Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• I'm almost convincing myself that the peloton are offering up today's stage to Lotto Soudal...
    Cant see them catching him at this rate!!
  • Great finish for Cavendish..
  • CAV!!!
  • Part of me doesnt care what happens with England now
  • I think I woke the whole street up screaming when he crossed the line  :smiley:
  • Absolutely over the moon for him I thought that he was done a while ago. 
  • What a way to do it with them only catching the Lotto man right on the line!!

I was terrified he was going to win the sprint for second place
  • Dont know if they're going to suit the Sprinters but still another six "flat" stages to go

Cav only needs four of them ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow, just wow, what a great finish after 3 tough stages. Amazing no one would have bet on that in January 
  • Cav's in pieces during his interview. Don't think even he can believe it. 
  • Love the fact he even takes the Green Jersey with that win
  • Those who wrote him off can eat their words! 
    Cavendiiiiiiiiiiiiiish!!!
  • Love the fact he even takes the Green Jersey with that win
    Yup, even more special 
  • Disc brake and rim brake being used in the same race is a factor. Many pro's off record will tell you that. 
    Don't buy that at all. Had the same said years ago in amateur races - meta analysis shows no difference in the number of crashes since disc brakes were allowed. The only place it might cause a difference is when it's pissing down - rim brake bikes would be more likely to crash into disc brake bikes because they don't stop as quickly in the wet, and riders on disc brakes are able to brake a little later. Other than that, disc and rim brake stopping performance is the same in the dry. 

You do not need to buy it as I am not selling it. I am simply saying a lot of pro's will tell you if you ask them that the having disc brake and rim brake in same race, on a course such as yesterday, will contribute to crashes. 

• Disc brake and rim brake being used in the same race is a factor. Many pro's off record will tell you that. 
    Don't buy that at all. Had the same said years ago in amateur races - meta analysis shows no difference in the number of crashes since disc brakes were allowed. The only place it might cause a difference is when it's pissing down - rim brake bikes would be more likely to crash into disc brake bikes because they don't stop as quickly in the wet, and riders on disc brakes are able to brake a little later. Other than that, disc and rim brake stopping performance is the same in the dry. 

You do not need to buy it as I am not selling it. I am simply saying a lot of pro's will tell you if you ask them that the having disc brake and rim brake in same race, on a course such as yesterday, will contribute to crashes. 

A lot of pros will also tell you that bicarb lotion works through the skin (it doesn't), until recently they would have also said that light weight trumps aero (it doesn't), and that 23mm tyres are faster than 25s (they aren't).

Just because they race bikes doesn't mean they know much about them 
  • Part of me doesnt care what happens with England now
    I GOT TO HAVE BOTH :D
  • edited June 2021
    Although I would have loved the breakaway to have worked for Van Moer, I'm really delighted for that talented young breakthrough sprinter that DQS have brought to the Tour.

Seriously though, delighted for Mark Cavendish, I honestly think that having won today he'll get more this Tour, and I hope he makes it to the finish in Paris.  And,  it was lovely to see all the DQS riders working for him, and the delight they showed after the win.
    He's got a genuine shot at the green jersey if he can get round. There aren't many stages where sagan can mop up a load of points - and dqs have shown a lot of nous so far in the intermediates - they might block Sagan out of some of those too, even if Cav doesn't take them.

A contract for next year isn't an impossibility either now with Bennett leaving. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Although I would have loved the breakaway to have worked for Van Moer, I'm really delighted for that talented young breakthrough sprinter that DQS have brought to the Tour.

Seriously though, delighted for Mark Cavendish, I honestly think that having won today he'll get more this Tour, and I hope he makes it to the finish in Paris.  And,  it was lovely to see all the DQS riders working for him, and the delight they showed after the win.
    He's got a genuine shot at the green jersey if he can get round. There aren't many stages where sagan can mop up a load of points - and dqs have shown a lot of nous so far in the intermediates - they might block Sagan out of some of those too, even if Cav doesn't take them.

A contract for next year isn't an impossibility either now with Bennett leaving. 
    I agree, this year was really Bennett's big chance to impose himself a la Cavendish in his pomp.

With him not there, Cavendish has a real chance to show how his presence could be a win win for DQS in the Grand Tours, because as long as he can negotiate the mountains with "limited" support, he offers a tremendous option for a team that I think is on the verge of transferring Classics success on a consistent basis to the multi-week races.

Including removing much of the pressure from any, for example, French GC candidate.
  • Just caught up with that now without knowing the result, let out a huge yes at the end. What a day!
  • Fantastic finish, well pleased for Cav. Did feel sorry for Van Moer though. Leading so close to the end to wind up 49th. It can be a cruel sport.
  • edited June 2021
    One of my favourite moments in sport, ever. Probably the most emotional I’ve felt watching any cycling event. Lucky enough to have met Cav multiple times, although now I’ve retired that won’t happen again unfortunately. What a man! And I’m now an even bigger fan of Alaphillipe as well. 
    And with England beating Germany, and watching with German friends, I’m not sure I haven’t died and gone to heaven!
  • Just watched the race highlights show.

I knew what was going to happen. I cried when he got over the line.