Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• I'm just trying to think when was the last time someone won without a team to back him up? 

He is impressive
  • First started watching the Tour on C4 in the late 80s and apart from a few years when it was clear that leading riders were doping it has just got better and better as has the coverage.

Loved seeing British riders come to the fore after years of the only hope being Robert Millar/Pippa York winning in the mountains or Sean Yates with some kind of breakaway. The coverage just gets better as well.

Still surprised by how many people who seem to watch any sport manage not to watch the grand tours.
  • Roglic ain't right. Jour Sans on day 20 - yikes! 
    I thought that but still finished 5th on the day, perhaps it was that Pogacar was just amazing.

*Unless of course they damaged the hidden motor in Roglic's bike yesterday.
  • Jeroen Swart and his influence on UAE this year is mighty impressive. Maybe we shouldn’t be surprised after how he helped Froome to become the champion he is. A real master of his arts is Swart.
  • Jeroen Swart and his influence on UAE this year is mighty impressive. Maybe we shouldn’t be surprised after how he helped Froome to become the champion he is. A real master of his arts is Swart.
    Oooh, you minx... 😏
  • edited September 2020
    That was really up there.  Was saying early on can't remember a TT as exciting as this since Menchov slid off in the Giro.  Then it became incomparable.

Few things Roglic always tails off in a week 3 TT.  If the TT had been first half he'd have won the Tour.  Still he was only 30 seconds down on Tom Dumoulin.  That would win you most Grand Tours unless you come across a generation's talent.  I'm not quite sure it was a complete physical collapse like the commentators claim.  You see it often when people dig too deep chasing, like Geraint Thomas against Alaphillipe, they lose a bigger chunk of time on the climb/final 1/3.  Didn't matter as Pogacar climbed faster by at least a minute more than anyone.  Don't think anyone in the world would have caught him.

Also for all Jumbo Visma's brilliance they seem to miss some obvious strategic wins.  Last year they'd most probably have won the Giro if they'd have replaced the injured Gesink with a proper Grand Tour rider.  Instead they wasted their most talented rider, who rode virtually whole mountain stages on his own - I'm talking about almost 80 miles in the front group with no support.  Here they did their bike change in the crowd a full 1/2 a k after all the other GC contenders.  Everyone else did it in the barriered section and stopped the car within a foot of their rider.  The gradient looked higher in the section Rog stopped at.  If Roglic had climbed at a similar speed to Pog, they'd quite likely have lost the Tour over a proper shit bike change.  Not good enough.  Possibly worse than Addy Engels and the boys taking a piss when Roglic is on his own in the mountains and needs a bike change in the Giro.  Allen Peiper plans just like they/he did at Slipstream, but it seems so did everyone else but Jumbo. 

Pogacar had good support from De la Cruz and Polanc.  They weren't there in the final shakeup but were often present until the final climb.  Dumoulin was isolated for mountain after mountain at Sunweb.  As was Froome in 2013 - third week 
    he had Porte but 2nd week their inflexible tactics they did a Cadel and burnt their whole team off at the first mountain.  
  • Wow wow wow that was just stunning. 

Incredible to watch ... what’s happened to the Tour in the last two years, it’s got exciting  ;)

And so pleased Porte finally gets a podium finish for Paris. 

This could impact Roglic for a while, will be interesting to see what happens next. 

Now looking forward to the Giro and Vuelta ... if they go ahead. 
  • Amazing stage yesterday. I can't imagine what sort of night Roglic must have had...or his team mates who were amazing in getting him into that position.

Whether it's the whole Covid thing and the timing of the Tour or advances in tech or something else but this year's event does feel that teams have caught up with Ineos, which is great for the spectator. 

Some good coverage also:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/sep/19/tadej-pogacar-set-to-win-tour-de-france-after-stunning-primoz-roglic

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2020/sep/20/primoz-roglic-and-tadej-pogacar-an-odd-couple-leading-slovenias-charge-to-glory
  • Amazing stage yesterday. I can't imagine what sort of night Roglic must have had...or his team mates who were amazing in getting him into that position.

Whether it's the whole Covid thing and the timing of the Tour or advances in tech or something else but this year's event does feel that teams have caught up with Ineos, which is great for the spectator. 

Some good coverage also:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/sep/19/tadej-pogacar-set-to-win-tour-de-france-after-stunning-primoz-roglic

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2020/sep/20/primoz-roglic-and-tadej-pogacar-an-odd-couple-leading-slovenias-charge-to-glory
    Good to see Pidcock mentioned in the 2nd article. 

He has said he won’t go for a Grand Tour for a couple of years ... wonder if he is now tempted? 

Although, it’s entirely feasible that the next young winner will be Evenepoel. 
  • An excellent race, from start to finish. An enjoyable three weeks' viewing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Any idea if any TV channels,apart from Eurosport, are showing coverage of the Giro  in the UK?
  • Any idea if any TV channels,apart from Eurosport, are showing coverage of the Giro  in the UK?
    That’s the only one I can find. 

ITV4 will be showing highlights of the Vuelta from 20 October (only 18 days this year). 
  • Oh God - not Nairo 😢
  • Oh God - not Nairo 😢
    I really hope not. Cycling does not need another one now
  • edited September 2020
    If it's Nairo, he'd have only learned it at one place.  At the moment can only see it mentioning saline bags, whilst they don't mention PEDs.  Banned since 2005, but where there was saline before there was always something else.  At least Quintana's not going to talk much in a police interview.

Pleased it was what appeared to be the Quintanas and their entourage.  Would be gutted if it was Connor Swift.
    Quest have been showing highlights for the past couple of years , similar to the ITV4  show 7 - 8PM , but no idea if they're doing similar this year.
  • ColinTat said:
    If it's Nairo, he'd have only learned it at one place.  At the moment can only see it mentioning saline bags, whilst they don't mention PEDs.  Banned since 2005, but where there was saline before there was always something else.  At least Quintana's not going to talk much in a police interview.

Pleased it was what appeared to be the Quintanas and their entourage.  Would be gutted if it was Connor Swift.
    100%, whist I do not condone drug use in cycling I would be gutted if Swift is involved.
  • Looks like it's bullshit anyway. Nothing illegal - dietary supplements that aren't on the banned list and saline. Obviously, there are connotations with blood bags when saline is involved, but there are loads of perfectly legit reasons for saline to be in a doctor's bag. If saline is the sole moody looking thing they found, then I think cycling is in a much better place than most other sports.

Slightly worrying that the team distanced themselves from the Quintana entourage though. Speaks volumes about the lack of trust there - and is the latest example of hangers on knocking around star riders acting 'outside the team'. That's a potential area ripe for doping. 
  • I'm just trying to think when was the last time someone won without a team to back him up? 

He is impressive
    Conversely, I think Roglic struggled both mentally and physically without the comfort of four or five team mates around him, as had been the case for every other stage of the Tour.
  • stonemuse said:
    Amazing stage yesterday. I can't imagine what sort of night Roglic must have had...or his team mates who were amazing in getting him into that position.

Some good coverage also:

He has said he won’t go for a Grand Tour for a couple of years ... wonder if he is now tempted? 

Rumoured that Pidcock joining Ineos next season. 

Apparently also after Dani Martinez and Connor Swift to join Adam Yates and Richie Porte and Rohan Dennis. 
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    Amazing stage yesterday. I can't imagine what sort of night Roglic must have had...or his team mates who were amazing in getting him into that position.

Some good coverage also:

Apparently also after Dani Martinez and Connor Swift to join Adam Yates and Richie Porte and Rohan Dennis. 
    Dani Martinez already announced, along with Laurens de Plus. Not sure Swift going there is the right move for him - he'll get lost in the shuffle. He'd be better off joining Matty Holmes at red Lotto - much more suited to them than Skineos
  • A bit all Northern Spain this year (La Vuelta), I would have thought lots of Andalucia what with the relative lateness of it.

• A bit all Northern Spain this year (La Vuelta), I would have thought lots of Andalucia what with the relative lateness of it.

Yeah, that is a weird one. Weather likely to be much better down south. I would have thought they'd change the route to accommodate - but all they've done is remove the Portugal stages and chuck two more mountain stages in
  • stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:

Some good coverage also:

Dani Martinez already announced, along with Laurens de Plus. Not sure Swift going there is the right move for him - he'll get lost in the shuffle. He'd be better off joining Matty Holmes at red Lotto - much more suited to them than Skineos
    Totally agree about Swift
  • He signed an extra two years at Arkea this summer, can't see Connor going anywhere.  If he enjoys a few more good seasons he'd be a good fit for any top Grand Tour team.  Better for him to stay and barring injury be guaranteed a TDF place.

Would have selfishly preferred to see Pidcock at Jumbo or Quickstep.  He'd get more of a chance and a better chance to win a varied race program.  I hope he at least get's on the Giro or Vuelta next year.
  • ColinTat said:

Would have selfishly preferred to see Pidcock at Jumbo or Quickstep.  He'd get more of a chance and a better chance to win a varied race program.  I hope he at least get's on the Giro or Vuelta next year.
    Pretty sure he will be on a Grand Tour next year ... in an interview two weeks back, he stated he was aiming for a Tour start within two years, so I assume that was part of the negotiations. 
  • stonemuse said:
    ColinTat said:

Pretty sure he will be on a Grand Tour next year ... in an interview two weeks back, he stated he was aiming for a Tour start within two years, so I assume that was part of the negotiations. 
    He might have a tour start in two years... But he won't be anywhere near contending for the GC whilst Brailsford is bustly turning Filippo Ganna into the next tour winning monster after next year's Olympics are out the way. Best for him to focus on the Giro anyway - the climbs there suit him better. 
  • stonemuse said:
    ColinTat said:

He might have a tour start in two years... But he won't be anywhere near contending for the GC whilst Brailsford is bustly turning Filippo Ganna into the next tour winning monster after next year's Olympics are out the way. Best for him to focus on the Giro anyway - the climbs there suit him better. 
    That’s a good point, would like to see him in the Giro. 
  • edited September 2020
    And the Vuelta!  You'd imagine he'd ride Cyclo Cross Worlds and do the Classics, that may not suit a May start with the Giro.  Selfishly I'd love to see him ride the Giro and Vuelta!  Going by how he wants to race and the quality at Inneos, I'd guess it's classics and Vuelta.

Ganna's not shown in the mountains?  Won't he be the new more powerful Moscon?  If he climbs, blimey.
  • Who said time trialling was boring? 😏
    I got a week behind with my viewing so have only just caught up.  Got to be honest, I've never been the biggest fan of time trials, but that one was something else. Very well done Pogaca.  Congrats to Sam Bennett too, he well deserved that.