Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• mendonca said:
    mendonca said:
    mendonca said:
    I don’t blame him for playing international football. Imagine if England players turned down call ups because it’s the club games that pay their salary. I know that’s truth and the English comparison isn’t like for like, but an injury can happen at any point. Not defending what he did, but playing for Montserrat didn’t directly influence his decision. 
    Playing for Monserrat, on an awful pitch, lacking medical facilities and staff, getting injured for months, returning via a train to Ebbsfleet......seems a bit more than an indirect influence on his decision, which came about as an outcome of the above.
    I disagree, the injury had no impact. Taylor would still have refused to play because he wanted to leave. 
    But he stated that the main driver was being unsure about his fitness, due to the injury.
    I know he did, and I'm 99% sure that's rubbish, he just doesn't want to admit he was greedy. Regardless, the injury was several months before. In fact, IMO it makes it worse because he has admitted he was barely training. So in fact that reduces the risk of injury. Even 5 games is what around 8 hours of football? 

He said in that interview "another transfer was blocked in January". The bloke wanted out and didn't want to get injured playing for a club he was going to leave so he let the club and his teammates down.

EDIT - less than hour and ago you stated he was lying and exaggerating about the injury? Now you're saying the injury was the reason?
    I don't disagree with much that you've posted. Regarding the final point, I was summarising my views in the post with bullet points, but referenced Taylor's statement in the latter post. 
    Fair enough and it might have made an impact, I guess we'll never know for sure. I just think he would have made the same selfish decision regardless so don't really feel the injury made a big difference (albeit it did during the season itself as he missed a chunk of games). 
    I would also like to "factcheck" what he says. I can't remember how long he was  actually out for but it seemed a long time. And I dont remember him playing from Jan through to March all that much. 
  • @golfaddick he played 16 times between returning from injury and the end of his contract out of a possible 21 games. 

I believe we rushed him back, but certainly not excessively. 

• Dazzler21 said:
    @golfaddick he played 16 times between returning from injury and the end of his contract out of a possible 21 games. 

I believe we rushed him back, but certainly not excessively. 

That fixture list from start to finish just makes me feel sick to the stomach  
  • Blah blah blah, still trying to justify himself to everyone three years later.

it doesn’t matter what you say Lyle, we all remember what happened, you can’t rewrite history. You behaved like a selfish c*nt when your club needed you and you can never reverse that.

You now have a lot of money in your bank account 👏 but the price you will forever pay for that, is that we all know you’re a c*nt. He’ll say he doesn’t care what we think but he definitely does, that’s why he’s still trying to lie to us about it. We know what you are Lyle, just don’t show your face round our ends again. 
    I bet he is gutted what some Charlton fans think of him, he's made his money and no doubt does not have to work again.

• Rare to have two c*nts on the radio at the same time.
  • "I was selfish"  

Lyle said ACL ? He wasn't out long enough to be an ACL knee injury 🤷🏻‍♂️

I had to listen back to the beginning and Lyle does say LCL not ACL. 
  • Blah blah blah, still trying to justify himself to everyone three years later.

it doesn’t matter what you say Lyle, we all remember what happened, you can’t rewrite history. You behaved like a selfish c*nt when your club needed you and you can never reverse that.

You now have a lot of money in your bank account 👏 but the price you will forever pay for that, is that we all know you’re a c*nt. He’ll say he doesn’t care what we think but he definitely does, that’s why he’s still trying to lie to us about it. We know what you are Lyle, just don’t show your face round our ends again. 
    I doubt he's that desperate to make amends.
  • Has he retired from playing? Hasn't played in over a year and still no club will have him. 
  • The biggest problem for a leaguen1 club will be the potential detriment someone of his character will have on a carefully budgeted and assembled squad. Managers will be thinking "when the going gets tough, I won't be able to trust him" and players will think the same. He has played no competitive football for ages which is shocking considering he hasn't been out through injury, just for not being good enough in a managers eyes. 

Also, dropping other players names, he is trying to deflect, they are hardly going to try and talk him out of it as he'd made his mind up and was fishing for validation. I bet there were loads who said, 'come on muchnwe need slither 3 points and we are safe 
  • Sponsored links:

• I like to think if we had more competent leadership at the club at the time we could have pursued him for breach of contract.
  • edited August 2023
     I wish they'd acknowledged that Charlton were subsequently relegated at the end of that interview 
    ….yes, something from him like “I will always be sad that, ultimately, Charlton didn’t manage to stay in the Championship” would at least show some sense that (a) he cared and (b) he acknowledged his decision impacted so many others negatively. The fact that those words weren’t said says everything about his mindset, morals and attitude. Such a shame that it ended that way as there’s no getting away from the fact that the was probably the best striker we have had since, probably, Yann.
  • What he doesn’t say is that he was offered a new contract at Charlton that would have been about half of what he got at NF. So if he did get injured he wasn’t going to be club less or skint. 1 point more in them last 6 games would have kept us up - can’t forgive or forget that - shame as he is just the type of striker we could use this season 
  • I remember at the time that this was going on with Taylor not playing, because of the chance of injury ruining a big money move. 
    We played Birmingham City and a young teenager came off the Brummie bench and scored a equaliser. 
    That teenager was called Bellingham, wonder what happened to him?
  • I remember at the time that this was going on with Taylor not playing, because of the chance of injury ruining a big money move. 
    We played Birmingham City and a young teenager came off the Brummie bench and scored a equaliser. 
    That teenager was called Bellingham, wonder what happened to him?
    Pretty sure Lukas Jutkiewicz scored the equaliser. I do remember Bellingham skinning Pratley to set the move for the goal up though
  • Bellingham scored at The Valley in the reverse fixture. Might have been our first defeat of the season?
  • Sponsored links:

• I think he was prolly on a big whack of £20k a week at Forest and obviously no on is paying anywhere near that .
    I’m sure if he accepted £7.5k a week there’d be a few takers , football doesn’t give a fcuk re anyone’s morals if they’re decent 
    look at the drink drivers , alleged rapists , the Marcus Maddison’s , they all got taken on .
    If the price is right he’ll be there , problem is he has to battle with his ego to take a big cut .
    I am tended to agree, if you are good then football forgives. I think the big difference with Taylor is he bottled a fight and whilst characters like Lee Hughes, Marlon King and Joey Barton got second chances and in Bartons case about 20 chances but you absolutely cannot accuse any of them of being bottlers, the managers who took them on after they got released knew they were getting players who would turn up and perform, with Taylor you'd always be questioning him when the week before a 6 pointer if he was mincing about clutching his thigh or holding his back because it isn't in question, he has chosen to pussy out of a fight before and that will never leave him 
  • As if anyone else in this thread wouldn't of done the same as Lyle. He is probably financially set for life now.
    I'm not sure how many times we can all have the same debate, but for what it's worth:

Hundreds of other players were out of contract at the end of that season and didn't do the same.  Even just for us - Sarr, Lockyer are two off the top of my head.

He could have played, left at the end of the season and got the same contract anyway.  He uses fear of injury as the excuse, but hundreds of footballers play every year despite being at the end of their contracts and hoping to get a contract/move the next season.  Again, Sarr, Lockyer - stayed, played, got a move anyway.

If every player acted like Lyle Taylor did, we'd have any players looking to leave on a free downing tools before the end of a season.
    Absolutely, someone told me once its like a golfer refusing to play the back nine in case they lose a golf ball, its that much of a non-issue. 

• was doing punditry on 5 LIve last evening .. very eloquent, but very all about me me me 
  • There’s also another counterfactual that might have played out.

What if Taylor played those eight games and scored let’s say six goals? Suddenly he ends the season having saved a fairly poor team from relegation, he’s the form goal scorer in the division and he’s caught a lot of attention just before the summer transfer window opens.

Seems certain a Premier League team comes in for him that summer as a no brainer free transfer gamble, potentially offering him £40k+ a week and makes him a default starter in the top division. 

If he’d backed himself he might have earned more than double what he picked up and also played in the top flight. 

Instead he settled for his career fizzling out in the championship, couldn’t be bothered to go out on loan somewhere when not picked in Forest’s premier league squad and now has no takers. I have a feeling he’s holding out for Sheffield United getting desperate and taking him on a free but no one wants a waster. He’s exposed himself not just at Charlton but by his behaviour last season. The guy has no hunger. 

And if I was a club interested in him, I'd have worried how bad the injury was that he didn't want to risk playing any football.
  • In work so can't listen to the clip and I know I'll forget to watch it later - What does Bowyer say about the whole thing? Without the creative license on what he said please haha,