Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sweden v England

Comments

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

This Dier/Sterling scapegoating is getting on my fcuking tits.

Get behind the lads FFS. Be positive, have some belief.

Also, hope Dier doesn't start - no offence to the lad but he'd get shown up even vs. Sweden.

Ok, he's not had the best world cup so far even I admit that but to say he'd get shown up? He's yet to be shown up in either the PL or Champions League. Have you not watched Spurs since he signed in 2014? He has been one of our most consistent performers and one of the first names on the team sheet, at centre mid or centre back.
    I can't remember where I read or heard this, I think it was Barney Ronay of The Guardian, but what Sterling does for England is so drastically different than what he does for City. At City he presses high up the pitch and when they win it back he usually gets the ball with space in front of him facing the opposition goal. Or, if teams sit deep he can get the ball wide and run at players, or have little interchanges with the other attacking players.

For England he starts centrally high up the pitch and either makes runs in behind or drops off with his back to goal to lay it off for other players. The two things are worlds apart.

Now I don't think he's been brilliant, but I think he's been very good at making space for others. He's not the type to take the team on his shoulders and win it singlehandedly, he's more the type that nits things together. But I think he's done that. And I think his lack of attacking prowess is because he gets the ball either with his back to goal, or being marked by two or three players, or both. And that's often intentional. And for me there is no one else in the squad (apart from Kane) who can do those things. I think if England had a better, more creative midfield he'd look much better but Southgate can't conjure up a playmaker unfortunately.
  • Options

Just had my second nervous shit wank of the day!

Come on England, let's do this.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Woke up with absolute nerves of steel this morning. You know when you just get that funny feeling of pure confidence when you just know...? Only ever had it a few times, last one was Portsmouth away last season.

Don't think I've ever felt it as an England fan before in tournament footy til now. That's not taking Sweden lightly or anything I know they are decent, but I just know it we are going to win this football match.
  • Options

Woke up with absolute nerves of steel this morning. You know when you just get that funny feeling of pure confidence when you just know...? Only ever had it a few times, last one was Portsmouth away last season.

Don't think I've ever felt it as an England fan before in tournament footy til now. That's not taking Sweden lightly or anything I know they are decent, but I just know it we are going to win this football match.

I am not comfortable with this level of optimism.

I'm going for a pre match nerves jog. My prediction is 3-0 to Sweden with a Marcus Berg hattrick.
  • Options
    Can someone please confirm that it is a 15:00 BST kick-off
  • Options
    edited July 2018

yeah that's 100% the kick off time
  • Options

Going to be tight, 1-0 either way, or pens. Of course, we're on a roll now with shootouts.

Good piece in today's Grau:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/06/gareth-southgate-world-cup-england-best-opportunities-we-ever-have

Was about to post this. Excellent interview. Well worth a read.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Kicks off in just over two hours from now. Two hours and eight minutes.
  • Options
    2 hours till kick off.

It's coming home.
  • Options

2 hours till kick off.

It's coming home.

2 hours till kick off

I'm going down the suppliers. Ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

2 hours till kick off.

It's coming home.

2 hours till kick off

I'm going down the suppliers. Ffs
    You still in grove park mate.
  • Options

Fire alarm went off at the Sweden hotel this morning...

That seems to happen all the time before a big football match to one of the teams. Blatantly an England fan on the wind up
  • Options

Yes, I feel worryingly confident too
  • Options

Heading down to The park now, absolutely bricking it.

Should be a good crowd of Brits out tonight.

It's coming home.

The Park?

• Options

Heading down to The park now, absolutely bricking it.

Should be a good crowd of Brits out tonight.

It's coming home.

The Park?

Grove Park
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    England team is unchanged from the Colombia match.
  • Options
    Slightly surprised as Dele has looked slightly off the pace this tournament after that early knock
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Would have liked to have seen RLC come in for a seemingly not fully fit Alli - he just looks off the pace and RLC is full of power and energy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oxlaide Chamberlain in Alli's role would be absolutely perfect. Shame.
  • Options
    Loving this BBC intro with The National music in background.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Ohh what song?
  • Options
    Talal said:

Just starting blabbing like a baby when that finished. Honestly.

Christ. This is massive.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    SDAddick said:

Talal said:

Ohh what song?
    "England" instrumental :smile:
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Talal said:

Just starting blabbing like a baby when that finished. Honestly.

Christ. This is massive.
    Got goosebumps, felt chills on such a boiling day.
  • Options

Just had my second nervous shit wank of the day!

Come on England, let's do this.

Bragging now...
  • Options
    Hope Alli and Sterling don't keep falling over this time.
  • Options
    Good luck England.
    You have 50/50 chance of being in the semi finals of a World Cup.
    Some players have to show more quality.
    Southgate seems to be very loyal, I hope it's paid back with interest.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    ok I'm having a bit of a pre-match wobble now. Cold beer time to soothe the nerves