Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Tunisia

Comments

• Options
    If Russia can influence the US elections etc, it's extremely simple for them to tell the VAR panel to "give" England nothing.
    I definitely think we need an explanation.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Laddick01 said:

100% the ref was told to ignore any contentious decisions by FIFA and or Russia

This will happen to England more than any other team and FIFA will apologise for it when we get knocked out by an offside or goal that should not be allowed

Anyone who thinks we are walking away post Blatter or Salisbury is mental

I'm a firm believer that football is never fixed at this level. Tonight made me question that.
    Im the opposite. I believe football is nearly always fixed at this level. There is far too much money involved. Where there is money there is corruption. We know what fifa are like. Add in Russia and you have the perfect explanation.
  • Options
    Excellent start to the match. Pity that we couldn't convert all those chances. Also a pity that their keeper didn't stay on the pitch, he was cack.

I never watch match of the day etc so perhaps others can comment on why Sterling is even in the squad? He must be able to do it in the Prem? He has so much speed but just about every time he gets the ball, it ends up with the opposition. England had a 90 percent pass completion rate, So just how much did Sterling contribute to the 10 percent?

Maguire frightened the life out of me defensively in the first quarter but he settled down to contribute well.

Trippier was unsurprising choice for mom got to agree with that.

Even when the match was just about over at 1.1 I was disappointed but consoled myself that overall the team performance was good, the ref was shite and we should have had two pens.

Cracking start to the tournament, let's hope that the team can be tweaked a bit to see if we can't progress a little.
  • Options

It’s going to be a real boring performance riddled with miss place passes and shit decision making

We will score late on to save the blushes and stumble along like every other tournament

Scarily accurate!
    Should read me on the takeover thread

8)

I'll have to take your word for that mate. I avoid that thread like the plague!
  • Options
    Our biggest strength is that we look like a team that likes being together. Don’t underestimate that. Curbs and Chris Powell understood that; surprisingly few managers do. This team won’t win it unless we are very lucky but they’ll do their best.
  • Options

Daggs said:

Absolute tripe by a bunch if effeminate snowflakes who have no idea what it means to represent England in the World Cup.
    It will take a near miracle for us to proceed from the group.

Bobby Moore, Ray Wilson, Nobby Stiles, Geoff Hurst etc. Would be embarrassed by the performance of this bunch of posers. They are more suited to the girls' grammar 1st eleven along with their manager.

Harry Kane is exempt from any of my comments.

In 66 England drew their 1st match.
    Likewise Euro 96 and look how very close we come then.
  • Options
    Bizarre comments from Clattenburg over on ITV regarding the VAR calls - apparently there was 23 seconds between the incident and play restarting, apparently now that's not enough time to view all 25 camera angles needed to make a call - sorry Mark but how many angles were required to see that it was a foul and what was to stop the VAR team telling the ref to hold up play for a few more seconds if they didn't see them all in that time, as has happened multiple times already in this tournament? How many seconds did the Sweden penalty call take today? Didn't see that excuse get rolled out about not having enough time there did we.

I need to go to bed i'm getting entirely too het up about all this...
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Expected goals at half time...

England 2.39
    Tunisia 0.10 (+1 penalty)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Expected goals at full time...

England 3.32
    Tunisia 0.15 (+1 penalty)
  • Options

This will happen to England more than any other team and FIFA will apologise for it when we get knocked out by an offside or goal that should not be allowed

The alacrity with which he gave their penalty was ridiculous, I still don't know what it was for? There would be twenty penalties in every game, if a centre back coming into contact with a forward was a penalty.

Like others have said if you don't give penalties for the wrestling with Kane in the box, then you may as well change the rules, and allow 'anything' goes in the penalty area.

Nobody will ever convince me that UEFA and FIFA are a cosy little club, and all of the inner sanctum members get well looked after by offcials.

For example does anybody honestly think that Australia would have been given the penalty that the French got the other night?

No fucking chance.
  • Options

Expected goals at full time...

England 3.32
    Tunisia 0.15 (+1 penalty)

Who expects 3.32 goals and nearly a 5th of a goal for Tunisia? Fox Sports thinking the match has a panel of judges rating the back line, the goal stopper and the offence, awarding points for hoofing it over the bar and taking WWE manoeuvres from their quarter backs.

Think Panama might get half a goal but expect us to get 2.8 and no penalties, the VAR feed buffers at crucial moments everytime the director says 'Boris Johnson'.
  • Options

It’s like Eurovision all over again.....
  • Options
    Would make 2 changes for Panama.

Rose in for Young. I don't think Young gets down the line or overlaps enough. Rose will.

Rashford in for Sterling. If the Germans can leave Sane out for not performing well enough at international level then why do we need to keep playing Sterling? 2 goals in 39 caps isn't good enough.

Let's face it we dominated the first 45 minutes and should've been 2 or 3 up at half time so despite the dire second half i don't think we need drastic changes.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    No, chin-chilla's don't have horns
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Forgetting about the fact that it is England - we do need an explanation for what was a refereeing/officiating debacle last night. It should concern all teams! England won so it isn't sour grapes, but we have VAR and this shouldn't have happened!
  • Options

Would make 2 changes for Panama.

Rose in for Young. I don't think Young gets down the line or overlaps enough. Rose will.

Rashford in for Sterling. If the Germans can leave Sane out for not performing well enough at international level then why do we need to keep playing Sterling? 2 goals in 39 caps isn't good enough.

Let's face it we dominated the first 45 minutes and should've been 2 or 3 up at half time so despite the dire second half i don't think we need drastic changes.

The problem with Young is that he can’t cross with his left foot so everyone knows he is going to cut on his right, or stop and pass it backwards.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

You joke but that’s th exact example I had in my head last night. It isn’t paranoia at play - we won’t ever win Eurovision as people don’t like us. The politics at play means that a supergroup of Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Elton John and Adele would still get beat by 3 50 year old folk singers from Albania.

Football (and especially football in Russia) is exactly the same. We ain’t getting anything out of this tournament decision wise and dare I say they will do whatever humanly possible to ensure that World Cup isn’t landing at Heathrow in a months time (although pretty sure they won’t need to worry too much about that scenario)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I do feel a bit for Sterling as of all the players in the team he has the most adapting to do in the current formation. Southgate is playing him as a proper striker which doesn't really suit him. He's small and quite frail on the ball, so normally he creates himself a yard to use his pace to get by players, or makes an intelligent run to bypass defenders altogether. The bending run he made for his fluffed chance was excellent. He can't do that the same as a striker, and Harry Kane other than his goals wasn't involved in the game yesterday so Sterling couldn't play off him either. The logical thing to do after that is drop deeper into space to find the gaps to work in, but the problem he has is Lingard and Alli are both operating in that space which means that Sterling needs to push further up. He can't pull too far wide either as the wing backs push so far up and the two attacking midfielders are supposed to get close to them to exchange passes when the ball goes wide. When Rashford came on you could see the difference immediately as he's a proper striker who is used to receiving the ball in those areas and more used to finding those pockets of space in tight areas around the box. I think Sterling can deliver for England, it just might be a bit too much adapting too soon for him at the World Cup. The important thing is he made more of a nuisance of himself than Kane and always gave the Tunisian defenders something to worry about with his pace before Rashford penetrated better. He just needs to develop into the position

We are a bit too fixated on who starts. A sub in many ways can be a more important player. Rashford makes an excellent sub against tiring defenders. I'd start Sterling and if he fades, as he is likely to do in the conditions, give defenders another problem.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Can't complain about penalty. It was soft, but you can't change the ref's view or even argue with it. My view is the Tunisian ran into Walker's arm but again, can't complain. Seeing as we were told VAR would sort out the nonsense that goes on in the box for set pieces - that aspect was incredibly disapointing with teh WWE moves on Kane! I think FIFA should review their review process now.

Tunisia are the highest ranked African side. Apart from a soft penalty, they didn't look like scoring. Ok, England were frustrating in the second half, but this was largely because a) it was hot so the intensity had to dropand b) The Tunisians are a decent side and gave up any pretence of trying to win the game. A win was massive given the teams in the group!
  • Options

Fumbluff said:

You joke but that’s th exact example I had in my head last night. It isn’t paranoia at play - we won’t ever win Eurovision as people don’t like us. The politics at play means that a supergroup of Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Elton John and Adele would still get beat by 3 50 year old folk singers from Albania.

Football (and especially football in Russia) is exactly the same. We ain’t getting anything out of this tournament decision wise and dare I say they will do whatever humanly possible to ensure that World Cup isn’t landing at Heathrow in a months time (although pretty sure they won’t need to worry too much about that scenario)
    We should actually do something like that one year just to prove to the world what a farce it is. Never understood why we even bother to waste time and money entering.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Should have been out of sight before the penalty.

Full marks to them for pressing out centre-backs when we tried to play the ball out from the back.

They were content to hang on for the draw and we lacked the guile to get through them often enough. Without the predatory instincts of Kane we'd be rueing two dropped points.

Sterling is a waste of space and we have to use someone else up front with Kane, preferably Vardy but I'd be happy with Harry Redknapp's granny.

• Options
    If we're worrying about the heat and our intensity dropping off because of it, then we're fucked for the next game which is a lunchtime kick off
  • Options

If we're worrying about the heat and our intensity dropping off because of it, then we're fucked for the next game which is a lunchtime kick off

The stadium is further north though, so the climate is cooler
  • Options

Thought England were miles better than Tunisia. Referee was dreadful. Never a pen-Walker was just shielding the ball. Their players were falling over constantly, including being hit by the ball. They deserved nothing and thankfully got nothing.

If the ref wasn't bent we'd have probably won by 6 !
    If anyone but Kane knew where the goal was, we'd have won by seven!
  • Options
    All my Flyspray has run out,
    I'll have to buy a new tin.
    Swarms of Ruski Migs about,
    Attracted by the Pu tin.

Another corner comes across,
    Gosh, how our lads can float 'em,
    Ref can't explain why Harry Kane
    Has just picked up his scrotum.

No surprise in their new guise,
    FIFA ain't changed a jot.
    To fix the circus, often tries,
    By pointing to the spot.

England won't stick to the script,
    They fight until it's won,
    Poor ref will get a new arse ripped,
    Sit back, enjoy the fun!

"If you ever see a post from WRICURKINCAM walk away and pretend you didn't. Only madness lies ahead. " = Henry Irving