Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    I've been on a gluten free diet for four days. 

How do you vegans do it. I'm having to force myself to like greggs vegan sausage rolls 
    I’ve reduced my gluten by 80% (and done nothing else) and have dropped 1.5 stone in 8 weeks. 

Are vegans allowed to have dogs which have been domesticated for our own pleasure ?
    Vegans can do what they want since it isn't actually a defined term. So you can have pets and call yourself a vegan.

Vegetarian is specifically a dietary preference that you do not consume produce from a slaughtered animal.
    Given there is little difference in calorific value between gluten free and normal bread cutting out gluten has no effect on weight loss.  You more likely just eat less starch and replace it with less fattening foods.

Gluten is the new food scapegoat, its bad for celiacs so it must be bad for me, says so on the internet.  Why do people not apply the same logic to cutting nuts out of their diet on the basis that it kills some people in minutes of being ingested?

Why people are buying into the myth encouraged by the big food manufacturers who can make twice the profit from cheap added fat and sugar escapes me.  Saw an advert the other day proclaiming gluten free shampoo, if you are not celiac and think gluten free bread is healthier I guess there are people out there who apply the same dumb logic to shampoo.

• Options
    I eat a fair few meals without meat and enjoy them but have just tried some quorn sausages my wife had cooked for herself. How on earth anyone can think they taste nice is beyond me, they were vile.
    Yeah, Quorn when it's processed into burgers, sausages etc is horrible. The only passable iteration is the grillsteaks - but even they're grim (just about edible if you eat them with sriracha or pepper sauce). Quorn itself is OK as a substitute for mince in bolognese and lasagna - where the taste of the sauce overpowers the blandness of the quorn.

Those vegan alternative burgers/bakes you can get are really good though. Tesco do a pumpkin & sweet potato one by a company called Vivera that is lush - and a really quick meal if you just chuck some peppers and onions in a pan with them. Don't make the mistake of getting the 'veggie burger' by the same people though, that's as grim as a Quorn burger.

Another quick meal is one of these bad boys - Moroccan spiced bake with some of this - Spanish-style grains & rice and some sliced Avocado
  • Options
    I eat a fair few meals without meat and enjoy them but have just tried some quorn sausages my wife had cooked for herself. How on earth anyone can think they taste nice is beyond me, they were vile.
    Yeah, Quorn when it's processed into burgers, sausages etc is horrible. The only passable iteration is the grillsteaks - but even they're grim (just about edible if you eat them with sriracha or pepper sauce). Quorn itself is OK as a substitute for mince in bolognese and lasagna - where the taste of the sauce overpowers the blandness of the quorn.

Those vegan alternative burgers/bakes you can get are really good though. Tesco do a pumpkin & sweet potato one by a company called Vivera that is lush - and a really quick meal if you just chuck some peppers and onions in a pan with them. Don't make the mistake of getting the 'veggie burger' by the same people though, that's as grim as a Quorn burger.

Another quick meal is one of these bad boys - Moroccan spiced bake with some of this - Spanish-style grains & rice and some sliced Avocado

Those bakes look nice. I seem to find that it's the products that are trying to be something they're not (sausages, burgers, chicken fillets etc) that taste rank. Meals that don't have meat substitutes in them are far better.

My wife makes a lovely sweet potato & spinach curry and sweetcorn chowder, amongst others.

I sometimes add chicken to the chowder though, which kind of defeats the object!

• Options
    Note how Packham says "Your food related Carbon Footprint"

Don't read it as just your carbon footprint.
  • Options
     Dazzler21 said:

Ha ha, yeah like I turned vegan and my car stopped working ;)
  • Options
    What is Oumph?

Basically a quorn alternative?
  • Options
    Stig said:
     Dazzler21 said:

Ha ha, yeah like I turned vegan and my car stopped working ;)
    You just know some ill informed melon will read it that way though!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvtVkNofcq8

Watch in HD. The hidden truth behind UK animal farming - featuring approximately 100 facilities across the UK and never before seen undercover footage.

• Options
    Any evidence in soya milk giving me man boobs? Ive been on soya or oat milk for a few months and someone said soya produces more estrogen in men or something. Any advice appreciated as i dont want man boobs... 
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvtVkNofcq8

Watch in HD. The hidden truth behind UK animal farming - featuring approximately 100 facilities across the UK and never before seen undercover footage.

The video is two years old with footage from 4/4+ Years old.

Not sure that video will get to people the way you want it to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any evidence in soya milk giving me man boobs? Ive been on soya or oat milk for a few months and someone said soya produces more estrogen in men or something. Any advice appreciated as i dont want man boobs... 
    Must be the same thing for beer and chips. If only I’d have known earlier.....
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    You need a vpn set to usa to access it. Basically states no.

Carter said:
    I've been consciously eating far less meat than ever since I last gave a considered post to this thread. I maintain that when I do eat a meal with meat I always go for good quality organic non processed meat. It's more expensive but I feel better for it and my digestive health after taking a bit of time getting used to all the vegetables I was eating is now improved. 

what i will say to anyone and i seriously think we all have a stake (pun unintended) in eating less extensively farmed meat, the facts don't lie and whilst I don't have kids I do think about other peoples kids future in terms of what we are doing to the planet. The last few times I have had a set meal choice somewhere I have gone for the vegetarian or vegan option and found them to look, smell and taste a lot nicer than the stock chicken or fish options. Fresher too

Also give some of the vegan places cropping up everywhere a go, that is a good way of having a nice vegan or vegetarian meal with real flavour rather than a plain baked potato or whatever other stereotypical meal most of us have in our heads whenever we think of something not containing meat. 

In terms of protein, most of us if we properly researched what we ate will find we have a surplus of that in our diets anyway. 

Dairy is a struggle though, I have embraced coconut milk over cows milk but I detest vegan cheese on it's own and would really miss cheese full stop so I apologise to the cows involved in dairy farming but their milk is too nice. 

Sorry Carter that's not entirely true. Most processed meats contain a lot of connective tissues etc and the protein content on the label is often inflated beyond expectations.

Many people eat over the daily minimum, but the higher the protein levels the more reduced cravings are for 'bad foods' it also reduces muscle catabolism, which means less muscle wastage.

From a healthy active lifestyle P.O.V,  1 gram of protein to 1 kg of body weight would be beneficial.

If you're looking to build muscle then 1.2-1.6g would be ideal depending on goals. 
  • Options
    Oh didn't realise that link was USA only, I have my V P N on 24/
  • Options
    Amongst other tasks I had today I had to euthanise one of my next door neighbours chickens this morning and I can say it was not pleasant. My only point of reference was watching a very old relative do this when I was a young boy and whilst it had a quick end the reaction of the birds body in the immediacy was horrible

They generally have the decency to die of old age in their sleep the chooks next door. So I'm off chicken for a while at least!

I reckon if we had to kill, gut, pluck, skin animals ourselves for meat most of us would be vegetarian but I don't think that is a revelation 

Had a vegetable biriyani for dinner tonight and it was excellent. Dairy is still my stumbling block and the heat I put into the biryani dictated that a glass of milk was necessary for my tongue afterwards and a mini milk ice lolly will probably be screamed for by my poor little balloon knot tomorrow 
  • Options

From today's Guardian :

Profits at Dr Martens surged by 70% in the year to the end of March, boosted by the success of designs such as its “vegan” range of boots. Sales of the vegan range – which replaces the leather upper with synthetic polyurethane plastic – have increased by “multiple hundreds of percent” in recent years, according to its chief executive, Kenny Wilson. Vegan boots now account for 4% of the shoemaker’s sales, amid increasing awareness of the environmental impact of livestock among consumers.

Stand by for stinky feet.
  • Options

From today's Guardian :

Profits at Dr Martens surged by 70% in the year to the end of March, boosted by the success of designs such as its “vegan” range of boots. Sales of the vegan range – which replaces the leather upper with synthetic polyurethane plastic – have increased by “multiple hundreds of percent” in recent years, according to its chief executive, Kenny Wilson. Vegan boots now account for 4% of the shoemaker’s sales, amid increasing awareness of the environmental impact of livestock among consumers.

No thought about the impact of plastics in the environment. Nor do most  vegans think about the amount of rain forest being  ripped up to provide palm oil for their diet.

The truth about the environment is very simple. yes we eat to much red meat  but mainly because the population has grown beyond the capability of a sustainable level for the global environment.

If we look to reduce our world population to say the 1960's level when the UK only had 56 million and the US 200 million then we would stand a chance with sensible demands on the environment and greenhouse gas emission. I would hate to see an environment where pigs cows and sheep disappeared from our landscape.  As somebody said to me yesterday they produce methane but if you had a choice of sitting in a garage overnight with a car with its engine running or a couple of cows, I know which one I would choose. 

The elephant in the room, that very few politicians or environmentalists  talk about is the unsustainable size of the world population. 
  • Options
    I think you'll find most vegans are against Palm Oil due to the damage done to animal habitats in providing it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you will find that they eat anything with a Vegan label on it and not worry whether it has a palm oil derivative in the ingredients. 

However the main point stands, there are to many people on the planet  for it to be sustainable in the format we want to see. Either we accept the bleak future or we reduce population voluntarily.Tax  people with more than two children as well as reducing our carbon emissions  so that we can have a chance of carbon neutrality in the future.
  • Options
    Palm oil (or rather the production of) is a curse on this planet, the destruction caused by the industry is heartbreaking. Annoyingly it can be labelled as ‘vegetable oil’ so is everywhere. I try to avoid anything that I think it may have it in (even if labelled as from a sustainable source) but it’s hard.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Are synthetic polyurethane plastic boots more environmentally friendly than leather boots ?
    When at the end of their useful life, which item would biodegrade ?
    Genuine questions. I don't know the answer.
  • Options

Bizarre. Who are you to state that I give 'No thought'? I thought things through decades ago and became a vegan for numerous reasons. Palm oil monoculture worries me, as does plastic in the environment. 

I, too, would not wish for a world devoid of pigs and cows. I visit them at an animal sanctuary, where they live out their lives free of persecution and strife.  

https://friendfarmanimalsanctuary.org

promoting Polyurethane uppers for doc martens  rather than leather  does not make sense if we are trying to remove plastic from our environment. The use of degradeable fabric or natural material such as leather is more sustainable and possibly  less damaging to the environment.  You will soon find that the concept of putting cows in an animal sanctuary will become derided and the demands that these animals, that have been bred as a food source, will disappear even from the zoos.
    Palm oil from plantation can be marketed as vegetable oil and as being from a sustainable source, so it should worry you. However the main thing that should worry you is the rate of population growth on the planet which will undo all of our efforts to restore the planet to some level of balance.
  • Options
    I think you will find that they eat anything with a Vegan label on it and not worry whether it has a palm oil derivative in the ingredients. 

However the main point stands, there are to many people on the planet  for it to be sustainable in the format we want to see. Either we accept the bleak future or we reduce population voluntarily.Tax  people with more than two children as well as reducing our carbon emissions  so that we can have a chance of carbon neutrality in the future.
    My office has plenty of vegans. I can assure you they give more care to a label than the average consumer. 

I get regular lectures on things i thought were fine to eat in front of them, but even when they're not animal bi-products, they have hugely negative impacts on animal habitats or from the fit ones, they're detrimental to your own health.

We're talking about people that remind us daily that they're superior to us as they are truly compassionate to all sentient life and even in some cases non sentient life. 

It makes me question my diet regularly but I'm lazy when it comes to food so I continue to fail them.

• Options
    @Dazzler21 - I very rarely mention the fact I’m vegan when I’m at work, only really gets brought up with new people. If I’m honest I’m the type of fella who just wants to sit and quietly have his dinner whilst doing a sudoku not having ethical debates or thumping the tub. I don’t really have an interest in what others are eating but if the meat munchers do bring it on and try a get a rise then, well, it’s game on. Then we go back to brutalising ne’erdowells.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    @Dazzler21 - I very rarely mention the fact I’m vegan when I’m at work, only really gets brought up with new people. If I’m honest I’m the type of fella who just wants to sit and quietly have his dinner whilst doing a sudoku not having ethical debates or thumping the tub. I don’t really have an interest in what others are eating but if the meat munchers do bring it on and try a get a rise then, well, it’s game on. Then we go back to brutalising ne’erdowells.
     My work is for an animal welfare organisation so it’s kind of a given that Vegans have a point, the ones there are vociferous as a number of the directors are also Vegan, they pretty much get away with meat shaming because meat = cruelty... despite the canteen serving meat.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
     My work is for an animal welfare organisation so it’s kind of a given that Vegans have a point, the ones there are vociferous as a number of the directors are also Vegan, they pretty much get away with meat shaming because meat = cruelty

Now I’ve got it in context your experience makes sense. You fancy a job swap?