally think they’re an honest bunch who’ve put a good shift in in recent months and deserve a bit more respect / support. Some of the criticism seems well OTT to me

I don't normally slag players off at all, but Reeves was frustrating tonite there a good player in there somewhere! We need his MK form to come back for Sunday now! Also have to play Marshall over Stephy
  • Options
    uie2 said:

Don’t half feel tonight that a lot of our fans like to slag off our players.

Personally think they’re an honest bunch who’ve put a good shift in in recent months and deserve a bit more respect / support. Some of the criticism seems well OTT to me

I don't normally slag players off at all, but Reeves was frustrating tonite there a good player in there somewhere! We need his MK form to come back for Sunday now! Also have to play Marshall over Stephy
    Exactly. Not a Reeves game at all especially in that formation.

A complete waste of a shirt
  • Options

The desire was there @paulie8290 do you think the players didn't want to win the game? We just got schooled by their tactics.

Your narrative about Da Silva being poor is so strange. I think some of your posts are bang on and insightfull but he was head and shoulders above any other player on the pitch tonight.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

The desire was there @paulie8290 do you think the players didn't want to win the game? We just got schooled by their tactics.

Your narrative about Da Silva being poor is so strange. I think some of your posts are bang on and insightfull but he was head and shoulders above any other player on the pitch tonight.
    I'm trying not to push it too hard because I'll start to sound like a broken record but I get sucked in when I see him getting so much praise for what was a pretty poor performance. He lost the ball numerous times and was the cause of Shrewsbury getting behind our back line on a couple of occasions to my memory.

I am not doubting his technical skills with the ball. He's a fantastic dribbler and he has good pace. With all that said, he's a left back and his first job is to stop the opposition but he's just not very good at defending. I see his future being further up the pitch, maybe as a winger.
  • Options
    The alarm went off at 1:30 am. I'd bought a card which would hopefully enable me to access Sky. But I'd been in such a deep sleep and really didn't want to move instead of getting up I rolled over and went back to sleep, eventually waking at my normal time.

And I mean a deep sleep. I usually stir every few minute when there's a game on, checking the score before trying to sleep again. None of this. I didn't know the score until I checked this morning. I've read the post match reports. I was surprised Marshall didn't play as he's been good for the past few games. whereas Mavididi hasn't looked the same player since his injury.

It sounds as though changes will be needed for the away leg. Bowyer will make the right decisions.

The three game sequence under Bowyer continues, though: WWW - DLL - WWW - LL?

That sequence needs to be broken on Sunday, and I will be watching this one.

• Options
    Thought we were dire in the middle. Aside from the first 20 mins they won all the second balls and we were sloppy with our passing. Nervous and cagey performance. Reeves and Mavididi really struggled. Only solace I am taking is that we know exactly what we need to do on Sunday now. I suspect they will set up with a view to defend the lead and try and knick a goal on the break so could invite pressure and allow us to dictate play a bit more. Our movement and decision making needs to be much much better to have any hope of making it to Wembley.
  • Options
    Beaten by a better side who seemed more organised. Reeves and Mav contributed little and we were pretty toothless.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018
    The tie is far from over but nobody can argue that they are not in the box seat. They deployed exactly the same tactics as others have successfully done at the Valley and they did themselves earlier in the season - and it worked. They were less dominant than they were then though and relied on a wonder goal for the win, but given they were the away side, it was a deserved win. It is almost certain that now they have their noses in front they will try to do exactly the same in the second leg.

So what does Bowyer do? Given they are likely, almost certain, to play the same way and he knew they would play that way yesterday! He quickly needs to work out what went wrong. Our tactics to address this was to get the ball forward quickly, but the quality of the rushed ball was variable and their defence coped comfortably so we need another plan. Well for me, we mostly lost that battle in midfield. It isn't to say the midfielders weren't trying their hardest but they were being pressed and the physicality and athleticism of the Shrews players meant we lost most loose balls, most 50/50 balls and even some 40/60 balls. Also, not that he wasn't trying but Magennis won a lot of headers and Ajose just wasn't capitalising or getting behind them. This was due to defensive numbers I think.

So Bowyer needs to get a bit more bite in the middle. I think that should mean putting Konsa in there for Kashi. Of course that leaves us without a right back, but I think given the situation, this is where Marshall could be risked there, and he could give us a bit more offensively than Konsa can from the right. Then we have to look where the goals may come from. Whilst he didn't have a great game yesterday, I'd play Mav for Ajose and start Fosu. I'd want them to swap throught the game and pair up and overload the shrews defence. I didn't feel they looked comfortable when Fosu had the ball but we didn't get the ball to him enough. If we set up like that, it asks different questions and there are further attacking options to make if we become more desperate.

It is only one goal and we still have a decent chance:).
  • Options
    Shrewsbury came with a game plan and executed it perfectly Fairplay but it is not over yet.

Obviously the next goal is massive IF we do get it I think they will fold under the pressure.

Bring on Sunday!
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Sorry Jay, we look better playing Page.
    Marshall must start. Mavididi for Ajose.
    Aribo to start.

Shrewsbury have a physically stronger squad and just about deserved the win, although their time wasting was embarrassing. It started in the first half ffs.

I thought we'd equalised in the last minute with the point blank header that hit one of their players and bounced out. Was that Zyro's header?

Are you serious??? DaSilva got targeted in the air but with the ball he was by far our best player
    Page is a better defender. Dasilva is very good with the ball at his feet going forward and plays neat triangles, but by his standards was poor defensively yesterday. Play him further forward.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    But he wasn't to blame for the goal and Page is injured. And overall he had a good game - if we are going to beat them, we need offensive full backs!
  • Options
    If we nick a goal at their place is it extra time then pens?
  • Options
    yes - I hope we can win it without pens - I don't fancy us winning a shoot out!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Midfield was poor, Bowyer must be hopping mad, he put a lot of faith in Reeves and Mav, and they were very poor, we kept giving the ball away, and weren’t creative enough.

Credit to Shrewsbury, they roughed us up and scored a wonder goal, we looked like a team that were happy to make the playoffs, but weren’t good enough or believed that they could actually win them, thought the team looked limited, and out on their legs at the end of the game.

Shrewsbury whilst not good to watch, had a bit of know how, and looked like a team that had been up their all season, whereas we looked like a team who had just scraped into the players.

Some of the players froze on the night, and let the occasion get to them.

Bowyer looked gutted st the end, and he’s got a massive job picking the players up for Sunday.

We need a cunning plan for the return fixture, it’s not over yet, but it’s going to be blooming tough, COYR!!
  • Options
    didn't respect them enough far too confident before the game both on here and other charlton social media outlets, there 3rd in the league for a reason and they have won a lot of games 1-0 the only plus is we have nothing to lose so will have to go at it from the off.

they had 4 shots on target we had 3 so all this nonesense about them having 1 shot on goal and that's it is bs, in my personal opinion we needed to win at home to progress as we had the 12th man in the crowd etc.
  • Options
    I disagree with that. In some ways it will be easier away. Having a narrow lead from the first leg can put doubt in players heads on how best to play - we need to address the issues though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018
    @MuttleyCAFC so your saying its better to be 1 down then 1 up?

my big fear is goals apart from relegated Northampton and mk dons we have hardly been rampant, if shrewsbury can defend like last night they can repeat it.
  • Options
    Shrewsbury deserve respect for being a very organised, disciplined team hardest working team in the league.

They have that lower league physical mentality, which we tried to match by going direct and we lost the battle.

They didn't give us time and space to play and our players struggled to adapt and panicked by rushing the ball forward, it didn't help with poor decision making especially from our wide players Mavididi tried to run every time needs to know when and where, Reeves offered little width wanted to be a no10 and always played into trouble.

The defence and Amos were solid, Dasilva the most composed with his touch and when to play out, Kashi put in a real shift pressing and covering, sliding and screening.
  • Options
    No, but it isn't the end of the world and we have to take the positives rather than give up - we are still in the tie and they will be under pressure.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Forgot to add Marshall and Fosu need to start on Sunday, which is stating the bleeding obvious.
  • Options

But he wasn't to blame for the goal and Page is injured. And overall he had a good game - if we are going to beat them, we need offensive full backs!

We haven't had an offensive right back all season, and might have done better with one. Page and Dasilva are both good left backs, happy to play either, with a slight preference for Page because he's stronger.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Shrewsbury are a big, strong physical (but fair), fit team who can control and pass the ball above average for the league. We do have more ability but find it hard to utilise this when we are being pressed and bullied. The key to Sunday is solving that problem. We are going to have to rely on a lot of luck if we create 2 to 3 decent chances, which is what Shrewsbury will try to limit us to, playing the same way, I suspect. So something will have to change, but we do have the advantage of being able to analyse yesterday's match, work out where we lost it and what we have to do differently playing against the same opponents within a very short space of time.

Shrewsbury have their limitations and we just have to find the game to expose them. When we beat them at their place a few weeks ago, they were not taking it easy - they were fighting for an automatic place even though they were not favourites for it. In the second half we did a job on them. But they had to beat us in that game - we need to get that goal and we will be in the box seat!
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2018
    The midfield was out muscled & overrun. Too often a Shrewsbury player was able to run through from their half to just outside the penalty area. They had far too much unopposed possession in & around the penalty area.

I really like Lee Bowyer as a manager. He keeps things clear, simple & has good focus on what’s important. He has a lot of credit for turning the team into a competitive unit. I thought he got set up & personnel wrong yesterday.

The Shrewsbury defence can be turned on their heels & Charlton managed that early on. It really needed one of the early chances to go in & it might have been a different game.

The midfield falling apart should have been addressed earlier. Reeves was at all sea & looked extremely light weight. Shrewsbury pressed well.

Not quite so comprehensively outplayed as the first Shrewsbury Valley match but Shrewsbury fully deserved their win.

Really hoping that the Charlton team that surprises you, by winning when you least expect it, is the one that turns up on Sunday.
  • Options

Shrewsbury were already safe in the play-offs when we beat them at their place. Not sure that game should be used as any yardstick. Can see a 0-0 up there as we have such little goal threat.

True but they still had hopes of automatic promotion so it's hardly as if they rolled over.

We can easily go there and get a win, just need every man to play well, can't afford anyone to be off their game.
  • Options
    I think we should play Kashi at Shrewsbury.

Anyone know where I can get a tattoo removed?