Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    Anny
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/gadhimai-hindu-festival-largest-animal-sacrifice-nepal-india-buffalo-a9230786.html
    You off to the Indian sub-continent to put a stop to this, or are you happy to offer keyboard support to those disrupting a country with one of the highest standards of animal welfare in the world?

• Options
    Surely all animal husbandry that ends with the animal being killed is the same standard of animal welfare wherever it happens in the world? The key equalising factor being that they get killed.
    I suspect the standards applied in the UK to animal husbandry before slaughter are related to reassuring the end consumer more than reassuring any animal.
    I accept the concept of 'natural state' is nuanced and debatable, but the rearing of animals for slaughter does not seem to me to be the animals in their natural state, so wherever it happens in the world animals are similarly constrained and I don't see the point of making comparisons.
    They live, they get killed, their bodies get used wherever it happens.
    Maybe in the UK each chicken has an hour with a padre before death to ease things along.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Surely all animal husbandry that ends with the animal being killed is the same standard of animal welfare wherever it happens in the world? The key equalising factor being that they get killed.
    I suspect the standards applied in the UK to animal husbandry before slaughter are related to reassuring the end consumer more than reassuring any animal.
    You might think that, but sorry to say you are wrong.
    Educate yourself in reality by spending some time on a pastoral farm.

If you think it’s equivalent to mass farming in Asia, Africa or the Middle East then I feel sorry for you.
  • Options
    The equivalence is animals raised for slaughter is it not?
    Do pastoral farms offer their animals everlasting life or something?
    You speculate as to what I think, and on the basis of your speculation you feel sorry for me.
    Feel sorry for something real, not something you imagine.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You speculate as to what I think, and on the basis of your speculation you feel sorry for me.
    It's hardly something imagined when you literally posted about it an hour before his comment.

The idea that torturing an animal is no worse than not torturing an animal if the end result is the animal being killed is an odd one.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It's hardly something imagined when you literally posted about it an hour before his comment.

The idea that torturing an animal is no worse than not torturing an animal if the end result is the animal being killed is an odd one.
    You are mistaken. Read the words actually written if you need to clear it up.
    I have not referenced torturing an animal either.
  • Options
  • Options
    'The key equalising factor.'
  • Options
    Exactly, my point is there's no equalising factor, clearly one is far worse than the other.

MrWalker pointed that out, you told him he'd speculated/imagined something when it was exactly what you'd said.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Ooops....wrong thread. Now deleted.
  • Options
    mmmm chocolate....
  • Options
    I'm giving Veganuary a try in 2020, can anyone share a typical shopping list?
  • Options
    A lot of this stuff is overkill for Veganuary (how much agave are you going to get through in a month), but:

Is good

• Options
    I'm considering veganuary too, interested in how it makes me feel. 

My question is work lunches...any suggestions? I have limited time for meal prep at night. 
  • Options

My question is work lunches...any suggestions? I have limited time for meal prep at night. 
    salad with cashew nuts and drizzle some olive oil and balsamic vinegar on it. 

One thing I'll say is be wary of trying to go mad and do full vegan straight away 
  • Options
    Carter said:

One thing I'll say is be wary of trying to go mad and do full vegan straight away 
    Thanks, I'm eating veggie 70-80% of the time anyway so shouldn't be an issue. It's the unnecessary sandwich that will really cause the issue.

Do you mean because your body won't like it, or because it's tough to change menu?
  • Options
    Carter said:

Thanks, I'm eating veggie 70-80% of the time anyway so shouldn't be an issue. It's the unnecessary sandwich that will really cause the issue.

Do you mean because your body won't like it, or because it's tough to change menu?
    No your body will be fine mate, your digestive health will certainly improve immediately. It's more the aggro of discovering things previously seemingly innocently free of animal products are off menu. 

On the plus side most supermarkets have cottoned on to the money to be made from vegans so plenty of choice. Just a bit more dicking about looking at labels 
  • Options

I'm currently eating vegetable soup with a bread roll
  • Options
    Interesting discussion in our house last night.

Eldest son: I'm thinking of going vegan.
    Mrs Stig: You can't do that.
    Eldest: Why not?
    MS: You need your proteins, you're a growing lad.
    Eldest: I'm 25
    MS Well, you still need proteins.
    Eldest: That's exactly what nan says about you being a vegetarian, isn't it?
    MS: Hmmm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

An entire pack of oreos 
  • Options

Takes ages to prepare a vegan cheese and tomato roll.
  • Options
    I find that having copious amounts of pre-prepared vegetable stock opens up many avenues. Especially with grains and pulses as they are, generally speaking, a bit bland if they've only interacted with water. Also, gravy makes everything better (gravy produced from aforementioned stock, of course).
  • Options

I work with a guy whose wife decided they were going vegan earlier this year, they really struggled at first but they were trying to make vegan versions of their favourite dishes and he reckons part of the struggle was that the vegan dish was never going to taste the same. once they started cooking new things and using it as an opportunity to learn new things he reckons it became a lot easier. 

basically embrace it and use it as an opportunity to add some dishes to your  repertoire