Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• My favourite Charlton player since Jann Kermorgant. (And Mrs. Grumpy's). 

The club was a basket case and he prioritised his own interests and those of his family. Not very admirable I agree but compared to the scumbag moral behavior of many young professional footballers a pretty minor sin. 
     He only needed to play against Cardiff and he'd have increased our chance of winning. 

Instead we had Chuks and Andre Green starting...

• 801912601 said:
    What he doesn’t say is that he was offered a new contract at Charlton that would have been about half of what he got at NF. So if he did get injured he wasn’t going to be club less or skint. 1 point more in them last 6 games would have kept us up - can’t forgive or forget that - shame as he is just the type of striker we could use this season 
    He had said on a previous interview ESI halved a contract offer he was given prior to peanut head 'taking over'.
    Whatever people may think of Taylor, he knew of the geezer from the past and has a very low opinion of him.
  • In work so can't listen to the clip and I know I'll forget to watch it later - What does Bowyer say about the whole thing? Without the creative license on what he said please haha, 
    Given that he later signed him for Brum, you can probably guess what he said.
  • On the face of it that all seems reasonable from what Taylor says. However he is not giving the full story. He was under contract at the time so really was obliged to play. He also had conducted his career by letting contracts run down and moving on without a fee to increase his own wages signing on fee and taking the risk of an injury at the wrong time. Add to that the fact that he injured himself playing in an international on a possibly sub standard pitch and all the evidence still points to him being a c*nt
    Also he mentions 2 players he spoke to. 1 (Solly) also refused to play. Shows the type of company he keeps. 

The other one was Jason Pearce though , not quite the same narrative with him. 
  • As if anyone else in this thread wouldn't of done the same as Lyle. He is probably financially set for life now.
    I'm not sure how many times we can all have the same debate, but for what it's worth:

Hundreds of other players were out of contract at the end of that season and didn't do the same.  Even just for us - Sarr, Lockyer are two off the top of my head.

He could have played, left at the end of the season and got the same contract anyway.  He uses fear of injury as the excuse, but hundreds of footballers play every year despite being at the end of their contracts and hoping to get a contract/move the next season.  Again, Sarr, Lockyer - stayed, played, got a move anyway.

If every player acted like Lyle Taylor did, we'd have any players looking to leave on a free downing tools before the end of a season.
    He's a disgrace of an individual and full of bullshit. Thankfully not everyone is like him.

• Expect to be in a minority but I’d love to see him back. I don’t think he’d have a negative affect on the dressing room, quite the opposite. 

Hated him at the time… now I half respect his honesty. 
  • Lurker said:
    Expect to be in a minority but I’d love to see him back. I don’t think he’d have a negative affect on the dressing room, quite the opposite. 

Nah, f**k him.

Not only is it like going back to a cheating ex when you should move on and find someone who is less of a twat, he's also 33 and hasn't played in a year, no guarantees we'd be getting the same quality of player we had last time.
  • Lurker said:
    Expect to be in a minority but I’d love to see him back. I don’t think he’d have a negative affect on the dressing room, quite the opposite. 

Nothing to respect about him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Talal said:
    As if anyone else in this thread wouldn't of done the same as Lyle. He is probably financially set for life now.
    Nailed it, close thread.
    Bollocks, tons of footballers see out their contracts like professionals. 

Seeing out the contract to then take a signing on fee.  In many instances this will be the case, and into the bargain stopping a club get a transfer fee.

It works both ways.
  • What would happen if our team gave him a 12  month contract, hypothetically thinking would we forgive him if he got us 20 goals and promotion, would the fans suddenly stop going? 

What he did was morally wrong, footballers or those from any other profession which [pays more than I can dream of earning will always put them and their families first!

I was gutted and upset, but if he came back and made it up to the fans, I think we genuinely forgive people and move on with our lives, I have been supporting this club since the 70's, but I rarely find the time to get to games nowadays, but would have no objection! 

As mentioned he is 33 so it won't happen, and was Bowyer at Brum and took him back?    
  • Talal said:
    As if anyone else in this thread wouldn't of done the same as Lyle. He is probably financially set for life now.
    Nailed it, close thread.

Seeing out the contract to then take a signing on fee.  In many instances this will be the case, and into the bargain stopping a club get a transfer fee.

It works both ways.
    Which they are entitled to receive after fulfilling their contract. Something Taylor wasn't prepared to do. 

The club was a basket case and he prioritised his own interests and those of his family. Not very admirable I agree but compared to the scumbag moral behavior of many young professional footballers a pretty minor sin. 

"Jann Kermogant"?  Is that Yann's Polish half brother?
  • edited August 2023
    CAFCTrev said:
    Next time I quit a job Im taking the Lyle Taylor approach, Im refusing to work my notice so I don't get injured for the new job. 
    Funnily enough that is almost literally what I've just done.  They are calling it gardening leave to save face.  I'm calling it, "sorry I'm not coming back in".
  • edited August 2023
    Talal said:
    Nailed it, close thread.

It works both ways.
    Funny how so many are desperate to make excuses for him. Shows how low people's expectations are...

I am not making excuses for him, I have no problems with what he did.  I understand why he did it.
    Wimbledon away last season, he was in the crowd hearing the away end singing "Taylor, you're a c***"!  Do you honestly think he is concerned with that when he can play on the golf course every day for the rest of his life.
    As I have repeatedly said, and stand(not very high) by, what he did was wrong but I fully understand why he did it.  
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Next time I quit a job Im taking the Lyle Taylor approach, Im refusing to work my notice so I don't get injured for the new job. 
    Funnily enough that is almost literally what I've just done.  They are calling it gardening leave to save face.  I'm calling it, "sorry I'm not coming back in".

You naughty boy :)

If only we could uncover a Polish version of Yann.

It’s Yann’s wife 
  • Sponsored links:

• Im sure most supporters would welcome Lyle back if it got us promotion , he chose us over Sunderland for more money than we paid him when he first signed and I can never forget how good he was to Betty Hutchins when she was ill, Id love to have him back and I expect Holden wouldnt turn him down, perhaps he could play the first 9 games for nothing as a sort of payback
  • Lurker said:

Please no, would divide the fan base, which is what we don’t need right now.

However good he was for us, and at his best he was like 2 players, money has gone to his head, he’s hardly kicked a ball in the last 4 years, and whatever we think, he will think he owes us nothing.

Im not sure I could take to him coming back to be honest, he walked away when we needed him to do his job and keep us in the championship, and he told us to poke it.

Only reason he’s popping his head up out of the parapet is because he wants another contract, don’t fool for it!
  • Chunes said:
    Talal said:
    Nailed it, close thread.

It works both ways.
    Funny how so many are desperate to make excuses for him. Shows how low people's expectations are...

I am not making excuses for him, I have no problems with what he did.  I understand why he did it.
    Wimbledon away last season, he was in the crowd hearing the away end singing "Taylor, you're a c***"!  Do you honestly think he is concerned with that when he can play on the golf course every day for the rest of his life.
    As I have repeatedly said, and stand(not very high) by, what he did was wrong but I fully understand why he did it.  
    Yeah but his reasons are because he only cares about Lyle Taylor and Lyle Taylor's bank balance. 

He was willing to drop his mates, a football club, a local area and thousand of fans who loved him right into the shit, just so he didn't 'risk' himself. 

I really don't believe everyone would have done the same. 

I couldn't have any less respect for the bloke
    I'm sure that really hurts him.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Talal said:
    Nailed it, close thread.

It works both ways.

Yeah but his reasons are because he only cares about Lyle Taylor and Lyle Taylor's bank balance. 

He was willing to drop his mates, a football club, a local area and thousand of fans who loved him right into the shit, just so he didn't 'risk' himself. 

I really don't believe everyone would have done the same. 

I couldn't have any less respect for the bloke
    I don't disagree with any of that.  But...

If he had done his ACL, for example, would you expect Southall or Elliottt would have "looked after him"?

When JFC did his ACL in the penultimate game of the season at least Thomas gave him some sort of contract, peanuts to what he could have got but more than most of us earn.

Also if he actually broke his contract don't you think the litigation happy Farnell would have sued him?

100% I would have done the same, if my future was potentially dependent on Southall.

I honestly don't think he would have done it if Roland or Thomas owned us at the time.

Agree with everything apart from the final line.

Polish Pete?

Polish Pete?

I wonder what happened to him.
  • He was fine training and playing with the almighty SE Dons too. Attention seeker from any level.

Polish Pete?

I wonder what happened to him.

Signed recently for Emmen in the Dutch Second Division. Been all over Europe since leaving us , with not too much success goals wise.