Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Tunisia

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2018
    The biggest surprise there was that we nicked a winner!- was typically England to look good for 20 minutes then give away a soft penalty and not get one ourselves before doing nothing in the 2nd half.

Then again has anyone looked that great for more than half a game?

Just hope Kane doesn't get injured...
  • Options
    Rashford must replace sterling. Trippier was class, really rate Maguire - as well as his runs, he is totally dominant in the air in both boxes. Not sure what deli ali was up to - hid most of the game. We have obvious deficiencies - lack of creative playmakers in midfield / up top being the biggest but i've not seen us create that many chances in a world cup finals game before so at least playing to our strengths by breaking fast. We seem to have some sort of hoodoo in these tournaments though where something calamitous happens when its all going so well - bit like us and the gypsy curse millwall have on us. That first half is cause for optimism in my book though so roll on sunday.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

In slightly more controversial news, I think we should stick with Sterling. He makes things happen and his movement is excellent, even if his touch is often errant

Sterling is the best player I have ever seen in my whole life. When it comes to breaking away with the ball and blasting it straight at a defender.

He wants to concentrate on cultivating his super sideburns and hairstyle and getting more tattoos.

poser...................................................................
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    We started with such intensity that it was always going to be difficult to maintain that level for the second half. In that respect, Southgate's substitutes were spot on. Rashford and RLC gave the rest of the team the lift that they needed to pick their levels back up for the last 10 minutes and we got the deciding goal.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Rashford must replace sterling. Trippier was class, really rate Maguire - as well as his runs, he is totally dominant in the air in both boxes. Not sure what deli ali was up to - hid most of the game. We have obvious deficiencies - lack of creative playmakers in midfield / up top being the biggest but i've not seen us create that many chances in a world cup finals game before so at least playing to our strengths by breaking fast. We seem to have some sort of hoodoo in these tournaments though where something calamitous happens when its all going so well - bit like us and the gypsy curse millwall have on us. That first half is cause for optimism in my book though so roll on sunday.

Not drawing is cause for optimism in my opinion. So often we have been left with excuses.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Hendersons best match for England

Agree. And think this is wholly down to Gareth and the system. He now has a clear role and know a exactly what he is supposed to do. Previously he had Dier alongside him who liked to occupy the same areas and play the same role. Nether of them were clear about their job and when to go and when to drop in. It delayed their decision making whilst they had to work out what the other one was doing.

Both decent players and if be happy with either in that role but only one of them in the side at a time.
  • Options
    Performance showed the potential the squad has . Would drop Sterling Lindgard and Young for next game . Dier Rose and Rashford should improve things , but at least there is completion for places . Feeling more hopeful as not been impressed by the so called Big Guns .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That ginger let Maguire go. Never trust a ginger :wink:

They were playing a ringer there. Unless he dyes his hair he must be the only natural ginger in Tunisia.
    At least one other - I used to play football with a Tunisian bloke with ginger hair. He was absolutely fucking mental (I'd imagine you would be with the stick he must have got as a kid). Like Canelo Alvarez - ginger Mexicans must be as rare as rocking horse shit
    Seen loads of ginger Mexicans on hairytaco.com, so not that rare
  • Options

Performance showed the potential the squad has . Would drop Sterling Lindgard and Young for next game . Dier Rose and Rashford should improve things , but at least there is completion for places . Feeling more hopeful as not been impressed by the so called Big Guns .

Dier and Henderson must never play together, apart from that I agree
  • Options
    Daggs said:

Daggs said:

Absolute tripe by a bunch if effeminate snowflakes who have no idea what it means to represent England in the World Cup.
    It will take a near miracle for us to proceed from the group.

Bobby Moore, Ray Wilson, Nobby Stiles, Geoff Hurst etc. Would be embarrassed by the performance of this bunch of posers. They are more suited to the girls' grammar 1st eleven along with their manager.

Harry Kane is exempt from any of my comments.

In 66 England drew their 1st match.
    And went on to win the World Cup. How do you think this lot will do?
    I predicted we would reach the last 16 on the World cup thread.

In 66 we had 4 world class players in our squad
    Moore, Banks, Charlton and Greaves.
    Plus all the referee decisions went in our favour.
    Brazil and Pele were kicked out the tournament by a poor referee being put in charge.
    In the quarter final the strict German referee was put in charge of England v Argentina and he sent off Ratin the captain after about 15 minutes for just questioning a couple of decisions.
    In the final two of England's goals should have been disallowed.
    Rose coloured glasses are a wonderful thing but nothing to do with reality.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Got a good leap on him still, send Southgate on if we have another late corner!
  • Options
    Talal said:

Leuth said:

In slightly more controversial news, I think we should stick with Sterling. He makes things happen and his movement is excellent, even if his touch is often errant

I'd like to know what these things are.
    Sterling made virtually all our moves break down by losing possession to Tunisia.
    He definitely made things happen, but in a very bad way.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

Absolute tripe by a bunch if effeminate snowflakes who have no idea what it means to represent England in the World Cup.
    It will take a near miracle for us to proceed from the group.

Bobby Moore, Ray Wilson, Nobby Stiles, Geoff Hurst etc. Would be embarrassed by the performance of this bunch of posers. They are more suited to the girls' grammar 1st eleven along with their manager.

Harry Kane is exempt from any of my comments.

Cheer up ffs.
  • Options
    Maybe Delph could be an option if Dier and Henderson are too similar . Played well in one of the friendlies before the tournament .
  • Options
    The bloke next to Southgate doesn't look entirely delighted to me
  • Options
    Thought England were miles better than Tunisia. Referee was dreadful. Never a pen-Walker was just shielding the ball. Their players were falling over constantly, including being hit by the ball. They deserved nothing and thankfully got nothing.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I remember when Chris Solly was better than Trippier that year he played for Burnley in the championship. Think it was our first season back up under Powell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Maybe Delph could be an option if Dier and Henderson are too similar . Played well in one of the friendlies before the tournament .

Delph should've been Mom in that final friendly but Rashford got it by virtue of his wonder strike goal which tipped the balance.
  • Options

It’s going to be a real boring performance riddled with miss place passes and shit decision making

We will score late on to save the blushes and stumble along like every other tournament

Scarily accurate!
  • Options

Thought England were miles better than Tunisia. Referee was dreadful. Never a pen-Walker was just shielding the ball. Their players were falling over constantly, including being hit by the ball. They deserved nothing and thankfully got nothing.

If the ref wasn't bent we'd have probably won by 6 !
  • Options

What a shit ref, the guy didn't have a clue.

Two blatant penalties, their players hardly ever going back 10 yards from our free kicks and he did fuck all about it.

Tunisia got exactly what they deserved.

Yes, but was he shit or had someone (The Russians) paid him off ?
    I usually get quite annoyed when Colin blames every Charlton defeat on the ref.
    But let's be quite frank, we had 2 blatant penalties that between the ref and VAR were not even reviewed.
    In every match before our's the refs and VAR have been excellent, so something was definitely amiss and I don not see why we are not entitled to an explanation.

I seriously think it stinks and let's be honest if we'd been given those decisions we could have won by 4-1 at the very least. England should ask FIFA for an explanation.
    I think you are absolutely right. I'm trying to come at this from a neutral perspective (which is obviously hard to do) and I just can't square it up in my head - we've had what, 9 world cup games now? 10? The reffing standard has been very good, even VAR has been largely used in at the very least a fair way even if I personally have disagreed with some of them - the Argentina penalty and non penalty for example - but at least they stopped the game for 30 seconds and had a proper look a few times - it has even flowed ok when they have checked to be fair.

Tonight the difference was jarring - like it went from premier league standard to league one standard. They took literally NO time to check the two Kane shouts, there wasn't even a fascade of checking different angles or even having a second look at a replay, it was just Kane goes down, no foul given, play on. Didn't see the ref holding his ear for communication he didn't pause for a few seconds, just play on. The fact that it happened twice and had been penalised in a game just yesterday adds insult to injury and that is what makes it suspect for me.

I'm more annoyed about this than Lampard's goal that wasn't against Germany - at least they had the excuse of having no choice but to decide in real time with no technological back up.

Great post, in my mind this only adds to the idea that each team should have one VAR 'appeal' of sorts. Would potentially allow teams to feel less hard done by.
  • Options

It’s going to be a real boring performance riddled with miss place passes and shit decision making

We will score late on to save the blushes and stumble along like every other tournament

Scarily accurate!
    Should read me on the takeover thread

8)

• Options
    edited June 2018

Talal said:

Leuth said:

I'd like to know what these things are.
    Sterling made virtually all our moves break down by losing possession to Tunisia.
    He definitely made things happen, but in a very bad way.
    Agree.
    2 goals in 39 matches now, and the problem is, he is good in getting in goal scoring positions but his finishing for England is woeful,
    Southgate is being too loyal to him.
    Rashford has looked really confident for England in his last two outings.
    Against a mediocre Side Sterling blew it.
  • Options

100% the ref was told to ignore any contentious decisions by FIFA and or Russia

This will happen to England more than any other team and FIFA will apologise for it when we get knocked out by an offside or goal that should not be allowed

Anyone who thinks we are walking away post Blatter or Salisbury is mental

I'm a firm believer that football is never fixed at this level. Tonight made me question that.