Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• Just a shame he's come through in possibly the best classic generation since Eddy Merx, Rik Van Looy and Roger De Vlaeminck.  Like you say think he's more suited to the Ardennes classics.

I watch the Grand Tours more and am hoping his talents work perfectly in them.  Was really hoping he'd do the Giro, but I suppose a full cyclox and classics season is a bit too close.
  • Yeah, he's definitely a Giro rider, no question. For a tiny lad he's absolutely explosive when he goes. That kick he has is almost cheat mode - and he's also got the reserves to do it again and again. I think he'll do the Giro next year as leader - he'll do the Vuelta this year, probably as support to Carapaz or whichever leader from Skineos has a shit Tour. Think he's tapped for Amstel and La Doyenne - would love to see him do well there.

He rides like Kwiato, and looks like him on the bike too. 
  • I'm more optimistic for the lad and I think he'll surprise a few people. Exactly the same things were being posted about Geoghegan Hart a coupe of years ago and now he's a GT winner.
  • French newspaper L’Equipe and Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad have compiled an updated list of the 20 male riders believed to earn the most in professional cycling

1. Chris Froome (Gbr) Israel Start-up Nation €5.5 million

Chris Froome finished more than eight minutes behind the peloton on the first stage of the Volta a Catalunya
  • Interesting film about the 1998 Tour on Sky at the moment called Racer. It is fiction but seems to offer some genuine insights into the world of professional cycling at that time.
  • Starting this Saturday.

Full Ineos Grenadiers squad: Geraint Thomas (GB), Richard Carapaz (Ecu), Tao Geoghegan Hart (GB), Jonathan Castroviejo (Spa), Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol), Dylan van Baarle (Ned), Luke Rowe (GB), Richie Porte (Aus)
  • Addickted said:
    Starting this Saturday.

Full Ineos Grenadiers squad: Geraint Thomas (GB), Richard Carapaz (Ecu), Tao Geoghegan Hart (GB), Jonathan Castroviejo (Spa), Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol), Dylan van Baarle (Ned), Luke Rowe (GB), Richie Porte (Aus)
    Strong squad … but can’t see past Pogacar and Roglic. 

I’m sure Ineos will get podium, one of Thomas or Carapaz.  

Start of race should be ideal for Alaphilippe. Hopefully the winds are back or could be a little boring at times. Looking forward to the ‘double’ Ventoux stage.  
  • Jumbo look weaker than the last 2 years, but they have to ride with a bit more risk.  They won't win with Roglic riding his usual 3rd week in GTs.  UAE will have Maijka and Mcnulty but I can not see either of them being able to effect against WVA or Porte/Tao/Carapaz on the upper slopes.

Pogacar won't gain so much time on the flattish ITTs.  It's perfect for a strong team to work over UAE.  It's going to be a very difficult Tour for Pogacar even though he looks in brilliant form.
  • Cav's in the tour squad for Quickstep, with Bennett's knee injury ruling him out
  • edited June 2021
    A bit of inside info tells me Mark Donovan is likely to be in the squad for DSM. A young British rider who could take a mountain stage if he gets in a break
  • Sponsored links:

• Shout out to my friend Fred Wright who has made the tour selection for Bahrain Victorious for his first tour (He finished La Veulta last year).

Really nice guy who I really hope makes it round, expect him to be on domestique duties with maybe the very occasional chance of getting in a break. 

I spent many a Thursday night down at Herne Hill Velodrome getting battered by him (and Ethan Hayter), so its a crumb of personal comfort to see that he's now doing it on cycling's biggest stage and I'm not complete shite! 
    I know one of the coaches for VCL - he clued me in to Fred a few years back along with Ethan and Leo. Amazing talent, and a massive future. Was at the caf when he was there on a training ride last year - surprised at how much bigger he was than most of the other lads round there - all the Olympic pathway lads are tiny, even most of the trackies.
  • Shout out to my friend Fred Wright who has made the tour selection for Bahrain Victorious for his first tour (He finished La Veulta last year).

Really nice guy who I really hope makes it round, expect him to be on domestique duties with maybe the very occasional chance of getting in a break. 

I spent many a Thursday night down at Herne Hill Velodrome getting battered by him (and Ethan Hayter), so its a crumb of personal comfort to see that he's now doing it on cycling's biggest stage and I'm not complete shite! 
    I know one of the coaches for VCL - he clued me in to Fred a few years back along with Ethan and Leo. Amazing talent, and a massive future. Was at the caf when he was there on a training ride last year - surprised at how much bigger he was than most of the other lads round there - all the Olympic pathway lads are tiny, even most of the trackies.
    He is an amazing talent, just don't ask him to change a flat :D ! (If the VCL coach was Jason, he'll know what I'm on about)  
  •   I remember listening to Eurosport radio and getting excited if a young British rider made the breakaway.  Those two made breakaways last year and almost rode it to the end.  Pretty incredible for 21yr old Brits.

The Vuelta had one of the best lineups last year, in terms if most were on top form and not riding into it as a second choice.  Be great to see Fred or Mark ride a breakaway in the TDF.  Just the level at a TDF is so much higher, with top riders much more ruthless.  Be great to see both of them just in the wind.
  • Had not been keeping up properly. Had not focussed on the Barharain Victorious manager and Adam Yates getting snapped into Ineos. 

Lopez (Movistar), someone from Ineos (Thomas, Porte, geoghan Harte), pogacar (UAE) or Roglic (jumbo-visna) for podium?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jun/23/tour-de-france-2021-full-team-by-team-guide

• Am I the only person who sees the daily Covid graphs and thinks that would make a good tdf stage?
    Glandon (wave 1), Lacets (wave 2), Galibier (wave 3) 😁😁😁
  • edited June 2021
    Am I the only person who sees the daily Covid graphs and thinks that would make a good tdf stage?
      Sssshhh Jonathan Vaughters would boycott a spiky stage.
  • ColinTat said:
    Am I the only person who sees the daily Covid graphs and thinks that would make a good tdf stage?
      Sssshhh Jonathan Vaughters would boycott a spiky stage.
    I’m assuming he’s been vaccinated by now, I mean I’m pretty sure he’s not afraid of needles
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    Nasty crash with 8km to go... Chris Froome involved

Wasnt getting up very quickly either
  • Great win from Alaphilippe, first Frenchman to win Stage 1 of the TDF for 20-years 
  • Idiot with the placard at the earlier crash should be arrested.
  • edited June 2021
    Really nasty crashes, Froome has just finished 12 minutes down. I’m not sure he will be back on his bike tomorrow.

• edited June 2021
    Addickted said:
    Idiot with the placard at the earlier crash should be arrested.
    This! Just catching up between matches. What a grade A moron. Ruining a rider's race on Day 1 due to a stupid bit of attention seeking.

Major crashes all over the shop today. 
  • Fantastic finish by Alaphillipe. Those two crashes were mental. Feel sorry for those who lost time. Hope no-one's seriously hurt.
  • Addickted said:
    Addickted said:
    Idiot with the placard at the earlier crash should be arrested.
    This! Just catching up between matches. What a grade A moron. Ruining a rider's race on Day 1 due to a stupid bit of attention seeking.

Major crashes all over the shop today. 

"We are suing this woman who behaved so badly," Tour deputy director Pierre-Yves Thouault told reporters, before that was confirmed to BBC Sport by organiser ASO.

"We are doing this so that the tiny minority of people who do this don't spoil the show for everyone," he added.

The message on the cardboard placard was saying 'hello' to her German grandparents. Muppet.

Good 
  • stonemuse said:
    Addickted said:
    Starting this Saturday.

Strong squad … but can’t see past Pogacar and Roglic. 

I’m sure Ineos will get podium, one of Thomas or Carapaz.  

Start of race should be ideal for Alaphilippe. Hopefully the winds are back or could be a little boring at times. Looking forward to the ‘double’ Ventoux stage.  
    No surprise but he was even stronger than I expected.