Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• Options
    That’s not good … awful injuries. 

No way he’s back from that fit enough for a Grand Tour this year … not that cycling is now of prime relevance, he needs to recover and get well again. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    That’s not good … awful injuries. 

No way he’s back from that fit enough for a Grand Tour this year … not that cycling is now of prime relevance, he needs to recover and get well again. 
    Sadly you are right, but I would be concerned about his long term ability to compete and indeed whether they could be life changing injuries
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Nope... No Mark Cavendish this year. 

The cynic in me says that Merckx is Belgian... and so are Quick Step. :D

Who are we tipping for Yellow Jersey success 
  • Options

That was my first thought when I read some comments re the decision to leave him out last night.
  • Options

Tadej Pogačar, I honestly can't see anyone else.  I'll also be surprised if he only wins Yellow as well.
  • Options
    OK guys, you lot know much more about cycling than I ever will but I do enjoy the coverage of the big tours. Struggling to look past Pogacar for the win so who should be carrying the extra burden of my fiver e/w bet?

Thomas is looking back in some form but always seems to have a crash in him. Ben O'Connor at 30/1 seems a decent flutter to me, or am I wasting my cash? 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    OK guys, you lot know much more about cycling than I ever will but I do enjoy the coverage of the big tours. Struggling to look past Pogacar for the win so who should be carrying the extra burden of my fiver e/w bet?

Thomas is looking back in some form but always seems to have a crash in him. Ben O'Connor at 30/1 seems a decent flutter to me, or am I wasting my cash? 
    Roglic. Pogacar will win easily, but Roglic is a good bet for second. O'Connor is a good shout, but he won't have the team to go deep into the race - and Thomas won't even end up the protected rider at Skineos (it'll be Dani Martinez I think - or possibly even Pidcock if he's got over whatever put paid to his classics season, and can go deep into the third week (still an unknown at this point with him)) 
  • Options
    Not really surprised about Cav but disappointed. If I was one of the sponsors I would be spitting feathers though. The chance to have your logo on a pic of Cav winning the most stages ever would surely be better than just a possible green jersey win.
  • Options

Roglic. Pogacar will win easily, but Roglic is a good bet for second. O'Connor is a good shout, but he won't have the team to go deep into the race - and Thomas won't even end up the protected rider at Skineos (it'll be Dani Martinez I think - or possibly even Pidcock if he's got over whatever put paid to his classics season, and can go deep into the third week (still an unknown at this point with him)) 
    Agreed about Pogacar - Ineos have a strong team and very pleased to see Ganna & Pidcock there.

Fronted by the GC trio of 2018 Tour de France winner and 2022 Tour de Suisse champion Geraint Thomas, Tour of the Basque Country winner Dani Martinez, and multiple WorldTour stage race winner Adam Yates, the team is completed by Jonathan Castroviejo, Filippo Ganna, Tom Pidcock, Luke Rowe and Dylan van Baarle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Agreed about Pogacar - Ineos have a strong team and very pleased to see Ganna & Pidcock there.

Fronted by the GC trio of 2018 Tour de France winner and 2022 Tour de Suisse champion Geraint Thomas, Tour of the Basque Country winner Dani Martinez, and multiple WorldTour stage race winner Adam Yates, the team is completed by Jonathan Castroviejo, Filippo Ganna, Tom Pidcock, Luke Rowe and Dylan van Baarle.
    Cheers I didnt realise that Tom Pidcock has been chosen to go to the Tour this year.

Will keep an eye on him, as he seems to be the next big hope for a Major Tour victory for Great Britain
  • Options
    I don’t think Pog will win this year. Streets ahead of everyone as a Grand Tour rider, but you also need a bit of luck and for things to go your way regularly over 3 weeks. I’ve just got a feeling he’ll be unlucky at some point.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Stick my neck out and go ... Ben O'Connor or Caleb Ewan or Michael Matthew or Jack Haig ... 
  • Options
    So, no-one picking any of the French riders????

There's an Irish legal/sports Twitter person who has a (mock) serious Thibaut Pinot man-crush (based on being a FDJ fan), and I'd quite like to see a Frenchman at least in contention (not that I think any are in that kind of shape).

I think COVID will have a huge impact, as in the Tour de Suisse, and I would not be surprised to see a few unexpected names make it through as last-minute replacements before the race starts.
  • Options
    This is a good listen - Ned Boulting and David Millar launch a new strand of disorderly TDF analysis, from a car, every day, with Pete Kennaugh.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/522214/10884051?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=campaign&_kx=QXRxo0tgeh61GHm7Iyi-kIVyvnstg6lVYIpnhTpi9AA%3D.R3Ntyv
  • Options
    Anyone heading over next Tuesday the tour finishing in calais leaving dunkirk
  • Options
    Impressive start by VdP but almost matched by Roglic in the rain.  

Definitely going to be more crashes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow Ganna then Van Aert 
  • Options
    Good ride by Pogacar
  • Options
    Ganna didn’t have the same aggression on corners as van Aert
  • Options
    Might dry out by the time Tom Pidcock comes out. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Might dry out by the time Tom Pidcock comes out. 
    Hope so
  • Options
    Wonder why Thomas was so far behind on the first half … sounds like his second half was superb 
  • Options
    Lampart… didn’t expect that 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Wonder why Thomas was so far behind on the first half … sounds like his second half was superb 
    Interesting interview with him … sounds like he was given bad advice on how to start 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    Interesting interview with him … sounds like he was given bad advice on how to start 
    Negative split, innit
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    Negative split, innit
    Bit of a mistake that he was still wearing his gilet… unusual for that to be missed by the team.