Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Belgium - Thursday 28th June - 7pm

Comments

• I don't buy the point at all. For one thing, this is a completely different team to the ones who have been losing the last twelve years. If we lose in knockouts again this time, it's not because of what happened before.

If you're smart, you give yourself the best possible chance to win the tournament. Do we have a better chance of progressing against Japan, Sweden or against Colombia, Brazil? From the semi final stage, four teams are left and anything can happen.

Come off it. The best teams are set up to always look further ahead because they know they're good enough to reach the latter stages. Previous German teams have already bookies their hotels for the final ahead of the tournament because they know they're getting there.

We need a touch of the German efficiency about us and if that means losing today, I'm fine with that.
    I agree. I'm all for wanting the result that gives us the best chance of progressing further.
  • MEAT PIE
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Looking forward to it tonight.
    The one game me and the lads have had booked in the diary for months as we all thought it would be Spurs v Spurs. Oh well. Bring on the beer.

Suppose its good in a way... Dont really want the Belgian Defence committing a bad challenge on Kane and so potentially mess up your League season if he were to get injured

• Biggest threats still France, Spain, Brazil, Croatia and even Argentina.

They're not all biggest threats really as none of them are our next game.

Our biggest threat is one of:

- Japan
    - Senegal
    - Columbia

Personally I'd take any one of those three as they're definitely winnable if we continue to play as a team and not as individuals (Kyle Walker, Raheem Sterling & Danny Rose I'm talking about you).
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Looking forward to it tonight.
    The one game me and the lads have had booked in the diary for months as we all thought it would be Spurs v Spurs. Oh well. Bring on the beer.

Suppose its good in a way... Dont really want the Belgian Defence committing a bad challenge on Kane and so potentially mess up your League season if he were to get injured
    Now we'll just see Dier and Dembele kick lumps out each other instead!
  • Hope we go for a thumping win
  • Whatever our approach and whatever the result is we can't lose. Win and we were professional and wanted to keep the momentum going and if you want to win the WC you have to beat the best teams, lose and we just have a little sparkle in our eyes and a few knowing nods and winks.
  • Think Uruguay and Croatia are big threats. After Brazil of course.
  • Just seen the BBC have commented that James Rodriguez is one yellow card away from a booking

Hopefully that happens today if we end up with Colombia in the next round

Just gone off, injured.
  • Lad I know is running a fair few coaches through that route. I’m sure everyone will have factored in plenty of time.

Assume England will have a decent turnout for this one Mr Organiser?
    Better than the first two games for sure, but still very low relative to previous tournaments.

Very jealous I’m not out there seeing all my mates messages and videos.
    Is that down to it being in Russia, or apathy?

Russia seems an easier destination compared to recent tournaments.
    I think it's numerous things.

1. I don't think our support in numbers is generally as good as the hype, even in the last 15 years.
    2. There has been a huge growing apathy with the national team over the last decade or so. Around the WC in 2006 the away membership had to be capped at I think 35k. Now it's down to less than 10k and is only that high because of France 2016. Will be interesting to see how many renew after this WC for the next two year period. A lot will depend on the WC obviously.
    3. We have a supporters club that makes you jump through hurdles compared to some countries.
    4. Russia is a bit of a logistical nightmare to arrange, esp at short notice and is costly.
    5. The unfounded fears of trouble, the police and Russia generally.
    6. The unknowns over how security checks would work and black-market tickets. In previous tournaments you could pop over on the off chance knowing if you pick up a ticket, you would get in. To risky and expensive out here.
    7. Having to apply for a VISA beforehand.
    8. Those who have travelled for years are sick of the continued failure and Iceland was a tipping point for lots. Since 2006 - didn't qualify 08, SA was disastrous in 10, Ukraine was a non-event in 12, Brazil was uninspiring in 14, Iceland was a disgrace in 16. People spent a lot of money following the aforementioned let downs.
    9. Cost of tickets - significantly higher than the last euros.

I'm sure there are many more reasons. Mine personally was cost. I've never been a big tournament man - prefer the qualifiers, but I've bought a semi and final ticket officially for £600 (!!!) and have to be mindful of the potential extra costs of getting out there should we make it. So affording group games too was a no no, just in case the unthinkable happens.
    Interesting points there, obviously hasn't bothered the South American countries though...amazing support for all of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Columbia score
  • Japan now 2nd in group
  • Japan now 2nd in group

Wanna see Japan go through
  • Japan now 2nd in group

Wanna see Japan go through
    Going through on two less yellows than Senagal atm.
  • Changes things a bit now, lets go for the win and take each game as it comes. Come on ENGLAND!
  • edited June 2018
    So after tonight it will be 7.00pm KO either Monday or Tuesday for England.

Breaking news 8 changes rumoured v Belgium only Lingard, Stones, Pickford to retain places.
  • RedChaser said:

So after tonight it will be 7.00pm KO either Monday or Tuesday for England.

Breaking news 8 changes v Belgium.

Pope up front probably the biggest surprise
  • edited June 2018
    Disappointed Kane isn't starting to carry on his scoring run but good to see rashford get a start
  • Bottom line - if you can’t beat Colombia then you ain’t winning the World Cup anyway.

Biggest threats still France, Spain, Brazil, Croatia and even Argentina.

Technically that's true of anyone. It's how knockout stages work...
  • Sponsored links:

• Let's try to win so we get the easier round of 16 game.

But wait a second, I thought it didn't matter who we played because we have to play good teams eventually anyway.
  • edited June 2018

I don't buy the point at all. For one thing, this is a completely different team to the ones who have been losing the last twelve years. If we lose in knockouts again this time, it's not because of what happened before.

If you're smart, you give yourself the best possible chance to win the tournament. Do we have a better chance of progressing against Japan, Sweden or against Colombia, Brazil? From the semi final stage, four teams are left and anything can happen.

Come off it. The best teams are set up to always look further ahead because they know they're good enough to reach the latter stages. Previous German teams have already bookies their hotels for the final ahead of the tournament because they know they're getting there.

We need a touch of the German efficiency about us and if that means losing today, I'm fine with that.
    I agree. I'm all for wanting the result that gives us the best chance of progressing further.

I don't buy the point at all. For one thing, this is a completely different team to the ones who have been losing the last twelve years. If we lose in knockouts again this time, it's not because of what happened before.

I think our best chance is against Japan, especially with the height advantage at set pieces.
    So I want us to win tonight, so we play them.

Hang on, if we beat Japan we have to play Brazil or Mexico. Hmm, I'd rather play Switzerland or Sweden.

Nurse.
  • Let's try to win so we get the easier round of 16 game.

But wait a second, I thought it didn't matter who we played because we have to play good teams eventually anyway.

You're right, we should be trying to win regardless.
  • Today's results mean that there is no real advantage to finishing 1st or 2nd.
    I believe that is a good thing and that tonight's game will be a proper match.

Played by 2 reserve sides not tackling each other.
  • I know some guys in the Belgian squad wouldn't mind a summer transfer , e.g. Boyota (Celtic), Tielemans (Monaco), Den Doncker (Anderlecht) . I can't imagine a player performing at half pace. Maybe they'll be carefull for injuries though ...

Played by 2 reserve sides not tackling each other.
    That's very true.
    But looking at who we could face in the last 16 followed by the last 8 I'm really not sure what I'd prefer.
  • skywalker said:

I know some guys in the Belgian squad wouldn't mind a summer transfer , e.g. Boyota (Celtic), Tielemans (Monaco), Den Doncker (Anderlecht) . I can't imagine a player performing at half pace. Maybe they'll be carefull for injuries though ...

Greetings Luke, may the best reserve team win this evening :wink: .
  • Dazzler21 said:

MEAT PIE

SAUSAGE ROLL
  • After what I have just seen I wouldn't fear Columbia at all. I'd prefer not to come up against Brazil in the 1/4 finals but then again Sweeden or the Swiss could be tricky too.