Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    MrOneLung said:
    kimbo said:
    Just eaten a Pret Bang Bang Broccoli Salad, assumed it was vegan and it isn't. Got some horrible gooey stuff (no idea what it is) absolutely disgusting

INGREDIENTS

Cos Lettuce, Long Stem Broccoli (16%), Edamame Soya Beans, Carrot & Mooli Slaw (Carrot, Mooli), Pickled Cabbage and Carrot Salad (Red Cabbage, Carrot, Sugar, Spirit Vinegar, Salt), Roasted Sesame Sauce (Mayonnaise (Rapeseed Oil, Water, Vinegar, Sugar, Stabiliser: Xanthan Gum; Modified Maize Starch, Dried Egg Yolk, Salt), Sugar, Tahini SesameSeed Paste, Tamari Sauce (Soya Bean, Water, Salt, Alcohol, Koji Rice), White Wine Vinegar, Water, Sesame Oil, Modified Maize Starch), Green Dressing (Sunflower Oil, Coconut Milk, Ginger Purée, Water, Coriander Leaf, White Wine Vinegar, Parsley, Spring Onion, Spinach Leaf, Sugar, Tamari Soya Sauce (Water, Soya Bean, Salt, Rice, Alcohol), Concentrated Lime Juice, Jalapeño Chili, Sea Salt, Lime Leaves, Garlic Purée), Lime, Sesame Seed Mix (Black and White Sesame Seeds), Mint, Chilli Salt (Paprika, Sea Salt, Chilli Flakes).

Are soya and sesame not vegan?

Got egg in it. I think the bold words are the allergens
    Makes sense, I couldnt think why those items were highlighted.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    MrOneLung said:
    kimbo said:
    Just eaten a Pret Bang Bang Broccoli Salad, assumed it was vegan and it isn't. Got some horrible gooey stuff (no idea what it is) absolutely disgusting

INGREDIENTS

Cos Lettuce, Long Stem Broccoli (16%), Edamame Soya Beans, Carrot & Mooli Slaw (Carrot, Mooli), Pickled Cabbage and Carrot Salad (Red Cabbage, Carrot, Sugar, Spirit Vinegar, Salt), Roasted Sesame Sauce (Mayonnaise (Rapeseed Oil, Water, Vinegar, Sugar, Stabiliser: Xanthan Gum; Modified Maize Starch, Dried Egg Yolk, Salt), Sugar, Tahini SesameSeed Paste, Tamari Sauce (Soya Bean, Water, Salt, Alcohol, Koji Rice), White Wine Vinegar, Water, Sesame Oil, Modified Maize Starch), Green Dressing (Sunflower Oil, Coconut Milk, Ginger Purée, Water, Coriander Leaf, White Wine Vinegar, Parsley, Spring Onion, Spinach Leaf, Sugar, Tamari Soya Sauce (Water, Soya Bean, Salt, Rice, Alcohol), Concentrated Lime Juice, Jalapeño Chili, Sea Salt, Lime Leaves, Garlic Purée), Lime, Sesame Seed Mix (Black and White Sesame Seeds), Mint, Chilli Salt (Paprika, Sea Salt, Chilli Flakes).

I just copied from Prets site. Bold is theirs. 
  • Options
    That's good i guess.

I'd prefer that all of the animal is used if any. 

Therefore if you kill a cow for meat, use the hide for leather.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    MrOneLung said:
    kimbo said:

INGREDIENTS

Honestly it was disgusting. The gooey stuff which I presume the egg yolk was horrible. 
  • Options
    Wankers. Respect their convictions but why do they have to try and force them onto others?
    As  someone who has avoided meat and fish for around 30 years I totally agree. Its people like these extremists that results in understandable annoyance and ridicule for all of us.

I'd love it if the whole would became veggie or vegan but it ain't happening.  Stick to fighting animal cruelty,  not meat eaters.
  • Options
    Another win for the respected w@nkers

Very clever from Greggs taking measures to do their best to protect their outlets from protesters.
  • Options
    Not sure if I’ve mentioned this before?

And honestly I don’t want to make a big deal out of this, it’s only something small I’ve decided to do, so please don’t anyone make a fuss but I’ve decided to go Vegan.

Really its nothing but just in case, I thought I’d better post, it’s nothing really, me going Vegan, honestly please don’t give it another thought that I’ve gone Vegan.

• Options
    I've done a full week now as a vegetarian or if splitting hairs pescatarian and found it pretty easy. 

I'll still eat meat if it is organic and not pumped full of water and antibiotics but seeing as its bloody hard to tell or totally trust food labelling it will probably be easier to stay vegetarian. 

Got in last night from a night up the west end and the temptation for a filthy donner was consuming me, so I tried up the shewarma vegan kebab 'meat' Id bought in the week and had that with a pitta bread and some chilli sauce. I was beyond pleasantly surprised, it was bloody lovely 

Quorn cocktail sausages and the scotch eggs are as good if not better tasting than ones with crappy gristly processed pork in them. I made a really nice salmon and poached egg fried rice during the week too. 

Like I've said before, dairy has beaten me and I've been eating a lot of cheese to replace meat mainly because vegan cheese is utterly disgusting but also because I would milk a cow whereas I doubt I would smash ones head in, gut it and butcher it myself. 

• Options
    Nice one Carter

-------

I rarely post in this thread, but enjoy swinging by to see evidence of the inevitable growth of a more ethical and sustainable way of eating 

I marvel at the haters popping by to rail against those making different decisions to themselves
  • Options
    Nice one Carter

-------

I rarely post in this thread, but enjoy swinging by to see evidence of the inevitable growth of a more ethical and sustainable way of eating 

I marvel at the haters popping by to rail against those making different decisions to themselves
    In my experience it is the vegans and vegetarians who are the 'haters' as there seems to be far more of a desire amongst them to control and influence what us omnivores wish to eat.

If you want to be a vegan or vegetarian fine go for it but don't try to interfere with my food choices.

If expressing that opinion is being a 'hater' then debate is dead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Nice one Carter

-------

In my experience it is the vegans and vegetarians who are the 'haters' as there seems to be far more of a desire amongst them to control and influence what us omnivores wish to eat.

If you want to be a vegan or vegetarian fine go for it but don't try to interfere with my food choices.

In my experience as a vegetarian, I almost never encounter other veggie folk preaching at meat eaters. In contrast, there seems to be a constant succession of people who want to tell me why they think it's a silly idea.

People joke that vegans are always forcing themselves on others. I find quite to opposite to be true. 

On a personal note, I see it as pretty pointless to try to convert people who have been eating meat all their lives to a life without meat. I don't really bother. I also don't bother trying to tell young people; plenty of them seem to be figuring it out for themselves. 
    You managed to keep the moral superiority out of it really well, but failed at the final hurdle...
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Nice one Carter

-------

In my experience as a vegetarian, I almost never encounter other veggie folk preaching at meat eaters. In contrast, there seems to be a constant succession of people who want to tell me why they think it's a silly idea.

People joke that vegans are always forcing themselves on others. I find quite to opposite to be true. 

On a personal note, I see it as pretty pointless to try to convert people who have been eating meat all their lives to a life without meat. I don't really bother. I also don't bother trying to tell young people; plenty of them seem to be figuring it out for themselves. 
    You managed to keep the moral superiority out of it really well, but failed at the final hurdle...
    ‘I almost never encounter other veggie folk preaching at meat eaters’

Proceeds to subtly do just that. It’s too easy sometimes ;)
  • Options
    If I'd said "plenty of them making up their own minds" would it have lead to less haters beating on me?

You have also proved my point
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Nice one Carter

-------

Vegetarianism is on the rise, I'm not sure stating facts is moral superiority!? I say that as someone who eats meat almost daily.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    LenGlover said:
    Nice one Carter

-------

Vegetarianism is on the rise, I'm not sure stating facts is moral superiority!? I say that as someone who eats meat almost daily.
    What did Morrisey say?;)
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    the town with the fewest meat consumers ? .. Tonbridge 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    the town with the fewest meat consumers ? .. Tonbridge 
    Interesting ... sort of ...  although I rather doubt they had a statistically significant number of randomly chosen participants in Tonbridge etc. to be able to make any localised conclusions.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/food-drink/the-uks-most-meat-reducing-towns-and-cities-revealed/05/09/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I bought some King Vegan Jerky yesterday as I was curious how disgusting it would be. It was actually superb! The most impressive thing was how they got the texture so right
  • Options
    I bought some King Vegan Jerky yesterday as I was curious how disgusting it would be. It was actually superb! The most impressive thing was how they got the texture so right
    This is the game changer for me too, the taste in a lot of meats is pure added spice and flavourings so we are then down to the texture which as demonstrated by the kebab 'meat' I had last week was spot on
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I've also tried the Kings Vegetarian Jerky (they currently don't manufacture a vegan version). It's not bad as a stand alone product but the texture is nothing like proper biltong. It's far too strandy.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I've also tried the Kings Vegetarian Jerky (they currently don't manufacture a vegan version). It's not bad as a stand alone product but the texture is nothing like proper biltong. It's far too strandy.
    Jerky and Biltong are different.

https://www.biltongstmarcus.co.uk/blog/jerky-vs-biltong/
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Dazzler21 said:

Jerky and Biltong are different.

https://www.biltongstmarcus.co.uk/blog/jerky-vs-biltong/

Agreed. Jerky is a poor alternative.

The texture is also nothing like Jerky.

• Options
    Chris Packham is in my office now... 

No idea why but probably to do with RSPCA Assured Products.