Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    For example (as I have said before) I might eat a bacon sandwich to save a member of my family, but wouldn't eat a bacon sandwich if it guaranteed Charlton promotion.

I’ll do it so you don’t have to mate 👍🏼
  • Options
    I'm not trying to fuel any fires here i'm just genuinely interested - If someone owned their own chickens and they were well looked after, what would be a vegans issue with them eating the eggs they lay?
  • Options
    It's an animal product so the vegans wouldn't be happy.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    That's not my point. I know they wouldn't eat it, i'm just curious why not in that specific example
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I'm not trying to fuel any fires here i'm just genuinely interested - If someone owned their own chickens and they were well looked after, what would be a vegans issue with them eating the eggs they lay?
    There are varying degrees of veganism so not everyone will be the same (people may disagree with this which is fair). After going veggie earlier this year, I'm almost fully vegan now myself, but if I had my own chickens then I would eat the eggs they lay. Whether that means I'm no longer technically a vegan, perhaps, but being 'vegan' is just a 'label' anyway.

Most vegans I know enjoyed the taste of meat, animal products, etc. but have stopped due to the mass production of animals/animal products, poor animal living conditions and the impact this mass production has on the environment.

Having your own chickens means no mass production, meaning better conditions for the animal (moral argument) and a lesser impact on the environment (environmental argument).
  • Options

While I'm at it, I think there is a dilemma in rescuing turkeys from being Xmas dinner. I rescued 4 turkeys a couple of years ago. There was a farm who had 30 turkeys and someone paid him to take them all and then rehome them. Nice though it was to see the chicks grow (and they grew fast - due to breeding) it became clear that the male turkey was putting on a lot of weight. He remained much heavier than the girls and, as a result, suffered from foot and leg problems. He got to a point were standing was difficult and we made the decision to have him PTS. The 3 girls are still doing well and are healthy.

So, keeping them alive for longer than they are bred for can lead to problems for the birds. In addition I am sure that farmers are jumping on the 'save a turkey' bandwagon and breeding more than they would have done.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    And another thing! No, I'd better get back to cleaning the chooks out :)
  • Options
    I have been a veggie for well over 30 years but still dream of, and have fond memories of tinned salmon sandwiches and cod and chips.
    Will never experience that stuff again though.

• Options
    iaitch said:
    That's not my point. I know they wouldn't eat it, i'm just curious why not in that specific example
    As you may know, I rescue chickens :) I eat the eggs of the ones I have at home who are living a free life in good surroundings. I don't eat any other eggs or products with eggs. This technically doesn't make me a vegan - but I'll cope!
    Considering the amount of work you do saving chickens, I’d say you’re well in credit to take the odd egg or two.
  • Options
    M&S Plant Kitchen - The Nutcracker. Best sarnie ever.
  • Options
    A month after Animal Rebellion camped out at London's Smithfield Market and promoted its vision of a plant-based food future, wholesale meat trader P.J. Martinelli has teamed up with Moving Mountains Foods to sell the 800 year old market's first Vegan burger.

https://movingmountainsfoods.com/smithfield-meat-market-to-stock-food-tech-plant-based-meat/ 
    I bet he did! And will he stop being a meat trader? I’ll take a wild guess......
  • Options
    A month after Animal Rebellion camped out at London's Smithfield Market and promoted its vision of a plant-based food future, wholesale meat trader P.J. Martinelli has teamed up with Moving Mountains Foods to sell the 800 year old market's first Vegan burger.

https://movingmountainsfoods.com/smithfield-meat-market-to-stock-food-tech-plant-based-meat/ 
    Whilst you can argue it’s a step in the right direction, they’ve done it for one reason and one reason only, there’s money to be made from it. Nothing to do with any ecological viewpoint. 
  • Options

I bet he did! And will he stop being a meat trader? I’ll take a wild guess......
    As you will guess. Of course he will still be selling dead animals. He has just used his noggin and will make a shilling or two selling vegan burgers.
  • Options
    All so predictable. I had drafted my comment with the words Some will call this hypocrisy. Others will say it's 'jumping on the bandwagon', 'All about £££', etc. 
    I decided to remove it and let the thing stand for what it said.

The fact is that Extinction Rebellion and Animal Rebellion did something positive and made the water ripple. Sometimes winning isn't instant. Some things take time to change. Changes ARE being realised.

Oh...and, by chance, just as I type this, the influence of Animal Rebellion in raising the profile of a plant-based diet is being mentioned on BBC Radio 4's Start The Week...

If I'm honest Game Changers on Netflix made me most aware of the benefits of eating a plant based diet. The extinction rebellion stuff achieved the objective of annoying people. 

Thing is, I understand the point but the delivery was appalling. At best it was odd at worst it was no better than the morons who defaced memorials during the anti capitalism protests 

Delivering information that idiots like me can understand and buy into is the way to go about it, not by blocking roads and jumping on roofs of trains 
  • Options
    Anna it's not the  Doctors, nurses, teachers, scientists and priests that you need to worry about though, its the nutjobs blocking tubes from working that get you all tarred with the same brush.

Remove the fringe nutters from the movement and you might (hopefully) see it's message spread with more favour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:
    All so predictable. I had drafted my comment with the words Some will call this hypocrisy. Others will say it's 'jumping on the bandwagon', 'All about £££', etc. 
    I decided to remove it and let the thing stand for what it said.

The fact is that Extinction Rebellion and Animal Rebellion did something positive and made the water ripple. Sometimes winning isn't instant. Some things take time to change. Changes ARE being realised.

Oh...and, by chance, just as I type this, the influence of Animal Rebellion in raising the profile of a plant-based diet is being mentioned on BBC Radio 4's Start The Week...

If I'm honest Game Changers on Netflix made me most aware of the benefits of eating a plant based diet. The extinction rebellion stuff achieved the objective of annoying people. 

Thing is, I understand the point but the delivery was appalling. At best it was odd at worst it was no better than the morons who defaced memorials during the anti capitalism protests 

Delivering information that idiots like me can understand and buy into is the way to go about it, not by blocking roads and jumping on roofs of trains 
     Was just about to post re game changers as hadn’t seen it mentioned. A pretty fascinating documentary with a number of different scientific studies into the pros of a plant based diet. Would highly recommend, even for those with no intention of converting.
  • Options
    Anna it's not the  Doctors, nurses, teachers, scientists and priests that you need to worry about though, its the nutjobs blocking tubes from working that get you all tarred with the same brush.

Remove the fringe nutters from the movement and you might (hopefully) see it's message spread with more favour.
    It’s the patronising tone that grates with me.
  • Options

you still wouldn't trust them offering kids a vegan sausage...
  • Options
    Carter said:

On the subject of Game changers... 

I've just watched it after my longest term injury yet and struggling to get the body back ticking over and it has me very very interested in giving it a proper go. 

So much proven science compared to all the shock tactics.

• Options

My beef would be cholesterol.