Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    I'm considering veganuary too, interested in how it makes me feel. 

My question is work lunches...any suggestions? I have limited time for meal prep at night. 

Home made soup 
  • Options
    I have tried going Vegan over the past 4 months. All good apart from cheese so I am going to make chegan happen. All vegan Cheese is yuk. 

And if anyone had a plant based yoghurt recipe please let me know. 2 attempts with Christmas yoghurt maker down the sink so far. 
  • Options
    I had a few slices of pizza on offer at work last week and ate the one with vegan cheese. I didnt know any difference if im honest.
  • Options
    KFC have released a vegan burger too.
  • Options
    Plant-based has got so easy now in the UK. 
  • Options
    I self-identify as a carrot. I'm coming after you vegan bastards.

• Options
    The claim that ethical veganism is a belief was not contested by the respondent, so hardly a surprise decision. The decision regarding the unfair dismissal claim is next week where he has to prove it was because of this 'belief' that he was dismissed. 

It isn't really that significant - all it would do is protect an ethical vegan from direct or indirect discrimination in relation to his or her beliefs. It does not give the right for vegans to effectively object to, let's say for example, an employer having leather sofas in their reception! In the same way that employers do not need to provide prayer rooms and time off for daily prayers.   

Moreover, today's ruling does not become law by precedent as I understand this was in an Employment Tribunal, rather than an Employment Appeals Tribunal.   

• Options
    If everyone has to accommodate vegans, therefore as someone who is allergic to nuts, should it not be my right that every food not containing nuts is guaranteed not to have traces of them?

Or as it’s not a belief, does that not matter?

I actually agree with him calling them out, but on first viewing but the extent of the ruling seems to open the floodgates for anyone that believes anything.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    The claim that ethical veganism is a belief was not contested by the respondent, so hardly a surprise decision. The decision regarding the unfair dismissal claim is next week where he has to prove it was because of this 'belief' that he was dismissed. 

It isn't really that significant - all it would do is protect an ethical vegan from direct or indirect discrimination in relation to his or her beliefs. It does not give the right for vegans to effectively object to, let's say for example, an employer having leather sofas in their reception! In the same way that employers do not need to provide prayer rooms and time off for daily prayers.   

Moreover, today's ruling does not become law by precedent as I understand this was in an Employment Tribunal, rather than an Employment Appeals Tribunal.   

thanks bob
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

An employment tribunal has ruled today that ethical veganism is a philosophical belief protected by law from discrimination.

The ruling is significant for the hundreds of thousands of vegans across the country as it means that employers and public sector institutions must give due regard to the needs of vegans.

Britain is a hilariously stupid country. We see these rulings and LOL at the ridiculousness of your government.

Enough of this silliness, I need to get back to normal things, like seeing who our government is assassinating today and which war we are in. I’ve lost track.
  • Options
    Just to nitpick for a moment, @NapaAddick, but for the time being the courts and the government are separate. I imagine Boris will do his best to change that, but this ruling does not come from the government.
  • Options
    Jesus H Christ this is the last bloody thing we need. As if vegans didn't have a bad enough name in the first place. Why can't we just get on with being vegans in peace without making such a bloody song and dance about it all?

• Options
    bobmunro said:

It isn't really that significant - all it would do is protect an ethical vegan from direct or indirect discrimination in relation to his or her beliefs. It does not give the right for vegans to effectively object to, let's say for example, an employer having leather sofas in their reception! 

Sounds quite significant when you put it like that! I’d much rather be protected from discrimination than have a say in the office furniture!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Care package has arrived.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    bobmunro said:

It isn't really that significant - all it would do is protect an ethical vegan from direct or indirect discrimination in relation to his or her beliefs. It does not give the right for vegans to effectively object to, let's say for example, an employer having leather sofas in their reception! 

Sounds quite significant when you put it like that! I’d much rather be protected from discrimination than have a say in the office furniture!

Everyone should be (and is) protected from unfair treatment - whether or not that is a protected characteristic as defined in the Equality Act, or not.
    But the way it was being covered on the radio when I was driving home last night was quite frankly ridiculous sensationalism. As an example, supermarket check-out assistants refusing to serve customers with any meat or dairy products claiming ethical veganism as a protection. Well I'm sorry, that wouldn't protect them - if they continued with that behaviour then ultimately they could be fairly dismissed.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Cloudworm said:
    bobmunro said:

Everyone should be (and is) protected from unfair treatment - whether or not that is a protected characteristic as defined in the Equality Act, or not.
    But the way it was being covered on the radio when I was driving home last night was quite frankly ridiculous sensationalism. As an example, supermarket check-out assistants refusing to serve customers with any meat or dairy products claiming ethical veganism as a protection. Well I'm sorry, that wouldn't protect them - if they continued with that behaviour then ultimately they could be fairly dismissed.
    And it would be entirely right to dismiss them.

Beliefs, religious or otherwise should not allow you to infringe on the legal behaviour of others. 

Acts such as storming meat serving restaurants etc to chant at paying customers should be illegal in my opinion.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    KFC have released a vegan burger too.
    My son had one and said it was lovely. He did say though that the guy in the shop warned him off of having chips with it because they are cooked in the same fat as the chicken. 
  • Options
    Anyone got any good veggie or vegan recipes for food that's both filling and quick to cook. I'd like to break out of the cycle of endless veggie burgers and quorn sausages and prepare more food from scratch, but I don't have a lot of time (though I might, if I spent less time here), and have even less ideas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beans are easy to cook, very versatile and filling. A veggie chilli is great.
  • Options
    Agree about chilli. If you have the time and facilities you can cook a huge amount of chilli and freeze portions to have another time.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Thanks guys. The one good recipe I have is my Puy lentil chilli  ;)
  • Options
    Red lentil dahl, just search e.g. BBC recipes, can add what you like to it mushrooms, squash etc. - optionally coconut milk for some sweetness.
    Put some mash on top of your chilli, pop it in the oven - hey presto cottage pie.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Anyone got any good veggie or vegan recipes for food that's both filling and quick to cook. I'd like to break out of the cycle of endless veggie burgers and quorn sausages and prepare more food from scratch, but I don't have a lot of time (though I might, if I spent less time here), and have even less ideas.
    Try The Happy Pear channel on YouTube. They do a five minute prep series (more like 30minutes when you factor in there are two of them and they’re professionals). Relatively simple recipes without using anything daft like liquid smoke or shelled hemp hearts!
  • Options
    Roast dinner tomorrow with a Quorn fillet.

shoot me now
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Try Mayflower chinese curry powder. Fry up onions,  a pepper,  broccoli and mushrooms along with some quorn pieces. Then throw in a third of the powder, add around 400ml water, bring to boil and simmer, throw in some peas, stir and bubble for a few minutes. Then serve with boiled rice or if you have time home made chips oven cooked in frylight and it is gorgeous and low fat to boot. I make it in bulk and everyone seems to love it.
  • Options
    And this is why I would never go to a fast food emporium for their vegan options whilst they still primarily sell meat products.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/kfc-vegan-burger-chicken-vegetarian-17511479.amp