Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Apart from the opening spell, JFK was off his game and sat too deep. Mav was knocked off the ball too easily and hasn't looked the same since his injury. It was a tight game but we don't really do 0-0s and always seem to concede.

Fosu will start on Sunday instead of Mav and maybe Marshall instead of Reeves.

It's football....strange things happen. We're not out of it.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    The difference on the night was that Reeves' shot went over the bar and theirs went under it. It was a tight close game that they shaded, but we lost it and we are going to have to create more on Sunday now as a result. Bowyer needs as much expertise as possible in the analysis room this morning. I'd get Peacock and Euell in there and encourage an exchange of thoughts and ideas for Sunday. We know how they will play, we know their strengths and yes, their weaknesses. I spotted some defensive elements we could capitalise on.

Whilst they handled them yesterday, I don't think they are 100% safe on set pieces and I think they panicked when Fosu had the ball. Magennis won a lot of headers too!
  • Options
    lets see how they handle the pressure on Sunday now, they have something to hold onto now can see them being a bit nervy and not sure how to play it.

COYR.
  • Options
    And double posting I attached the image and inserted it once.
  • Options
    First half we needed a break, could have scored two, but the luxury of malividi was wasteful he was determined to impress and carry the ball but delivered nothing.

2nd half to me the problem was midfield Kashi sat to deep yet again, JFC gets drawn to him, Reeves has a negative tendencies at the best of times As a result we conceded midfield when they stepped up 10 yards 2nd half.

Hopefully we give can Aribo, Marshall and Fosu starts Sunday in place of Kashi, Reeves and Malvidi.

Thought the crowd did everything it could.

Not dead still hopefull

PS Feck off fast Deuchbag your time is up!

COYR!
  • Options
    I think if we play Marshall at right back, they might decide they have to target him. That might open them up a bit, but importantly he would have to be up to it defensively. I think he is from what I have seen of him.
  • Options
    We were second best after the first 15 minutes. They were quicker and stronger and were the better team on the night.
    They finished 16 points ahead of us for a reason.
    We have to go for it on Sunday but I don't think we have enough quality to break them down. Lets face it we got lucky there last time
  • Options
    Watched via a very intermittent feed here in Canakkale whilst skyping my son, he was really down when they scored, here the town was full of angry Fenerbache supporters who also lost last night. I think we a re think on how we were set up last night we are still very much in this tie so lets see what sunday brings. Long journey home today but looking forward to the 2nd leg.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Sorry Jay, we look better playing Page.
    Marshall must start. Mavididi for Ajose.
    Aribo to start.

Shrewsbury have a physically stronger squad and just about deserved the win, although their time wasting was embarrassing. It started in the first half ffs.

I thought we'd equalised in the last minute with the point blank header that hit one of their players and bounced out. Was that Zyro's header?

Are you serious??? DaSilva got targeted in the air but with the ball he was by far our best player
    Page is a better defender. Dasilva is very good with the ball at his feet going forward and plays neat triangles, but by his standards was poor defensively yesterday. Play him further forward.

^^^^^ this all day long
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have read a few comments last night so not PWR

To start with; to say that they played without desire last night is an absolutely joke - the way the word gets thrown about these days, it seems that players only have desire if we manage to actually win the game... From the first whistle, the players were clearly up for the match - Should have been 2-0 up inside 10mins and said just after the Magennis header (once I'd put my glasses back on after somehow knocking them off and catching them in one fluid motion) that we'd be made to rue those errors.

From then on; Shrewsbury contained us and limited us in their final third... Match became end to end and quickly realised there would be only the one goal in it - Over the course of 90mins I didnt think that Shrewsbury deserved the win, yes they probably edged the last third of the match yet felt a draw was fair.

Neither Goalkeeper was tested enough for my liking, each made an excellent save in the first half yet then for Amos it was a training session of catching practice whilst Henderson simply stared at the ball... I know Bowyer complained about the timewasting yet we've been just as bad over recent weeks and regardless of the team, do think that the refs should be cracking down on it more as I dont pay my ticket to see a dead ball take 5mins to be taken!!

In regards to individual players; felt it was harsh that we didnt see Marshall yet presume he's being rested for the second leg; Magennis won everything that went his way and wouldnt replace him on Sunday - Mavididi though I'd be happy to not see again, too often he ran into blind alleys and didnt release the ball quick enough, he's extremely lazy too and didnt track back often enough for my liking
  • Options

Having seen both games against them at The Valley, I do think Shrewsbury are the stronger side and look more comfortable on the ball. That's not to say we can't turn it around in the second leg.

I understand they are trying to make things happen but I lost count of the times our guys had an opportunity to offload the ball with a simple pass but lost it by trying to take on one too many.

Happens a lot, poor decision-making. The opposition know who our danger players are and double up on them; but they don't help themselves by holding onto the ball instead of passing.
  • Options
    Second half we should have stuck mavidivi up top, took ajose off and fosu on - when they pushed onto us we didn't have the pace up top to exploit it - Marshall for reeves as well and if seriously consider aribo instead of kashi
  • Options
    Mavididi did and Silva must have gone down the left 14 Times in first half playing the ball to and fro. I think only once from those 14 occasions did a ball end up in their penalty area. Both lads can play but what they did does not win games !

Reeves, was not at the races, sorry for me his contribution is way to low. Josh did his job and won everything, but all to no avail, Ajose, put in a shift, but needs the ball in their penalty area to use his ability (see Mavididi and Silva).

For me only change Sunday is Reeves out. Then tell Silva and Mavididi to get the fecking ball over, not take 20 passes to go fecking nowhere !
  • Options
    To an extent I'm almost glad we're going into the second leg a goal down (anything more would be a disaster)

0-0 would ultimately be the more favourable but we'll go to their place needing a result, that much is obvious so we'll need to attack them from the off and keep attacking - Shrewsbury on the other hand have a bit of a quandry... Do they attack us and try to get the second goal to kill of the tie, or do they defend and try to protect their lead!!
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

Sat on the steps of my hotel in India and FaceTimed to my mum so I could watch the game. We weren’t in it second half. We had poor decision in the final third. Reeves didn’t do much imo. Onto their patch for another crack. imageimageimageimageimage

Where on earth did you get that hideous TV stand ?
  • Options
    Disappointed but the team tried. Shrews were at everything gave us no time or space. Fans were great until they scored. Never thought it would be easy, unlike some who were fantasising about where they will be sitting at Wembley. Still 90 minutes to go though.
  • Options
    Too depressed to read what everyone else has posted... Reeves looked shocking last night, dithers on the ball far too much. Marshall has to play on Sunday, not quite sure why he didn't last night.
  • Options
    Dont think the below has been posted but I quite like Paul Hurst from what I've seen / heard from him against us this season.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/16218648.Shrewsbury_boss____surprised____by_Charlton_caretaker_manager___s_time-wasting_comments/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We didn't stretch them enough. We were far too narrow. Shrewsbury were very good at creating width as soon as they won the ball back. They were just better than us all round last night.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    If the ref is only going to play an additional 4 minutes, it vindicates time wasting. Wrong to criticise Shrewsbury for it when we would and may still do exactly the same. Football has it within its gift to do something about it if it wants to but if it doesn't it is part of the game.
  • Options
    Spanish said:

ozaddick said:

Sat on the steps of my hotel in India and FaceTimed to my mum so I could watch the game. We weren’t in it second half. We had poor decision in the final third. Reeves didn’t do much imo. Onto their patch for another crack. imageimageimageimageimage

Where on earth did you get that hideous TV stand ?
    5 of them as well!!
  • Options
    Total failure to hit the target in a meaningful way. Far too slow getting the ball up to dangerous positions. A friend came along who'd seen Ajose play for Swindon and couldn't understand why we weren't playing to his strength.
  • Options

If the ref is only going to play an additional 4 minutes, it vindicates time wasting. Wrong to criticise Shrewsbury for it when we would and may still do exactly the same. Football has it within its gift to do something about it if it wants to but if it doesn't it is part of the game.

Their goalkeeper was time wasting from the start - think they'd come for a 0-0.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    They came to stop us scoring and take what they got and they succeeded and got something. It was a good goal but fortunate too. They clearly were time wasting, I am just saying we do it too and it is the ref you need to moan at, not them. They came do do a job and they did it. We now need to go there and do a job. Which we can. If we edge in front, I'm sure you will see us time wasting!

If the ref only adds 4 minutes when it should have been closer to 7 with the injury to their keeper and the subs too, you have to make their tactics right!
  • Options

If the ref only adds 4 minutes when it should have been closer to 7 with the injury to their keeper and the subs too, you have to make their tactics right!

I'm honestly not surprised in a way and started having doubts in my mind when only one minute was shown at the end of the First Half despite there being an injury to Nsaila that had to be dealt with

I remember a few times we've been on SKY, there always seems to be less time added than Charlton games not on TV and do wonder if SKY do control the injury time to an extent so that their coverage doesnt over run
  • Options
    Another point I wanted to add... Did anyone else feel as though Shrewsbury over celebrated their win last night?

Full Time whistle was blown the moment they cleared (almost off the line) from our last corner and the players instantly started jumping around and celebrating in front of the fans, almost as though the job was done... Hope that our players thought that themselves and use it as a motivator.
  • Options

I'm honestly not surprised in a way and started having doubts in my mind when only one minute was shown at the end of the First Half despite there being an injury to Nsaila that had to be dealt with

I remember a few times we've been on SKY, there always seems to be less time added than Charlton games not on TV and do wonder if SKY do control the injury time to an extent so that their coverage doesnt over run
    If that is happening, you'd expect someone to have sold the story to the Daily Mirror or given it to The Guardian by now, that's far too big for someone not to leak it.
  • Options
    On to Sunday - start with Fosu-Henry if he's fit and maybe Dijksteel instead of Konsa.