Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Actually surprises me that he could get cramp

Perhaps it was a tactical cramp :smile:

Ronaldo is 8 months OLDER than Wayne Rooney. At one point in their careers at United, they were at a pretty similar level...
  • McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

A humdinger. Not sure the spanish lady next door will recover in a hurry :)

So you've been busy with her and missed the match?
    Any references to diving in the box will be met with scorn
    Did you come from behind?

Ronaldo is 8 months OLDER than Wayne Rooney. At one point in their careers at United, they were at a pretty similar level...
    To make matters worse, I get the feeling Ronaldo could quite easily carry on at least til the Euros if not the next bloody world cup! Rio banged the nail on the head at half time, he is a model professional and all that investment in himself is paying off - you wouldn't say he was a day over 29 watching him play today.
  • The way he has adapted his game over the past couple of years is incredible.

Don't think anyone would be shocked if he kept this level up for years yet.

To make matters worse, I get the feeling Ronaldo could quite easily carry on at least til the Euros if not the next bloody world cup! Rio banged the nail on the head at half time, he is a model professional and all that investment in himself is paying off - you wouldn't say he was a day over 29 watching him play today.
    Especially playing for a country like Portugal, even a Ronaldo at 80% is likely to be better than virtually all of their other players, and his body is remarkably free from injuries too
  • The way he has adapted his game over the past couple of years is incredible.

Don't think anyone would be shocked if he kept this level up for years yet.

What astounds me is he still has astonishing pace - there was one counter attack in the first half when he came steaming down the pitch and outpaced everyone. Just crazy at 33!
  • Such a good game.

Ronaldo will get the headlines (and fair enough), but Isco was absolutely quality.
  • Oh and Nacho's goal was such a great hit.
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sscVuLFah_U

And anyhow don’t worry England fans - we have our own Ronaldo to carry us through...... cometh the hour, cometh the man.
  • Sponsored links:

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sscVuLFah_U

And anyhow don’t worry England fans - we have our own Ronaldo to carry us through...... cometh the hour, cometh the man.

Had to check who posted this.

Thought it come from our tottenham boy @JohnBoyUK
  • Nah - I love the Harry Kane car crash compilations after the Euros. Made me chuckle. Classic England...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VKtuzZJHdyY

Bit of Benny Hill music makes all the difference
  • Apparently Ronaldo has a back injury for the next game after carrying Portugal through the draw against Spain.
  • re: diving

now Ronaldo sort of dived but there was contact so I wont be too critical but other players in this tournament aren't being yellowed for diving. The worst case was the earlier match involving Egypt. in a space of ten minutes 3 separate players blatantly dived. the ref waved play on and gestured that there was no contact. I thought if that's the case the player should get carded?
  • edited June 2018
    Sing along in the stands at the Australian end... some clever Russian knows their classics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
  • Sponsored links:

• People are always complaining about Danny Murphy and a few othe pundits and commentators but I, personally, much prefer listening to them than the token women pundits and commentators that are plaguing this tournament so far. I want to hear only from pundits who have played or managed at this level of football. Why should I be subjected to second rate punditry and commentary just because the TV companies are trying to match gender quotas?

Why does being a woman automatically make it second rate punditry?
  • People are always complaining about Danny Murphy and a few othe pundits and commentators but I, personally, much prefer listening to them than the token women pundits and commentators that are plaguing this tournament so far. I want to hear only from pundits who have played or managed at this level of football. Why should I be subjected to second rate punditry and commentary just because the TV companies are trying to match gender quotas?

The sentence before that quote answers that question.
  • edited June 2018
    JaShea99 said:

People are always complaining about Danny Murphy and a few othe pundits and commentators but I, personally, much prefer listening to them than the token women pundits and commentators that are plaguing this tournament so far. I want to hear only from pundits who have played or managed at this level of football. Why should I be subjected to second rate punditry and commentary just because the TV companies are trying to match gender quotas?

The sentence before that quote answers that question.
    Ok but most (if not all) of the women pundits have also played in World Cups so what's the point?

Because she has never played or managed at this level.
  • edited June 2018
    Australia holding their own against France a bit here... maybe should be ahead as they've had the best chance

Really like their left back
  • edited June 2018
    Is that Alex Scott who's played 140 times for England including in three World Cups?
  • Alex Scott to be fair is actually doing a good job. Aluko less so.
  • Is that Alex Scott who's played 140 times for England including in three World Cups?

I repeat, she has never played or managed at this level.
  • edited June 2018
    Nonsense reasoning with nonsense justification but whatever helps you sleep at night. :-)
  • I don't watch cricket or rugby. Does BBC coverage of these sports always include women commentators and pundits?