Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• Options
    a possibly controversial opinion and one that would be difficult to implement- Van de Poel was relegated today for his actions while leading out Philipsen so surely Philipsen has gained an unfair advantage to win the sprint, maybe he should also be relegated?
  • Options
    rina said:
    a possibly controversial opinion and one that would be difficult to implement- Van de Poel was relegated today for his actions while leading out Philipsen so surely Philipsen has gained an unfair advantage to win the sprint, maybe he should also be relegated
    If a lead out man is guilty of an infringement from which his sprinter gets an advantage, I'm not sure what the commissioners could find the sprinter himself guilty of. There's a cross over between individual and team performance, but I doubt Van de Poel was acting on team orders. Would it make a difference if he had been? Doesn't it just go down as hard luck on those disadvantaged.

What happens in motor racing in similar circumstances (& don't say the lead out man gets run over and shouldn't be on the circuit 😉)
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    rina said:
    a possibly controversial opinion and one that would be difficult to implement- Van de Poel was relegated today for his actions while leading out Philipsen so surely Philipsen has gained an unfair advantage to win the sprint, maybe he should also be relegated
    If a lead out man is guilty of an infringement from which his sprinter gets an advantage, I'm not sure what the commissioners could find the sprinter himself guilty of. There's a cross over between individual and team performance, but I doubt Van de Poel was acting on team orders. Would it make a difference if he had been? Doesn't it just go down as hard luck on those disadvantaged.

What happens in motor racing in similar circumstances (& don't say the lead out man gets run over and shouldn't be on the circuit 😉)
    Its always been a difficult situation in road racing, it’s an individual sport in terms of results, but the reality is it’s very much a team sport. When Richie Porte was riding for Sky and went back to the team car, past the allowed feeding point to get a gel for Froome when he had bonked on a the alp du’Huez, Froome got rightly sanctioned a fine and 20 seconds as it was him that benefitted but Porte who had committed the violation.

That was pretty clear cut and it would have been ridiculous not to apply the time penalty to Froome. But today’s situation is much more subjective, Phillipsen can not see what is going on behind and certainly couldn’t have asked for it in the moment, so in a technically individual sport could not really be sanctioned?
  • Options
    Vingegaard is absolutely nuking Pogacar here
  • Options
    Vingegaard is absolutely nuking Pogacar here
    Yup, making it look easy 
  • Options
    Wonder if recovery from that broken wrist for Pogi isn't helping him this year
  • Options
    could be
  • Options
    cracking stage today, you've got to love a mountain stage with 2 greats going head to head. they're taking it in turns to look ridiculously strong, this is turning into a great tour
  • Options
    rina said:
    cracking stage today, you've got to love a mountain stage with 2 greats going head to head. they're taking it in turns to look ridiculously strong, this is turning into a great tour
    These two going head to head is something special.  
  • Options
    Such a good stage … wide open again 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure Jumbo got it right today with the strategy but take nothing away from Pog after people were questioning his fitness 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    jamescafc said:
    Not sure Jumbo got it right today with the strategy but take nothing away from Pog after people were questioning his fitness 
    That's why Jumbo got it wrong they expected to drop him when they dropped Yates et al.
  • Options
    One of my favourite ever stages that.
    What a Tour!
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Love this from Cavendish at the end... Saying that he knows what he's doing all these years, and has been deliberately finishing Stages, just inside the time to preserve energy.

Could have admitted that a few years ago, to save on the stress

• Options
    edited July 2023
    NOOOOOOOOO - I thought he'd done it!!

What speed from Philipsen
  • Options
    fuck sake again
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    First time I've ever seen Cavendish beaten once he's gone clear

The line just didnt get there quick enough - Seeing a lot of Social Media saying that Philipsen should be relegated for blocking another rider

See what people mean, the way he's leaning against another rider on the left with the barrier so close - Am sure Cav has been as bad, if not worse over the years, but Jasper is all over the place
  • Options
    I was on a work call so I'm glad he didn't do it today.
  • Options
    Philipsen just so strong, his turn of pace once he saw Cav come through looked worryingly effortless 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mark has said in his Interview that his Gear jumped during the Sprint.

So basically would have won, but for a mechanical
  • Options
    One hell of a finish from Cavendish, I hope he's right about the gear (because he was bossing it until then).
  • Options
    It was obvs something went on the bike. Hubby shouted 'gears' as soon as it happened.
    Gutted for him.
  • Options
    Mark has said in his Interview that his Gear jumped during the Sprint.

So basically would have won, but for a mechanical
    That’s annoying 
  • Options
    Cav’s gone down looks very much like a broken clavicle to me, being treated on the side of the road now, looks like the end. Such terrible news

• Options
    In an Ambulance now and abandoned. Feel so gutted for him
  • Options
    In an Ambulance now and abandoned. Feel so gutted for him
    Shit luck that! 
  • Options
    Nooo... thats not how it was supposed to end
  • Options
    Nooo... thats not how it was supposed to end
    Agree....but to equal Eddie Merckx record was some achievement.
  • Options
    Just caught up … what a shit way to finish … didn’t even look that bad a crash