Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Should have scored in that break.

One for trivia fans. Just read that if Rafael Marquez plays for Mexico in this tournament he will join an exclusive club of players who have appeared in five World Cups. Can anyone name the three players who have achieved this feat? Two are relatively recent but one is going back to the 50s/60s.

Without Googling but Tim Cahill must have done a few now maybe?
  • Did Buffon play in 1998?
  • Should have scored in that break.

One for trivia fans. Just read that if Rafael Marquez plays for Mexico in this tournament he will join an exclusive club of players who have appeared in five World Cups. Can anyone name the three players who have achieved this feat? Two are relatively recent but one is going back to the 50s/60s.

Think this is Cahill’s 4th
  • edited June 2018

Should have scored in that break.

The article I read says Lothar Matthaus, Buffon and Antonio Carbajal for Mexico. If Italy had qualified for this one Buffon would have had an incredible six World Cups, although I think he was just a squad member in 1998.
  • JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

People are always complaining about Danny Murphy and a few othe pundits and commentators but I, personally, much prefer listening to them than the token women pundits and commentators that are plaguing this tournament so far. I want to hear only from pundits who have played or managed at this level of football. Why should I be subjected to second rate punditry and commentary just because the TV companies are trying to match gender quotas?

Why does being a woman automatically make it second rate punditry?
    The sentence before that quote answers that question.
    Ok but most (if not all) of the women pundits have also played in World Cups so what's the point?
    Because it’s not the same. Should you have 16 year olds on the panel because they’ve played at the U17 World Cup?
    Lol that's a nice strawman argument. Yes it's definitely the same.

140 full international caps and three World Cups but still not good enough because she's female. By your reasoning, no women will ever be allowed give their opinion on the men's game. ( See what I did there? :-) )

It's probably jarring if you grew up with Des Lynam, Alan Hansen and Mark Lawrenson but get used to it because women pundits are here to stay.
    What? Did you reply to the wrong person? I never said women shouldn’t be allowed to give their opinion on the men’s game. I answered your question about why their opinions might be ‘second rate’.
    Might be second rate? The implication of the posts is that women pundits are second rate due to some perceived lack of experience.

But that was more to play you at your own game: "Oh if women are allowed then lets allow the U17s".
    Again, not what I said. You seem to be reading my posts through some sort of filter where you’re desperate for me to say something sexist or racist. Keep trying.
  • Did Buffon play in 1998?

Nope was Pagliuca
  • edited June 2018
    It's right there in the posts (belittling of a woman's achievements at the international level, mainly) but that's ok, it's not an individual thing and I don't intend to point the finger at anyone.
  • I don't watch cricket or rugby. Does BBC coverage of these sports always include women commentators and pundits?

yeah unfortunately. with cricket they've got Alsion Mitchell who is awful imo.
  • That looks a penalty i hate to say
  • Pen deffo
  • Sponsored links:

• We've got drama.
  • Yeh 100% penalty
  • Although he said no penalty played on then decided to VAR
  • Hmmm that other angle though...
  • Dion Dublin must be blind.
  • Correct decision for me.
  • That angle shows contact on the ball. Not a penalty.
  • Whats Lawro talking about.

He caught his back leg and stopped Griezmann getting to the ball
  • Yeah that's a penalty
  • Yes lads.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't watch cricket or rugby. Does BBC coverage of these sports always include women commentators and pundits?

Certainly cricket does, and they are normally very good
  • Whats Lawro talking about.

He caught his back leg and stopped Griezmann getting to the ball

That end contact is irrelevant, the ball had gone by that stage and was with the 'keeper
  • FFS - Dion Dublin almost as annoying as Lawrenson.
  • edited June 2018
    only way france was gonna score. wasn't a penalty for me.
  • Blimey.
  • Ref seems very poor, wasn’t giving that until the players asked
  • Wow. What an idiot.
  • He punched it WTF
  • Lawro is a fucking div, slight contact on the ball doesn't matter if he hasn't actually won the ball, if the trailing leg didn't take out Griezmann he's got a goal.

Umtiti hahahaha what a mug