Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• Options
    Great start to the tour first time brothers have finished 1st and 2nd since 1919
  • Options
    Great start to the tour first time brothers have finished 1st and 2nd since 1919
    Oh thats rubbish... there was me hoping, and thinking it was a first
  • Options
    Probably the first twins
  • Options
    Probably the first twins
    And first for the opening stage and yellow jersey?
  • Options
    I've just been reading about 1919, the Pelissier brothers finished 1-2 in stage 2 with Henri beating Francis and then 1-2 again in stage 3, this time Francis beating Henri

I suspect we're not going to see the Yates' replicating that
  • Options
    rina said:
    I've just been reading about 1919, the Pelissier brothers finished 1-2 in stage 2 with Henri beating Francis and then 1-2 again in stage 3, this time Francis beating Henri

I think the betting regulators and the police would get involved in that case!
  • Options
    rina said:

That's interesting, because as a sport it seems to be filled with people giving way to others for one reason or another. All sorts of temporary allegiances are formed and tacit agreements made, most of which I'm sure we never hear of. What would they have to go on if Simon came in ahead of Adam?
  • Options
    Plus, even if it did happen, I don't see how it would be by any agreement or conspiracy anyway. Imagine how competitive you'd have to be to make it to the top echelons of professional cycling. That doesn't sound like the sort of person who would give a race away to a twin bother for the sake of family unity. And I can't imagine someone that competitive being very happy living the rest of his life with the thought that his biggest race win ever came because his brother gifted it to him.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Stig said:
    I can't imagine someone that competitive being very happy living the rest of his life with the thought that his biggest race win ever came because it was gifted it to him.
    Part of me keeps hoping that Cavendish might be gifted his 35th win, especially if its in Paris

Equally though, you have to listen to how he speaks about the Tour - If you can claim you've won a single Stage at the Tour, then you've pretty much got it made in Cycling. So be ridiculous for someone to hand over a Stage win, as they'll never know if they'll ever be in that scenario again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    rina said:

Do they get involved in Formula One when the junior driver is told to let the senior one through? 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    rina said:

Do they get involved in Formula One when the junior driver is told to let the senior one through? 
    F1 is primarily a Constructor Sport... It just so happens that the Drivers Championship gets more prestige.

Its why Red Bull wont hesitate to get rid of Perez, if they feel he cant help deliver the WCC

Formula 2 would be a better example - Vesti came up behind his team mate Bearman in todays race... They were on different strategies and Vesti was the "race leader" - Bearman had absolutely no obligation to simply let him by (although he did), because team orders don't exist in the Junior Series.
  • Options
    Great cat and mouse ending to the Stage.
  • Options
    Great finish 
  • Options
    Funny seeing Pogacar taking the piss out of van Aert's reaction during the warm down.

Good to see Pidcock in P4
  • Options
    fantastic finish but poor form from vingergaard at the end imo
  • Options
    There was a race recently can’t remember which one where two UAE riders were ahead of the bunch and rolled across the finish one slightly ahead of the other to take first and second. It was shown afterwards just before that them playing rock, paper, scissors to decide who won. I think they got sanctioned for it later, but can’t remember.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I'm not going to enjoy a single Sprint this Tour

Nope not today as suspected
  • Options
    Cav looked good and was happy at the end … good sign 
  • Options
    Tomorrows sprint suits him more 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2023
    stonemuse said:
    Tomorrows sprint suits him more 
    Don't think I can bear it if we have to wait for him to make it all the way to Paris, but it would be such a fitting climax if he makes it through the mountains and does it on the Champs.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow though. The sooner the better. 🤞
  • Options
    Saw a tweet after the Sprint... Cavendish's top speed was slightly faster than Philipsen

So the speed is there for him
  • Options
    Got to like Cav and how he wears his heart on his sleeve and won’t tolerate journalists provocative questioning.

I think he held back from getting into a dangerous position today, I’m sure if an opportunity presented itself he would have gone for it, but that finish could easily have ended up with someone in the barriers and tour over. If he’s got the legs and today and the end of the Giro looks like he has then I’m sure he will get his chance and take it. Would be a fitting end to an amazing career.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    DAMNIT... He hesitated!! - Was forced to check as he sprung his Sprint
  • Options
    Yup, not his best finish 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Really thought he had it in the bag, with how far forward he was at that final turn.

Least he didnt go down
  • Options
    Just watched the interview with Cavendish on ITV4

The best consolation if he doesn't win a Stage, is the fact that he appears to be having the time of his life, as he comes to the end of his career.
  • Options
    Loved the comment from Cadel Evans that he finds it amazing that sprinters notice every milli-second of action around them and can react so quickly