Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2019
    He was talking about climate change not stopping eating meat. 
  • Options
    Now I don't drink milk at all anymore, purely for my own reasons. 

But that clip is exactly what I imagine when I think of cow milk production.

Not sure why Vegans all believe non-vegans live in cloud cuckoo land and don't know what the process is for making animal products. Many if not most do.

I do agree if you don't know what goes into making your food, you shouldn't be eating it.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Now I don't drink milk at all anymore, purely for my own reasons. 

But that clip is exactly what I imagine when I think of cow milk production.

Not sure why Vegans all believe non-vegans live in cloud cuckoo land and don't know what the process is for making animal products. Many if not most do.

I do agree if you don't know what goes into making your food, you shouldn't be eating it.
    Yeah you are bang on 

I've reigned back my vegetarianism over the last couple of weeks. Went to a very very decent restaurant on holiday and had a steak, I also had some beef again today. 2 times eating meat in over a month isn't bad though and if everyone purposely did a few days meat free then things will start to improve mainly the horrendous amount of bowel and digestive health problems we seem to suffer from. 

The main reason for not eating meat started a few years ago in me desperately trying to find meat that hadn't been pumped full of water, then there was the challenge to tell the difference between "organic" and "this definitely hasn't been stuffed full of chemicals and antibiotics". So the easier way soon became clear was to not eat it and vote with my feet, or at least my stomach and wallet. 

The appetite for non dairy milk is there. I buy the most organically labelled milk I can but that's offset by a deep love of cheese. Sorry cows, I'll try harder in future 
  • Options
    Yeah let’s destroy the Amazon to grow soya beans and end animal suffering by making them all extinct.

If they were able to apply their intelligence more effectively they would be more concerned with preventing the extinction of pollinating bees and insects than promoting the extinction of domesticated animals. 

Only problem is the insecticides are necessary to provide sustainable plant crops - so unlikely to see any articles in the Guardian suggesting vegetarianism is not sustainable, damages the  environment and 100% vegetarianism would be no less catastrophic than climate change.

I’m starting a movement to prove that plants have feelings, have friends and suffer pain. Only white middle class university educated of morally superior disposition who believe anything appearing in the Guardian must be true and prepared to stop cruelly cremating innocent cannabis plants for pleasure allowed to join.
  • Options
    If you are vexed about the article, why not write to the newspaper setting out why you think the authors are incorrect?
    I can understand why an anarchist thinks opinions can be “incorrect”, and believes an end justifies the means,  but I am simply calling out hypocrisy.

• Options
    There's me thinking that all my milk came courtesy of the bird in the Eurovision song contest a few years back.

I'm devastated. ;)
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    There's me thinking that all my milk came courtesy of the bird in the Eurovision song contest a few years back.

I'm devastated. ;)
    You might want to rephrase that Len.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I’m starting a movement to prove that plants have feelings, have friends and suffer pain. Only white middle class university educated of morally superior disposition who believe anything appearing in the Guardian must be true and prepared to stop cruelly cremating innocent cannabis plants for pleasure allowed to join.
    As far as gammon responses go, this is textbook stuff. A*. 
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    It’s irony, not a response.

A response would be a vegan explaining why taking life away from plants differs from taking life away from animals, and when an animal is so small and inedible that killing it ceases to warrant the attention of animal rights advocates. 

I might be a vegan if there was a logic to the morality code I must follow to be true to my faith.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCOlly said:

A response would be a vegan explaining why taking life away from plants differs from taking life away from animals, and when an animal is so small and inedible that killing it ceases to warrant the attention of animal rights advocates. 

I might be a vegan if there was a logic to the morality code I must follow to be true to my faith.
    You sound as swivel-headed as Anna
  • Options
    I am interested in the moral debate regarding differentiation. The differentiation between plants and animals and the taking of life, and the differentiation between which creatures to eat and which not.
    It may be true that any logic to a morality code is flawed and has loopholes but it is prevalent everywhere. For carnivores/omnivores their red lines may be about eating rats, and especially eating people, but perhaps everything else is OK. Not especially logical but a carnivore/ omnivore line in the sand (which has been tested by shipwrecked sailors in the past), for vegetarians and vegans their red lines are differently placed.
    For me there is a distinctive difference between plants and animals, but I acknowledge they are both forms of life. I would liken that differentiation as a significant one, similarly carnivores/omnivores see a significant difference between humans and other animals.
    Ultimately it is a personal decision, but it does run deep. For example (as I have said before) I might eat a bacon sandwich to save a member of my family, but wouldn't eat a bacon sandwich if it guaranteed Charlton promotion.
  • Options
    It's a spurious argument. Plants aren't sentient. Animals are.

The rest is ethics/morality - and everyone's is different. For instance:

Eating other people (bad - 99.9999% of people)
    Eating other peoples' pets (bad - 99.999% of people) 
    Eating animals people often keep as pets (bad - 90% of people) 
    Eating animals other than fish (bad - 30% of people) 
    Eating any animals, or products made from or with ingredients from animals (bad - 10% of people) 
    Eating anything other than fruit (bad - 0.001% of people) 
    Eating anything at all ('Breatharians') (bad - 0.0001% of people) 

Those figures are not accurate but illustrative only. You see where the 'meat of the curve' (pun intended) is? It's in the middle there - somewhere between cannibalism and fucking idiots who think they can survive on good intentions and oxygen
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Huskaris said:
    Can we create a group for Anna Kissed called "spam" so I don't see it wherever I go. 

There's a thin line between informing and preaching, and you are a mile the other side of it. 

As someone who is coming round to the idea that I need to eat less meat, be more environmentally friendly etc, I find being lectured by people a real turn off, and I'm sure many others feel the same. 

Emotive language in silly articles really doesn't help the cause. Words like "murderer" and "hate" do not help to move the debate forward and just create an us and them mentality. 

The battle for veganism and environmentalism is a hearts and minds war. This nonsense does nothing to change minds and just entrenches views. 
    Would love this to happen, maybe don't call it SPAM...

Lol. "Meat free alternative slop"
  • Options
    This time right now where a surprising amount of my friends are either going meat free, vegan or just trying to seriously cut down the amount of meat they consume, is the best time to do the hearts and minds approach. 

I've said fir a long time that I was a hypocrite who would not want to slaughter, skin and gut an animal and was happy to believe meat came in a hermetically sealed package and wasnt an animal. I'm now getting into 2 months meat free apart from 2 occasions that I mentioned. And it's not that difficult. 

it's always the extreme vegans that ruin the hearts and minds stuff to get through to the bull headed attitude of "I eat meat and drive a V8 and don't give a shit" 

I probably fell into that category for a log time but it's all about feeling better as well. Now I no longer have a conveyor belt of flesh to digest I genuinely feel a lot better. It's also about kicking back at food retailers and producers who have been gradually eroding the quality of produce for a long time

Bread is no longer baked long enough to bake properly and is made with a nasty refined wheat that upsets a log if peoples guts for example. The other one being most meat being injected with saline that immediately leaves the meat shrivelled and tasteless. 
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:

You sound as swivel-headed as Anna
    That was the general intention - get it?