Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• 2 people winning 10 stages between them has made today a very different stage than it would normally be.  Especially as those 2 must be massive favourites for the last 2 days. 
  • Mark certainly doesnt appear too stressed today :)

• Great to see Merckx greet Cav at the start 
  • edited July 2021
    stonemuse said:
    Great to see Merckx greet Cav at the start 
    It was lovely, and indicated the class of both parties.
  • It turns out Cavendish and Merckx have known each other for years - Merckx told a story earlier in the tour that Cavendish was one of several riders who used to sleep at his place when he was riding criteriums when he was starting out as a pro.
  • For the first time in years, I'm genuinely looking forward to the final stage into Paris (until now, it's just been a question of hoping for an unlikely breakaway to come good).

I'm delighted at how much Deceuninck-QuickStep have invested in Cavendish this year, as evidenced by their position in the team competition, and not since 1991's Belgian Grand Prix, when I was willing Andrea diCesaris to catch and pass Senna's McLaren (only for his engine to blow, because no-one from Ford had mentioned that the new Cosworth needed more oil than the version previously used), have I wanted an individual to cross the finish line first more than Mark Cavendish.
  • For the first time in years, I'm genuinely looking forward to the final stage into Paris (until now, it's just been a question of hoping for an unlikely breakaway to come good).

I'm delighted at how much Deceuninck-QuickStep have invested in Cavendish this year, as evidenced by their position in the team competition, and not since 1991's Belgian Grand Prix, when I was willing Andrea diCesaris to catch and pass Senna's McLaren (only for his engine to blow, because no-one from Ford had mentioned that the new Cosworth needed more oil than the version previously used), have I wanted an individual to cross the finish line first more than Mark Cavendish.
    👍
  • It really would be fairytale territory for Cav to take win number 35 in green in Paris.
    Hope we get a better result then we got last Sunday
  • edited July 2021
    Just finished listening to his Profile on Radio 4 (what can I say, I'm a pretentious twat), really good about Mark Cavendish, if anything could make me want him to win tomorrow's stage more, I don't know what it is...

Listen. On BBC Sounds.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    What did we all make of Cavendish's reaction to the mechanic yesterday?

Clip below for those who havent seen it

Should add though that Cavendish has already apologised for it

• What did we all make of Cavendish's reaction to the mechanic yesterday?

Storm in a teacup ... Cav apologised, no story 
  • edited July 2021
    Just finished listening to his Profile on Radio 4 (what can I say, I'm a pretentious twat), really good about Mark Cavendish, if anything could make me want him to win tomorrow's stage more, I don't know what it is...

Listen. On BBC Sounds.
    Thanks, I will have a listen to that.
  • What did we all make of Cavendish's reaction to the mechanic yesterday?

I’m not sure of the circumstances behind it and in a normal workplace I think you would probably say he should not have reacted like that. I do think sport is slightly different and understand many might disagree with that, but passion and sheer determination and doggedness can lead to winning, but can also lead to over reaction when things don’t go so well.
    I know a rider who was in a break in the Women’s Giro when she started getting shift problems and had to stop and get a bike change while the break carried on up the road and she ended up back in the main peloton. The cause of the problem was the mechanic had not charged her Di2 and it had started running out of juice and shutting down certain functions. Women’s racing is quite different to men’s racing in that regardless how your team leader is doing your overall position is still seen as important to future contracts. If I had been her I think I would have been apoplectic with rage, she just shrugged it off as a mistake and one of those things.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Have I tuned in to master chef by mistake?  Where is egg head Wallace? 
    Hubby has just come home with goats cheese, lardons & panini’s after watching yesterday’s tour 😂😂😂
    Panini. PANINI. PANINI!!!  It’s already the plural, like graffito and graffiti. 

Rant over. Enjoy your sandwich. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Have I tuned in to master chef by mistake?  Where is egg head Wallace? 
    Hubby has just come home with goats cheese, lardons & panini’s after watching yesterday’s tour 😂😂😂
    Panini. PANINI. PANINI!!!  It’s already the plural, like graffito and graffiti. 

Rant over. Enjoy your sandwich. 
    It's just a relief that you didn't spot the apostrophe...
  • I'm sure it's all under control, but the nerves are beginning to get to me...
  • I'm sure it's all under control, but the nerves are beginning to get to me...
    Yup... Was calm a few minutes ago but getting nervous now
  • They have set it up... 
  • Bollix!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• 😭😭
  • edited July 2021
    Damnit... Next year!! - Just couldnt find his way through
  • Such a shame ... still one of his greatest tours, maybe the best 
  • edited July 2021
    Green Jersey though... and equalled the record!!

Gettting a bit emotional thinking about it, just impossible seven months ago
  • Lost his lead out man 
  • Right. Back to the beers in the hot, hot sun, I can't imagine what could go wrong...
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Tbf not many people win a time trial, a mountain stage and a bunch sprint in the same tour. 
    Yup, he’s quite special 
  • Had to be a fellow Belgian that stopped Cavendish though... Bet Merckx paid 'im off!! :D
  • Ahh gutted by that. Hope he has another chance next year to get the 35th.